Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Larger Scans from Esquire '38-'41

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I have dipped into the archives to scan some of the full color plates from my vintage Esquire magazine collection. There are from 1938 to 1941 issues. I hope you enjoy. More to come. Eventually, I'd like to also scan the ads for hats, shoes, and other accouterments.

1aug41.jpg
1esq39.jpg

1jul40.jpg
2jul40.jpg

1aug38.jpg
3jul40.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
These are great for inspiration! Man I need to get one of those leather binocular cases with the shoulder strap for the races (that is if I ever to go the races...).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I swear that the golfers (especially the one on the right) look years ahead of their time, fashion-wise! You rarely see such casual wear in pre-WWII magazines. And what kind of hat is that on the one of them? Looks like the fisherman hats that become popular towards the end of the 20th century. Impressive clothing, and so unlike the post-war, baggy Bold Look (which I do love!)!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

If there's one thing that we've learned from all these Apparel Arts and Esquire images posted throughout The Fedora Lounge, it's this: fashion history, like history in general, is tangential up close. As we delve into the nitty gritty, more and more "déjà vu" moments smack us in the face.

Clearly, menswear changed far more from 1870 to 1939 than it has from 1940 to 2009.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Applauding the pink shirt and specs with the suit on the right (which also has closer-together buttons than we would normally swear to for that period), and at first glance, the fellow on the left has an iPod sticking out of his pocket.

Wonderful images.

2aug38-1.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Applauding the pink shirt and specs with the suit on the right (which also has closer-together buttons than we would normally swear to for that period), and at first glance, the fellow on the left has an iPod sticking out of his pocket.

Wonderful images.

2aug38-1.jpg

By George, it is an iPod! Marc was right: things have changed very little since 1940!;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

It's interesting to note that the design of the blue suit worn by the man at right was revived by Georgio Armani and others in the 1980s ... so much so, in fact, that it is now more associated with the '80s than with the '30s/'40s.

On eBay, vintage '30s/'40s double breasted suits with 4 buttons (rather than 6) tend to sell for far less than their 6-button cousins. Sometimes, they don't receive a single bid. The reason, I think, is that they look '1980s Miami Vice' to potential buyers. Meanwhile, the old 6-button suits have retained their image of '1930s gangster' in the public's consciousness.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:

Would the blue suit combined with pink shirt and two-tone spectator shoes shown on the right be for summer wear only, or could one wear it successfully in the winter as well?

Thanks,

cgab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112