1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Laer motorcycle jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by MotoGuzzi, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotoGuzzi

MotoGuzzi New in Town

Hello everyone ,
    There is a brand brand new brand of motorcycle jackets made in the USA called Laer. They are made in Los Angeles supposedly the highest quality Has anyone bought one yet ???? I’m dying to know anyone’s opinion.

2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Looks like a "fashion" brand to me. The styles aren't as "classic" as many that we are addicted to.

Harris HTM, Lebowski, willyto and 2 others like this.
  3. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

^I agree. The hide looks pretty underwhelming as well. Certainly not my cup o' tea and the prices look to be about $650-700 too high for what's being offered...

4. MotoGuzzi

MotoGuzzi New in Town

No, the Owner of Laer is a Motorcyclist . It’s not a fashion brand like Schott .

5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Are we on the same page?
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.59.37 AM.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

They're not of the highest quality. They were picked up by Snake Oil Provisions who are a streetwear store at this point. They push RRL who outsource their labor to second and third world countries and then charge insane prices.

I would stay away from Laer. I doubt many, if any on this forum will be interested in them.

ProteinNerd likes this.
  7. MotoGuzzi

MotoGuzzi New in Town

Maybe I’m just old fashion but it’s not really nice to bad mouth any brand esp a Made in America one that is a mom and pop small business !

8. dudewuttheheck

You really don't understand this place at all, do you? you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

9. willyto

willyto Practically Family

Says the guy who just posted this on the Himel thread:

Also, what does anything have to do with being Made in USA? As if that gave them any edge over other leather jacket makers. Just because something is made in the USA doesn't mean they're of the highest quality. Use another argument.

Carlos840, Dav, Lebowski and 2 others like this.
  10. Mich486

Mich486 One of the Regulars

RRL makes great stuff and yes it’s mostly made in China/SE Asia. So what?

Should we stop buying iPhones in your opinion because they are put together in China?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monitor likes this.
  11. dudewuttheheck

Yes. I own a Google Pixel XL made by HTC in Taiwan, the country that HTC is based out of. So yes, I do make sure not to buy iphones because of the outsourcing.

Justhandguns likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I would actually put RRL several and I mean several tiers above these jackets. They are reminiscent of stuff on ssense.

13. Mich486

@ dudewhattheheck Well kudos to you if you don’t own anything that’s produced in a third world country by a first world country company but in today’s world i find it basically impossible and hard to believe.

I still don’t get why belittling a shop selling RRL. I find it one of the most interesting brands out there today. The prices are hefty on that I agree, but their garments are usually heavily distressed which like it or not takes time and skills to be done properly as I’m sure you are aware.

14. dudewuttheheck

Why don't we stop derailing the thread? It's about Laer, not RRL. I only brought them up as a point to counter the video he linked. If want to argue about RRL with me, I will be happy to do so in another thread or in messages. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  15. Mich486

I believe you are the one who started talking about RRL. Anyway, you are right. Back to Laer.

16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Guys, simmer down! The outsourcing argument has played out before...
    Moving on.
    I was going to ask @dudewuttheheck or @nick123 if either has been to Snake Oil Provisions before to get their opinions. They carry Flat Head jackets too. A major bump up from what this Laer stuff looks like to me. Made in the USA is great if the quality is too. Freenote is a great example of a SoCal company making great stuff. Not always to my tastes, but it sure feels great in hand.
    @MotoGuzzi, if you want a hard wearing American made jacket then why not try Lost Worlds, Vanson, or Johnson leathers? Diamond Clothing also makes one hell of a Buco cross-zip. Reach deep into the archives here and you will learn a lot about what we value and don't in a jacket.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    JMax, Lebowski, ton312 and 3 others like this.
  17. dudewuttheheck

I have and was not impressed. I will go again and take some pictures if people would like just for research purposes.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Maybe I'm nuts but doesn't the name "snake oil provisions" say it all. Reminds me of the hair regrowth serum I bought in 2006 to magically restore my hair. Turns out it was vegetable oil. LOL. Needless to say my hair was not improved but broccoli and chicken never tasted so good.

19. Lebowski

Lebowski One of the Regulars

No offences please, but poor leather and crappy hardwear are screaming both - "Cheapo!"
    Looks ridiculous.
    To my taste it doesn't deserve any mentioning up here. Just doesn't worth it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    ton312, Monitor and dudewuttheheck like this.
  20. Lebowski

Lebowski One of the Regulars

Absolutely.

Monitor and dudewuttheheck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.