Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lampshade Help!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Hello everyone,

I was hoping you might be able to help me! I bought some lamps last year at an antique fair - I'm not sure what decade they are from - they have been rewired and are good to go except they came with horrible clear glass globe shades c1980's. I bought some lovely amber lampshades online and was hoping they would fit - they do - kind of - but are a little on the large side. Is there something you could recommend that I use to make the shades fit a bit tighter - something I could make myself or buy in the hardware shop? Here is one of the lamps without the shade - they both have the silver discs that go around the lampshade to keep them in place. I'm sure there is something really obvious I could do but I can't think of anything right now so any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Image0472-1.jpg

Giftmacher

One Too Many
What about a thin piece of acrylic glass? I would also replace the plastic cord with braided one. Something like this would fit well.

DSCN2296.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! Yes, I was thinking of replacing the cord as the current one is not in keeping with the style of the lamp - any idea of what decade it could be from? I really can't say!

Just one more thing - where would I get acrylic glass from? Thank you!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Here is a photo of the shade - sorry it's not the best photo. The shades are only ok - they aren't exactly what I want to put on them (although the colour is lovely and should throw a warm light) but it's hard to find a pair in good condition from the right era that fit! The quest will continue!

Image0473.jpg

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I see here it's end is flat, so it should be no problem to cut out a "reduction" from mentioned plexiglas and stick it there with epoxy glue. How thick is the glass? Plexiglas you can obtain from local craft shop, I'm sure, you'll find some around. Glued joints must be done well since it is a butt joint.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ah I see what you are getting at - yes the end is flat and the glass is around half a centimetre thick. I'll check our local crafts shop and see what they have - thanks again for all your help - it's much appreciated!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Jish1969 - thank you and thank you so much for the links - when I have a spare moment today I will have a good look through them (the prices seem very reasonable) - maybe I might be lucky enough to find the "perfect" shade!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points