Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lakeland Clicker Coats--????

VintageBaubles

New in Town
Can someone tell me a little about these coats and why they're apparently so popular? I have one I got years ago and am just now getting it ready to go. My first question is, what were these worn for? I see them called "car club" coats, but I assume when they were made, they were a car-length coat, not necessarily a coat to drive a car in. Do men wear them today to car shows and rallies, or something? And dating.... mine is identical to coats on eBay listed as 50s, but I think, due to it's fantastic condition, must be 60s. It has a Skinner-label rayon satin lining, if that's any clue. Did Lakeland make these into the 60s? Forgive my ignorance on this, but when I first bought it, I couldn't find any info, now all I can find are items for sale, without any real history or background information. Thanks!

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Yes, 50s Clicker coats are pretty popular now and fetching good coin on ebay. They were made into the 60s but the label changed as did a few other things and the 60s coats don't get the big $$$. They came in a number of colors. If you can post a pic of yours I can tell you if it's 50s or 60s. If it's
50s and in top condition and in a good size (42+) you can expect $200-$400 for it.

VintageBaubles

New in Town
DoubleXX, thanks ever so much! Here are photos. This is the charcoal grey body with black knit cuffs/collar/pocket edgings (which are perfect--still stretch and no fraying, holes, etc.). It is in much better condition than anything I've seen on eBay (you know, the ones that are "mint, except the cuffs are frayed, or it's soiled," etc. But sometimes it seems the rattier something is, the more desirable it is amongst eBay buyers.....

Size 42--which I figure is a pretty desirable size. I've sold a lot of menswear, including other Lakeland coats, but this Clicker is a first for me! My model loves it, but he can't have it!

So, do you think this is 50s or 60s? Again, many thanks!

clickercoatfrontsmall.jpg

clickercoatlabelsmall.jpg

clickercoatlininglabelsmall.jpg

VintageBaubles

New in Town
You are wonderful--thanks! And, I'm sorry.... Were these, in their day, called "car club" coats, or is that just a term folks are calling them today? Would a fellow wear one of these to, say, a 50's car show or a road rally? I am both an old-car nut (but more like mid to late 60's Mustangs and muscle cars) and a vintage clothing nut, but am clueless when it comes to things like what period clothing people actually are wearing to car shows!

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Well, yes, they are called "car club coats" nowadays due to their iconic roll knit collars, knit sleeves, and 3/4 length...all elements of 50s car club coats. I'm not so sure they were originally described that way in the 50s, though....they would have been a bit too hot for the So Cal climate, which was the center of the car club culture back then. They were other manufacturers of similar coats that didn't have the thick quilted lining and were thus not so warm. In any event, Clickers are especially prized now for their larger-than-average sizing, especially by collectors living in colder climates (like me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui