Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz mid weight cowhide; glued or not?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pulled-the-trigger-langlitz-columbia.90693/page-3

So I am thinking of another langlitz and this thread came up on a radar.

Can someone please confirm that mid weight cowhide is not a sandwiched leather (2 pieces of leather glued together)?

I too think the whitish layer is there because the leather is not dyed all the way to the core but just wanted the verification from the esteemed loungers before I place an order.

was gonna pull a trigger with a cowhide option but if they are indeed glued, I will opt for goathide instead.

Thanks a bunch guys

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will repeat what I said in the earlier thread you linked, although I now have three Langlitz jackets to look at when I make my determination, and that is that the Langlitz medium weight cowhide is one piece of leather, not two sandwiched together.
When I was at their shop in Portland I got to try on a jacket made from goat and I was surprised how much I liked that hide from them. It was not at all insubstantial and if the jacket I try to fit a little better I would’ve bought it on the spot.
I would ask for samples of goat and cowhide to see which one you like best.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What he said ^^^.

My Cascade is the waxy blue cowhide and it weighs 6.8 lbs. So while not 5oz thick leather, these cowhide are stuffed with something that gives them some waterproofing and heavier weight, while still have very good grain on top, compared to CW which is just flat. So good stuff. The Langlitz high prices is for their well done pattern.

Langlitz Cascade Navy Cow Measurements 023.JPG

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I will repeat what I said in the earlier thread you linked, although I now have three Langlitz jackets to look at when I make my determination, and that is that the Langlitz medium weight cowhide is one piece of leather, not two sandwiched together.
When I was at their shop in Portland I got to try on a jacket made from goat and I was surprised how much I liked that hide from them. It was not at all insubstantial and if the jacket I try to fit a little better I would’ve bought it on the spot.
I would ask for samples of goat and cowhide to see which one you like best.
Thanks for the verfication. Now I am leaning toward goat.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I never thought I would like goat on an MC jacket because I thought it would feel flimsy and delicate. Langlitz proved me wrong on both counts and I think you would be very happy with their goatskin
I thought the same way about goatskin. too pliable for MC jackets. But I may go with goatskin this time. Thank you!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I thought the same way about goatskin. too pliable for MC jackets. But I may go with goatskin this time. Thank you!
I don't have a goat Langlitz yet but I do have a Johnson goatskin one for now. And it's in their police contract M500 pattern. And it (goat MC jacket) works. It holds shape while being pliable. I am quite sure Langlitz goat is similar, or the same. I believe the skins comes from the Hudson Valley tanneries on the east coast. Langlitz is very open with the leather info from my experience, it doesn't hurt to ask. They're quite confident in their jacket patterns.
Johnson M500 Goat Fit 001.JPG

Johnson M500 Goat Fit 002.JPG

What Langlitz pattern are you gonna go for this time? Columbia 2.0? I am after their Comstock pattern in their goatskin.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I don't have a goat Langlitz yet but I do have a Johnson goatskin one for now. And it's in their police contract M500 pattern. And it (goat MC jacket) works. It holds shape while being pliable. I am quite sure Langlitz goat is similar, or the same. I believe the skins comes from the Hudson Valley tanneries on the east coast. Langlitz is very open with the leather info from my experience, it doesn't hurt to ask. They're quite confident in their jacket patterns.
View attachment 449268
View attachment 449269

What Langlitz pattern are you gonna go for this time? Columbia 2.0? I am after their Comstock pattern in their goatskin.
Thinking of a cascade with a modified collar or a crescent with padded shoulder.
I know I will order all of them at some point but can afford only one atm. priorities..

01flhr

One of the Regulars
ive got my columbia that the other thread was about and ive got a goatskin cascade. the goat is hard to compare to the cow, its more flexable and stretchier. it may be, but i dont feel like its much thinner than the cow. if i were limited to just one, i might actually lean towards the goat, even though its not custom made. the goats a little more forgiving in comfort where its a little more stretchy. i kind of want to send the cascade in and see if they can do anything with letting the stomache out. ive got some gloves in their goat too that show what the goat might look like with some age, but i feel like their character may have developed due in part to the stretching, which a jacket wont do like these gloves had to. i like both my jackets, but it would be hard to pick one over the other. for casual wear, id probably pick the goat.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
ive got my columbia that the other thread was about and ive got a goatskin cascade. the goat is hard to compare to the cow, its more flexable and stretchier. it may be, but i dont feel like its much thinner than the cow. if i were limited to just one, i might actually lean towards the goat, even though its not custom made. the goats a little more forgiving in comfort where its a little more stretchy. i kind of want to send the cascade in and see if they can do anything with letting the stomache out. ive got some gloves in their goat too that show what the goat might look like with some age, but i feel like their character may have developed due in part to the stretching, which a jacket wont do like these gloves had to. i like both my jackets, but it would be hard to pick one over the other. for casual wear, id probably pick the goat.
Now I am completely sold on the goatskin! Thanks!

Can I ask what model you would choose if you can order another one? I want a model that is forgiving around the stomach and pelvis because I easily gain weight!
I already own a flight jacket and the elastic waistband really makes it an easy-to-wear jacket.

Crescent looks nice but I don't see a lot of reviews of them around here so it's hard for me to finalize my order.

Last edited:

01flhr

One of the Regulars
not a cascade since the waist isnt adjustable on that style. my columbia is more of a "look at me" piece. its got some serious presence when i wear it. if thats what youre going for, a padded columbia will have it. its a great jacket with an adjustable waist that i think youd appreciate if your weight fluctuates some. im pretty sure they make other jackets with some adjustment but the columbia is the only one i have experience with. ill try and track down my goat gloves tomorow and post some pictures so you can see what the goat might age like, even if it is exagerated or accelerated.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
not a cascade since the waist isnt adjustable on that style. my columbia is more of a "look at me" piece. its got some serious presence when i wear it. if thats what youre going for, a padded columbia will have it. its a great jacket with an adjustable waist that i think youd appreciate if your weight fluctuates some. im pretty sure they make other jackets with some adjustment but the columbia is the only one i have experience with. ill try and track down my goat gloves tomorow and post some pictures so you can see what the goat might age like, even if it is exagerated or accelerated.
Thanks for sharing your insight. A goatskin columbia sounds very tempting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner