Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady Adventurers, Women of Mystery!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Looking in the General Adventurers thread was really inspiring, and I was wondering if maybe we needed a thread of our own in the powder room? How to get a vintage and convincing feel for ladies on the frontiers, on safari, or who ride or sail?

Mike K. kindly directed me to Orvis, which carries, among other things, this split skirt.Brown or black or neither, you can find better?

For myself I have it easier than some, in that my wide square feet fit men's boots well, but surely some here know where to get vintage-looking boots for women? (those with dainty narrow feet who will simply swim in mens')

I also thought we could post pics of luggage, maps, and the British Colonial accessories that make safari worth it. lol

So we should all Pack our bags!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Here's my Lady Adventurer outfit:
QM_summit2003_ITG_MJ1.jpg

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Whew! It took me forever to find this!

I am trying to find something to wear for a 1940's type campout. I was looking on the Adventure clothing thread and found that Viola had posted somewhere in the PR...not a lot of posts, huh?...

Pants, jodhpurs, riding boots? Pictures?

BTW, ITG I got my Mark VII 1942 dated! :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great idea for a thread!!
I have yet to go on safari, but I do take a lot of trips to northern New England, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. On these trips we take walks through the woods, walks on the beach, we do activities in which wearing a pretty vintage dress wouldn't be all that practical.

I'm still looking for a pair of vintage style walking boots. At the moment I have an incredibly comfortable pair of hikers from LL Bean. They are brown leather, and even though they aren't vintage they still look cute if I pair them with a safari skirt and jacket. I can walk for miles in them, and that's what's most important.

Well, here's some links and pictures of safari clothes that are modern, but still make a good looking outfit, while being practical and comfortable.

Safari Skirt from Walkabout, comes in many different colors
tag-lsk-022-st-khaki.jpg

Lightweight Safari Jacket, also from Walkabout
tag-mj-083jacket-st.jpg

Safari Shirt from Walkabout comes in both long and short sleeve:
coat-ff-shirt-short-st.jpg

Also, check out Safarigear. They have a very cute safari dress as well as some cute skirts and blouses.

I'd love to have pictures of me walking on the beach dressed like I had just walked off the set of "Out of Africa" :)

Feraud

Bartender
A few pics for inspiration -
gal5.jpg

gal3.jpg

gal2.jpg

gal.jpg

gal1.jpg

If anyone puts together an outdoor outfit please share it with the fellas! I know you can teach us a thing or two about style.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
These sites all have rugged outdoor wear for the ladies (also gentlemen). I remember one site I found awhile back had the most beautiful riding skirts, they were Western-style and the site was for reenactors, but I can't find it now. :eusa_doh:

http://www.cattlekate.com/wskirts.html

http://www.thecowboycloset.com/site/1518953/page/864650

http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product113.html <--great sale in progress-->
http://tontorim.com

I'm currently lusting after these saloon-girl boots:
http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product564.html

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
Check riding stores for the best jodphurs. For vintage, I have scored an amazing pair of puffy thigh/hip aviation style jodphurs. They are really a great style, and very useful and comfortable for adventures and excursions!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Cool thread!

I'm just about done getting my Ginger Rogers' inspired equestrian outfit completed (based on the 'Isn't it a Lovely Day to Caught in the Rain' number from 'Top Hat'), and it seems to be a particularly adventurous get-up.

The jodphurs are, based on the NRA label, from the early 30s and are mighty small, but do-able. The jacket is vintage, not sure of the date, but regardless I love it. I need to replace the buttons on the jacket still, and get a vest. But here I am, taking a trial run in it:

0007d89d

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much :)

Yeah - I always worry about getting my vintage dirty! But I was encouraged by the fact that the jacket and jodphurs had both obviously been used for riding in the past and still cleaned up well. They're sturdy numbers. I don't ride, but they should be fine for more sedate adventures.

Mojito

One Too Many
Love the outfit, Laughing Magpie! Nothing like jodphurs and a bowler to give someone an air of stylish authority. You need a crop, too!

One of the many fun things about riding (dressage in particular in my case) was the opportunity to 'dress up' - I only ever competed to medium level, so never came anywhere near approaching the international level top hat and tails, but I did like wearing the black velvet helmet, coat, white shirt and stock tie with white gloves, jodphurs and black dressage boots...not to mention getting my horse all dressed too, braiding his mane and brushing him to a high gloss, with that wonderful, supple well oiled and polished tack.

TraderRic, your wife is the epitome of country house style. She looks like she would be utterly at home at a weekend shooting party at an English country estate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk