1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Laer motorcycle jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by MotoGuzzi, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

Judging from what I saw on the laer website I think there are many doubts whether the Schott mc jackets, such as the 618, are less suitable for a bike. My 2 cents.

Monitor, tropicalbob and ton312 like this.
  2. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

There's something more than a little irritating about how these characters show up out of the blue touting some jacket line nobody's ever heard of with. "Hey, guys, ain't these jackets awesome?" Then, when they're met with an honest response they start casting aspersions on long-established companies and wind up resorting to Mom, Dad, and Old Glory. Anybody remember Roman? How about Samuel Johnson: "Patriotism is the last resort of the scoundrel?"

Mark, Fonzie, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  3. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

It’s all a matter of personal taste - and they’re not to my taste or I guess most people’s here? So asking people what they think about Laer jackets and then defending them when they’re criticised is pretty normal if one likes them but one shouldn’t be upset by others critical opinions if one asked for them.

4. JMax

JMax Practically Family

Last refuge of the scoundrel-- using false patriotism to win arguments or whatever it was. Both sides of every argument has such scoundrels.

Personally, all things being in the same ballpark, I prefer to buy American. If I were French, I am sure I would prefer French goods. Unfortunately, in Laers case it seems that we are not in the same ballpark. For scooting around, give me Vanson, Cal Leather, Langlitz, Lost Worlds, and/or Bates.

roadking04 likes this.
  5. tropicalbob

One of the things I've always liked about this forum is that credit is given where it's due, regardless of any nationalistic feelings. The problem with this thread is that the OP began it with an essentially deceitful pose of a wanderer in the wilderness who stumbled upon this fantastic product that's been unjustly ignored (we've heard this before). Then, of course, he gives himself away by admitting to knowing the owners, while getting himself all balled up with the attack on Schott and at the same time taking the chauvinistic stance on buying American (isn't Elizabeth, N.J., the home of Schott, still in the Republic?). There's nothing wrong with trying to help your friends or some outfit you have some sort of relationship with, but do it honestly. Then you don't have to resort to all this negative stuff. For my part, I'm always glad to see small outfits throwing their hat in the ring, whether it's here or in Scotland, Greece, Japan, or wherever.

6. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

... while Schott has probably sold a couple of hundreds of thousands of mc jackets (made in the U.S. too) since 1913...

7. JMax

JMax Practically Family

Are you saying his stance is chauvinistic when viewed through the totality of what he did, or anyone that prefers US-made products is chauvinistic? One can prefer US-made products for any number of reasons, many of which are not chauvinistic. I believe that you agree with me.

8. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Well, on the one hand, Laer is a Zara grade, very basic, primitive fashion copy of a Schott Perfecto but on the other hand, it costs a hundred dollars more. What's not to like?

9. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

But they also have far fewer models to choose from. But on the other hand, they also have far less leather options.

ton312 and Monitor like this.
  10. tropicalbob

I think my comments were sufficiently clear. To each his or her own. However, if Elizabeth's been cast out of the Union I need to know about it, as I was born there and don't want to find myself a "damned furriner."

11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

...or a native of Gilead. :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Edward likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Bottom line, these jackets suck no matter where they are made. It could be hand sewn by a Minotaur on Mt. Olympus and I'd still not want any part of it. Game over, end of story, goodbye, see ya later. :eek:

Monitor, Lebowski, Carlos840 and 2 others like this.
  13. Superfluous

Superfluous Call Me a Cab

For the record, I did not create, nor exacerbate, nor perpetuate, this skirmish.

[​IMG]

14. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

Lol. First time ever.

ProteinNerd and Mark like this.
  15. Jägernaut

Jägernaut A-List Customer

Me thinks this thread may have been an advertising/buzz-generating gig.

16. navetsea

navetsea One Too Many

there is a market for this thin aniline (lambskin?) biker jacket with bling zipper I'm sure of that, and perhaps a sufficient riding gear if by riding they mean fixie bicycle.

robrinay and handymike like this.
  17. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I'm surprised an advertising gig as obvious as this one hasn't resulted in this thread being closed yet.

Fonzie likes this.
  18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Fell a bit flat
    [​IMG]

Carlos840 likes this.
  19. Guppy

Guppy One Too Many

Having finally watched the video, I was expecting based on the commentary in this thread that the jacket to look at lot worse than it does.

The Snake Oil guy in the video is annoying and pretentious AF, but the jacket doesn't look bad on him. And he did mention that the guy behind Laer was doing work for RRL, so I don't see why it's offtopic to discuss RRL in that context.

That said, I don't think the jackets look special or distinctive in any way. And the jacket looks too long to my eye, like they stretched a Schott Perfecto to fit a basketball player. They describe their leather as "Italian Naked Grain" -- no mention of the tannery, tannage, or even the type of animal. And the Snake Oil guy seemed to think aniline dye was some big deal, which, pfft.

20. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

I like how he goes on about the gussets helping reach, but they are clearly non functional gussets!
    The "we are the only ones using the same leather for the inside facings, nobody else does that" was funny too.
    It's like they don't even try to act like they know what they are talking about...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.