Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady in the Lake (1947)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
I think this was one of the most innovated movies of its time period. Anyone else think this adapation of Raymond Chandler's book was an interesting concept? In addition, Robert Montgomery was outstanding in the role of Phillip Marlow.

32900882_o.jpg
32900825_o.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Wow, never heard of "Lady in the Lake".
Robert Montgomery on the other hand, I like a lot, particulary his first talkies,what a leading man he was!!!! "Their Own Desire" with Norma
Shearer, love that one!!!!! :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
An interesting idea but ultimately distracting and annoying. Montgomery was poor casting as Marlowe and the "point-of-view" camera work didn't help.

I read that the actors didn't like it either because they work their whole lives trying NOT to look into the camera (and break the fourth wall).

Worth seeing but not worth repeating for another movie.

BRS

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am watching it now

I like the scenes, and the costumes (period dress). The acting is rather bad, and the dialog is, well, stale.

Montgomery is very poorly cast. The FILM TECHNIQUE of "point of view" is horrible, and very distracting. It appears as if the director, OH MY is Robert Montgomery! MGM balled this one and it isn't the best. What is interesting is the commentary by film historians Alain SIlver and James Ursini.

The "you are the camera" style of filming I think spoils enjoyment. It reminds me of those work training films where they show a scene, and you are supposed to react to it..if anyone has ever done one of those before.

Compare this film to say, The Big Sleep, you can see how a master director and cinematographer can make a Chandler novel into a classic.

Lady in the Lake does not rise to this level. It IS however entertaining, and novel on how they did it. A film study class at the community college could use this film as an example of what, although novel, doesn't work. IMHO.

Max Slade

New in Town
Lady in the Lake

I enjoyed this movie very much although my family didn't make it past the first 15 minutes. Now my son, the would be motion picture director, is surprised that I know about this movie and its innovation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points