Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with cigarettes

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
In classic movies, a lady would sometimes be seen with a cigarette hanging about, so with what was considered 'classy' then, is it still viewed as 'classy' or 'sexy' now?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I prefer a lady with a corncob pipe.

art00038.jpg

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Hmm... I know it is no longer "politically correct," but if the lady possesses a certain air or perhaps a peculiarly high degree of class I could find it quite attractive.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Like so many things, it depends on the lady. After all, a Dior dress can look incredible on one lady and unspeakable on another.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I dont think it looks cool...its just a habit.
As a disgusting evil smoker myself, I find that I rarely notice anymore if people smoke, unless its some white trash woman driving down the road with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth yelling at her husband in the passenger seat. Then I think to myself... I really really really hope I dont look like that when I smoke.

But then again, I smoke little cigarettes that fit in my vintage cigarette case, not 12 inch Pall Malls. And, I dont chain smoke! (unless I'm nervous)

-Jess

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
The only woman I've ever explicitly thought looked good smoking was Anne Bancroft. Now that she's no longer with us I generally can't think of anyone else... I wonder if Dorothy Dandridge smoked...

L_H

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
This is just a touch off topic, but have you all noticed that it seems like everyone in The Twilight Zone smoked.... except the children (as far as I know). It's funny watching a scene with a doctor or scientist lighting up in the office/lab though. OK, i'm done. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
twilight zone....some cigarette endorsement going on there? :)
Interesting that it depends on the lady. I think whether man or women smoking is gross...I hate the smell, which tends to seep into everything. Although, a man smoking a good cigar I find to be sexy and it doesn't smell bad at all.

J.B.

Practically Family
Hoo Wee, Babee!

Lena_Horne said:
The only woman I've ever explicitly thought looked good smoking was Anne Bancroft. Now that she's no longer with us I generally can't think of anyone else...L_H

Coo coo ca choo, Mrs. Robinson :arated:

Yup! Chicks that smoke make me nuts! :essen:

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
It depends.

Usually those women who look sexy or classy when they smoke would look sexy or classy doing just about anything. It is an attitude, a complete package. It is not the cigarette. It can be attractive and add to the appeal...from a distance. I am an ex-smoker, and having had the roles reversed, I don't see how I ever got a second kiss from a non-smoker.

mysterygal said:
In classic movies, a lady would sometimes be seen with a cigarette hanging about, so with what was considered 'classy' then, is it still viewed as 'classy' or 'sexy' now?
It was often a key component of the "Femme Fatale" in the Noir Movies!

It can look sexy, cheap, trashy or self destructive it all depends on the context. (One of my memories of the late 70's early 80's was an anti smoking campaign aimed at girls. It consisted of black and white pictures of some of the most hideous women smoking. At the top it would have one of the "fables" of Smoking with an appropriate picture underneath. Smoking makes you Glamorous. Smoking keeps you thin. Smoking makes you look mature. ETC. It was a wickedly affective campaign. Also ladies, if you see an older woman that has a face that has a lot of wrinkles, so she looks like a walnut, chances are she is a heavy smoker or was for some time. And no anti-wrinkle cream seems to be able to stem the tide.)

Then again there are some people that can smoke and live to a hundred!

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Worst was the one with "Smoking makes you thin" showing a skeleton with a fag in his mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points