Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Scarves

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone here know anything about ladies scarves? My mommie just gave me my Grandmother's old scarves and I know nothing about them. My Grandma passed in 1978, one month before I was born, so these scarves are earlier than 1979. How much earlier, I am unsure. Here are some photos. If anyone can offer any info that would be great, Many thanks in advance.

The first 2 are cotton and the others are all silk.

P1120488b.jpg

P1120489b.jpg

P1120490b.jpg

P1120491b.jpg

P1120492b.jpg

P1120493b.jpg

P1120494b.jpg

P1120495b.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
that pierre one is really pretty. that's great that they belonged to gramma. makes them extra special.

i collect scarves. i have about 20 (that is my estimate, i've never counted them)
however...i know NOTHING about scarves. i just buy what i like. i wear mine alot in the summer on my head. i've never researched them or know any name brands.

i have a local thrift store that has a great selection every time i go and they are usually under $2 each. so that's why i have so many. the one in my avatar is my favorite.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Looks like most of them are 60s/70s. I love the polka dot one! I would have to feel them to be more sure of the time period. Sometimes it is impossible to tell, though-some styles of scarf never go out of style.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Sweet Honesty is an Avon perfume, so I'm guessing the scarf is from Avon & probably part of a fragrance gift set. I think Cardin was really big in the 1960s-70s, and I really like the bottom one with all the prints. Most expensive scarves have hand rolled & stiched hems, and you can see the print on both sides.

Caledonia

Practically Family
No expert here either, but I'd say the first three could be 50s, but also later. The Cardin and the spotty one look 80s to me, and if I was buying the Lautrec I'd be looking for a 50s touch to an outfit, but it could be any age. Are they hand rolled or machined? That isn't definitive because it goes with quality as well as age, but my older scarfs (30s 40s) are generally hand rolled, the 50s ones are a mix, and after that anything I've seen has been machined.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Oh gosh, I love the one with the Greek artefacts on, I studied Greek archaeology at University.

they are all beautiful.

x

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another Freecycle Motherlode

I just got about 50 scarves from Freecycle, all appear vintage so far.

I'm curious about one with a sea anemone (!) pattern marked Brooke Cadwallader. Google indicates she's collectible. Anyone?

More brands... Continuing through, I've come across a Vera (heard of her), a Hercules, a really fab headscarf with a beach umbrella print, a great leopard silk, plenty of silk hankies (a bit shabby, could have been stored better), some realy adoroble novelty patterns in here (must take pics)! HRH princess Elizabeth's Coat of Arms print with "Congratulations Princess Elizabeth." Ok, I'll stop! Pics coming.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Princess Elizabeth was married in....I believe 1947 said a website I found. Cool! And another is "Sally Gee" who is collectible as well, but not particlarly valuable. Same seems to be true for "Glentey."

Ada Veen

Practically Family
They are beautiful! I have loads of scarves, though I rarely wear them. I have an interesting one marked 'Jeanne Lanvin Paris' if I can tag a question about that on the end of Lolita's. I found it in a bin*

* don't ask, I have a terrible, terrible, bin habit. My most worn circle skirt was also found in a bin, as well as numerous other articles of clothing (including some cool prison issue duck egg blue t-shirts). My favourite scarf was found tied round a lamp-post :rolleyes:

Mojito

One Too Many
I have a Lanvin as well - it's white silk [?], advertising Arpege with the house logo. Someone gave it to me when they found I was a Lanvin fan - a promotional piece, probably from the 80s or so, I guess.

Miss Bella Hell, you have the best finds! Love to see pics of the anenome scarf - I love tastefully rendered sea critters.

Mary

Practically Family
Lovely scarves L!

I'd like to see pictures of you 30's and 40's scarves,Caledonia.And how do you see if they are handrolled and stitched or mechanically sewn?

I have some scarves but I don't use them. How do you use yours? I don't think I've seen so many pictures in Ladies of the Lounge with scarves so maybe you just collect to.

M

Mary

Practically Family
And one more thing. How do you store them?

I took out some scarves and I don't like that they are wrinkly and have pleats on them. That's probably why I never use them. Maybe I should hang them like I do with clothes?

M

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I don't really use mine either. I tend to tie them round my head or use them as belts, and that's it. I have a bigger, indian silk one that I wear like a woolen scarf for warmer days, but I find the others too small for neck wear for my tastes.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Here are my faves. There are tons more.

Just love this one for some reason.
DSCN0505.jpg

The sea anemone one by Brooke Cadwallader
DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

Adorable cotton headscarf, I guess, with beach umbrella print
DSCN0509.jpg

College banners! I found UCLA but haven't found Hofstra yet
DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

California poppies!
DSCN0512.jpg

I do love old leopard print.
DSCN0513.jpg

and since you asked, here's how I'm going to wear most of them!
FSCN0514.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Exactly, Miss_Bella_Hell, that's the way to wear them. They're a lovely way to top off/ add color to an outfit instead of a necklace. I usually wear them 'round my head to keep my hair in one place, since it's always windy where I live.

Mary

Practically Family
wow! Miss bella hell you have lots of beautiful scarves. Love how you tie them. It looks like a very nice knot.

My grandma wanted to teach my how to tie scarves but I never listened cause I thought they looked grown-up. Guess there is a homepage on how to do that too. Do you know any?

M

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lovely scarves Bella. They all look about 60s-ish to me, but then again, I dont know too much about scarves.

DSCN0512.jpg

THis one is my favorite! :rolleyes:

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
I love scarves and have a ton. Since I am a vendor I cannot show some I have for sale but I have a 1964 Worlds Fair one that is great.
I cannot believe Bella that you could get so many for free. Wow.
After you look at enough of them you really start seeing the quality of the silk and material in general.
Paoli, Vera, alot of designers over the years made them. Like little works of art and so easy for storage. I cannot find a scarve/scarf collector club which surprises me really.
Maybe we can start a FL scarf club. I vote Bella for President. lol since she is ahead of alot of us.
and Lolita for Vice President since she started this thread. In Honor of her Grandmother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana