Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies - a cashmere scarf for a gift -- good idea?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Hi. I thought of posting this in The Powder Room, but I didn't want to intrude. At any rate, I thought I'd ask advice from the ladies and men in the know.

I have a very close friend. We're not in a relationship, really, but very close, and we have exchanged small gifts for birthdays and the like. I wanted to get her something small and special for Christmas, and just happened to think that a cashmere scarf would be perfect. So...

First of all, think I'm in my right mind?

Also, cashmere seems to be either surprisingly cheap or eye-wideningly expensive. Is there a good quality scarf that will last for a long time, but that's still within the acceptable-from-a-very-close-friend price range?

And would it be better to go vintage? She's not into vintage, really, but she is very fashion-conscious.

Finally, any tips on where to shop?

Thank you.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I think the scarf as a gift idea is classy.

I'm not a gal so my personal experience is offered for what it's worth, but I bought a scarf/muffler/what-have-you for myself in Ireland a few years ago. At the same time, I bought a more feminine, fashionable (Cashmere, I think) scarf for my girlfriend. Since then, we've figured out that I got the better part of the deal and she loves my muffler because it not only looks good but it REALLY WORKS. This thing is the warmest.

The tag on it reads; BONNER OF IRELAND and it is made of 87% Merino Wool, 8% Polyamide and 5% Cashmere.

It's pictured on me below but would work for male or female and this 'color' goes with everything.

G'luck!

DSC_0007.jpg

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks, that really helps. I think I just have to find the right one. Color is another thing I'm considering. Something neutral like grey or brown, or something bolder, like red, as an accent. And new of vintage. I have some shopping around to do, I guess.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
A cashmere scarf is a wonderful gift. It doesn't have the same connotations as say, a fancy piece of jewelry, but still lets her know you care (in a more-than-handshake but not-quite-a-kiss way), and it's something she'd probably like to have and might not buy for herself. If you don't think she'd appreciate the vintage, play it safe with a large department store. Personally, I'd love a wine color, deep red or gray. Just be sure and have fun shopping!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I think it would be very nice! Last year my BFF gave me cashmere gloves and I ADORE them! They're very well made for a higher end retailer, but she is quite the bargain hunter and got them at Gabriel Brother's...which might be a good place to start since I see you live in Ohio. If not Macy's ALWAYS has some kind of sale on and that helps take the sting out of a crazy price tag! Good luck!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A few questions for you to consider:

• Does she usually wear scarves?
  • What is her style: classic, romantic, dramatic, granola girl?
  • What color is the coat she'll be wearing the scarf with?
  • What colors does she look good in?
  • What size is she? I know scarves are supposed to be one size fits all, but a small woman might be overwhelmed by a big, bulky scarf.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Ms McGraw. Good thinking. I was kind of looking at the J Crew cashmere scarves, since the prices there seem reasonable, maybe even adding socks. (I was considering hazelnut or dark poppy, but one may be too tame, the other too loud).

Paisley. Thanks.
--She wears them on occasion.
--Her style. It's hard to describe. It's kind of classic / romantic with a lot of color, or flair or something. She often wears simpler but fashionable outfits then uses colorful scarves, jewelry and shoes. (She has a lot of shoes, many of which look insanely painful. She called me "grandpa" once when she showed me one of her latest buys, which was absurdly high-heeled.) Maybe that would be dramatic? She's of Hispanic descent if that helps.
--She has a few, but probably black or green.
Edit--forgot colors. She likes blacks, mainly (with the colorful accents), but also wears a lot of green and gray. I've never seen her look bad.
--She's fairly short, about 5'1"

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Now we're cooking with gas. Based on the data you provided, possibly the best choice would be an emerald green scarf with a fine texture, narrow and not too long. A medium-rose scarf might go well with her green coat and coloring.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
As a person who is allergic to wool, I wouldn't wear such a gift. You might want to think about if you've seen her wearing wool before. If not, might want to re-think the gift.

My $.02.

just_me

Practically Family
Paisley said:
A few questions for you to consider:

• Does she usually wear scarves?
  • What is her style: classic, romantic, dramatic, granola girl?
  • What color is the coat she'll be wearing the scarf with?
  • What colors does she look good in?
  • What size is she? I know scarves are supposed to be one size fits all, but a small woman might be overwhelmed by a big, bulky scarf.
Another question - Is she allergic to cashmere?

I know a couple of people who cannot wear cashmere.

Edited to say:
Ooops. Babydoll beat me to the allergy thing. It is important to think about. I can't wear wool. ITCHY!!!!

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

Deacon, I'm thinking about that, too.

I also read some things on Alpaca wool being pretty special, too. Maybe I can find a good store that has both.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sertsa said:
cashmere seems to be either surprisingly cheap or eye-wideningly expensive.
With cashmere, like most things, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking: Scottish cashmere occupies the top tier, Chinese cashmere the bottom and Italian cashmere quality runs the gamut. There's nothing worse than cheap cashmere, with its inferior hand and constant pilling. Personally, I'd much rather have a top quality Merino wool than a cheap cashmere.

Sertsa said:
within the acceptable-from-a-very-close-friend price range?
And what price-point would that be?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks. That's why I'm suspicious about a lot of cashmere, especially the scarves that are around $30. I was thinking more in the range of $100, but I'm not sure about that, either. I definitely don't want the cheap stuff, which is why I'm also looking at Alpaca.

I'll also have to do some shopping. I tend to try to find cool, smaller shops, but that's getting increasingly difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko