Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies 1930's Sexy Curvy Single Breasted Dark Brown Pinstriped Wool Suit

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ladies 1930's Sexy Curvy Single Breasted Dark Brown Pinstriped Wool Suit

I am selling off parts of my 25 year clothing and accessory collection. I will post items here as they become available.

Postage is listed for US residents. For international shipments, please contact me for postage rates.

Pictures

1930s_brownsuit1b.JPG

1930s_brownsuit1g.JPG

1930s_brownsuit1s.JPG
1930s_brownsuit1o.JPG

If you want a power suit that says sexy, sexy, sexy, look no further! I've collected vintage for 25 years, and I am starting to sell off my collection. This is the one of the best 1930's suit I ever came across. My mannequin is too large for this suit, so the jacket and skirt don't lay correctly. The outfit is in near pristine condition and lay fine when hung on a mannequin or person with the correct measurements.

This auction is for a 1930's Sexy Curvy Single Breasted Dark Brown Pinstriped Wool Suit. Jacket has fantastic shaping, and shoulders are padded, catching with a single button in front of the jacket. Jacket is partially lined as shown and is dark brown wool with faint pinstripes of red and white. Sleeves are completely lined. The day was extremely bright, so many of the jacket pictures appear to be lighter than the fabric really is. There is a split (kick pleat) on both sides of the skirt, and the skirt buttons up the side with 3 original buttons as shown. No lining to the skirt, but trimmed out with large ribbon inside skirt as shown. Finished pockets - 3 exterior, and 1 interior, with faux buttonhole in lapel. The finishing on this suit is astounding and can rarely be found anymore.

There are two labels in the suit:
1930s_brownsuit1aa.JPG

Styled in Hollywood California Hollywood Clothes Tailored for Levy's Tucson, Arizona.
Other label reads: This article Berlou Moth Proofed 5 Year Guarantee

This suit has been dry cleaned and can be pressed and worn immediately upon delivery.

Actual Color of Suit:
1930s_brownsuit1z.JPG

Jacket
Inside of shoulders: 15"
Shoulder to shoulder: 16"
Bust: Up to 36"
Sleeve Length: 22.5"
Length from neck to hem: 29"
Skirt
Waist: 24"
Length from waist: 28"
Hips: Up to 36"
Almost in pristine condition. Stains under arms on interior of jacket (does not show on exterior of jacket), one small worn area in front of skirt. Other photo shows that hanging loop for jacket needs to be stitched back in with two stitches on interior of jacket. One pinhole on back of skirt.
About this clothing: All clothing is vintage and gently used, unless otherwise listed. Any flaws should be listed. My mannequin does not stand perfectly straight and leans a bit to one side, so some items will appear to have crooked seams or uneven construction. THE CLOTHING DOES NOT HAVE CROOKED SEAMS.

More photos available. Would consider a trade for other items in excellent condition.

Price: $225 US, includes shipping costs, insurance, etc.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I think you may have a case there Baron. Proportionate width to length of collar, then the pocket detail would take me down that line. No idea about the inside. Lovely piece though whatever.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
so what do you reckon? Is that a men's suit that's been recut for a female?

no way BK ! it buttons the female way. how could you get rid of a button-hole on the male side of the jacket ? how could you get rid of pockets on the back of the trousers ?

great fabric though.

Caledonia

Practically Family
And why would we wear a button hole? A wider jacket would be taken in and rebuttonholed (is that a real word?). I currently have a 48 inch chest gents 30s dinner jacket that has more than enough room in the design to be taken down to a, say,44 inch, with realigned button holes. Totally up for accepting the point but without more close up pictures of seaming etc, I don't think we can be conclusive. Or does someone want to go for it?

Vintage Betty

Love the discussion

Yes, it's a ladies suit. It used to fit me perfectly, until I um....decided to expand my thighs and other areas. It is near pristine, and shows no indication of being reworked.

I have more suits I will be selling, and some I'm not. I tried on one of my 1940's Lilli Ann suits last night and it looks glorious. However, I need new buttons and than I will pose and take post a pic.

If you have a comment on the price, I'd appreciate a private note. I researched it before deciding to let it go, and from what I've seen, these suits are being posted for $600+ by online retailers.

Vintage Betty

Caledonia

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Yeah, but you'd reduce the size at the side and back seams. Doing so at the front closure would totally screw the lapel balance.

bk

I concur, or are we getting confused? I wouldn't adjust the front at all. To take it in might need armhole adjustments though - pretty scary and not looking forward to it!

Vintage Betty

Yes, I've actually tried to rework suits like you are discussing. It's not for the faint of heart and very difficult to rework all the parts.

The entire balance of the man's or woman's suit is put off and other areas have to be adjusted. It can get messy or expensive very quickly.

Vintage Betty

Caledonia

Practically Family
Occasionally better just to invest in an new suit! :) Love the make do and mend hints but how did they actually do that in the ordinary household and get it to work (ref previous comment about gents trouser back pockets re turning trousers into skirts).

Actually I've just realised I'm in the classifieds and so not in the appropriate zone. Sorry, going.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
It's the lining that's really throwing me off. None of the baronesses 30s/40s suits have such details, and ALL of my American suits have them.

i know it instantly looks mannish by association, but why wouldn't women's suits have skeleton lining ? the suit would have exactly the same cooler properties that men's have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points