Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz customer service is awesome!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ordered my first new Langlitz back in January. I knew that I was looking for a basic two pocket Columbia. I do not ride a motorcycle but I am a huge fan of the Columbia and other CHP style jackets. After looking through some photos on the Langlitz Japan website I discovered the 1947 Columbia, a new jacket made with the same features as the original Columbia (such as wider lapels and a narrow stiffening band at the bottom that does not dip at the back).
I worked with Scott to iron out all of the details before finalizing the order. We exchanged half a dozen emails and spoke over the phone several times. I found him to be very helpful and patient in taking time to answer all of my questions and making sure that I understood the pros and cons of various options. One example of this was the decision whether or not to make the jacket with a bi-swing back. The original Columbia did not have any kind of gussets or action back. I liked the clean lines of the original jacket, but Scott explained that this would provide much less freedom of movement and I am glad I listened to him and chose to go with the bi-swing back.
My jacket arrived in mid March and it was love at first sight:
IMG_1710.JPG

I wore the jacket non stop for almost a month. While I absolutely loved my new Columbia, there was one problem that bothered me more and more as time went on: the jacket was too tight at the bottom. The jacket has lace up gussets at the waist on both sides. Even with these gussets fully expanded the jacket was almost skin tight. It felt like a leather corset when I inhaled deeply, and that was certainly not the look (or feel) I was going for! Ideally I wanted a jacket that fits well, but would allow for a little expansion at the waist as time went on, not one that was too tight right from the beginning.
I called Langlitz and spoke to Scott again. He was helpful as always, and he made it clear that my satisfaction with the jacket was the #1 priority for him and the entire crew at Langlitz. Scott put me in touch with John, who is in charge of returns and remakes. John had me take some measurements, and also some photos with the jacket on zipped and unzipped. After reviewing the photos he and I spoke about different options to resolve the problem. I told him that because the jacket was too tight over my lower rib cage as well my hips, I did not think that a simple alteration would suffice. I also assured him that my weight remains fairly steady and I had not gained five or ten pounds since the jacket was ordered. John asked me to send the Columbia back so that he could see it in person and review the measurements.
I sent the jacket back and waited a few days after they had received it to call John and check in. I was hoping that he would at least have had a chance to look at it by then, but his response blew me away. John informed me that they had already made me a new jacket with more room where I needed it, and that the jacket would be shipped out that afternoon. I received my new Columbia a couple days later, and once again it was love at first sight:
IMG_2025.jpg

I can't say enough how impressed I was by my experience with the folks at Langlitz. They did everything possible to make sure that I was happy with the jacket in the end and I would recommend them to anybody who is looking for a new leather jacket. It is true that their jackets cost more than some of the other options out there, but I think the level of service they provide completely justifies the price. Thanks for reading my story.

Awesome jacket man. And that is customer service to the 10th degree. I look at your jacket and the only thing going thru my head is...
IMG_3100.GIF

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Jacket looks great. And what a service; a complete re-done within a few days? Haven't heard that one yet. Which leather did you pick? I consider getting a Sidewinder in their heaviest cowhide, even though I recently read here that they no longer stock it?

El Marro

Thanks jacketjunkie!
I chose the medium weight cowhide because they no longer offer the heavyweight leather. I asked them to use the thickest hides they had available and I would guess that the jacket is somewhere between 3-3.5 oz thick. It weighs about 6 pounds.
Despite the fact that the leather might be a bit thinner and lighter than many of us here prefer, this is definitely a solid, well built piece of gear.
If you are thinking about a Sidewinder I think you should go for it!

The jacket is an utter perfection, like literally the best ever. Impossible to improve on. And yeah, Langlitz customer service is just something else.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Ahhhhh! The wait is killing me. I'm trying not to think about it, then posts like these pop up. :shakes fists: If the wait time is as originally quoted, in my case 3 months, my count down tracker is telling me I have another 1 month and 20 days. :D :D :D

B3075174-8EE6-4459-A0E2-7FA48C8028F5_zpshqohjabn.jpg

Seriously though, that is a killer looking jacket and the fit looks spot on. Absolutely Fantastic! Major props to Langlitz for their customer support and taking care of you. I really enjoy stopping by their shop whenever I'm passing thru Portland, but the wife - not so much anymore. :D

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I consider getting a Sidewinder in their heaviest cowhide, even though I recently read here that they no longer stock it?

When I was in Langlitz in April, they had 1 Sidewinder on the stock wrack and it was the medium weight cowhide; it was still plenty heavy. Unfortunately it wasn't my size and a little more than I wanted to spend as it had all the bells and whistles, i.e. padded shoulders/elbows, bicep pocket on left and forearm pocket on the right, western yoke two chest pockets, two hand-warmer pockets and various interior pockets. Just more than I wanted out of the jacket.

Bennie suggested a custom Timberline as the Sidewinder is based off of the Timberline originally. That way I can customize it how I want it and remove items that I don't want, therefore, bringing the cost down. So that's what I did. I ordered a custom Timberline in medium weight cowhide, with two chest pockets, straight yoke, straight zipper, padded shoulders/elbows, cossack collar and an interior wallet pocket. After all was said and done, my jacket came in $400 less than what the Sidewinder was priced at.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
One more thing to note regarding Langlitz customer service... With each garment comes a serial number - if it's stolen, you can contact Langlitz with a police report number and they'll log it into their system and for if any reason it comes back thru their shop, they'll confiscate it and make sure it gets back to you. The chance of that happening and you recovering the jacket? I don't know, but it's nice to know they take those steps to try and get it returned to you.

El Marro

Blues,
I was told three months as well when I placed the order and the jacket arrived about two weeks ahead of schedule. In my experience ordering custom leather I have rarely seen anything arrive on time, let alone early!
I can't wait to see pictures of your Timberline when it arrives. All of your other jackets are stellar, and I'm sure this will be no exception. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko