Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Flight of the F-11A

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here's the story as it was told to me....

One night, back in the early sixties, a young Navy pilot was returning to Oceana in his F-11A when his plane began experiencing serious engine trouble. He briefly thought about ejecting, but just before he pulled his halo, he saw the dim lights of an air field directly below him. It looked to be a very small field...but hell...any size field offered a better option than ejecting into the inky blackness above Lord knows where. So in spite of his loss of power, and in spite of the warning lights blazing on his panel, the young pilot managed to dead stick his jet onto the runway of Oak Grove Air Field. The young pilot didn't know it then, but Oak Grove had been built during the height of WWII. Twenty years earlier, it had been the home of two USMC Corsair squadrons...and both had later seen much action in the Pacific.

By the way, Oak Grove Air Field is my next door neighbor.

A few days later, the Navy sent a ground crew to inspect the F-11A. They determined that the aircraft could be easily repaired, but there was a problem. While Oak Grove's runways were plenty long for WWII Corsairs, they were nowhere near long enough to launch an F-11A. The pilot had saved his plane by skillfully landing it on the old air field’s very short runway. But his F-11A wasn't ever going to fly away from Oak Grove.

So the Navy called the Marines for help. After looking the situation over, the Marines decided that it would be a good idea to strap the crippled F-11A beneath one of their big choppers and fly the jet to Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station. Cherry Point, only thirty or so miles east, boasted a state-of-the-art aircraft rework facility...and a runway that went on forever. In all fairness to the Marines, it probably was a good idea.

But it wasn't good idea on the day they tried it.

Only a short distance from the end of Oak Grove's runway, the F-11A began to yaw wildly under the chopper. Something had gone wrong. Maybe it was the strong southwest wind. Maybe the straps had been wrongly positioned...nobody knows. But one thing was for sure, the F-11A was threatening to take both aircraft headlong into a dark North Carolina swamp. The Marines had no choice. They wisely cut the jet free.

Now, here she rests. She's in the deep woods, a couple of miles from my house. She's still in the place where she came crashing through the pine canopy almost fifty years ago. Her engine, her guns and many of her other parts have been salvaged...but her pitiful carcass remains.

This weekend, I went with a friend to photograph the old girl. It wasn't an easy trip. Part of the journey was made by Jeep (in low gear, four wheel drive), but the final assault had to be made on foot, through some of the thickest, cat-briar forest in Eastern North Carolina. I've been meaning to go photograph the wreck for years, but in addition to the flesh-ripping briars and blood-sucking insects back there, Mr. No-Shoulders also lives in those dark woods. He is an irritable gentleman and he doesn't much like company. So I have waited until it was cold. I’ve waited for a winter like this winter…so cold that old Mr. No-Shoulders would be in his deepest sleep beneath his forest floor. And let me assure you...

Saturday, I still stepped lightly.

Picture044.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

AF

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Fascinating story and great photos Finch! You have me wanting to go there next time I get out to North Carolina (I'm used to similar terrain but I don't know about Mr. No-shoulders, I think he is somebody I would rather not meet face to face without proper armament :)).

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would assume the Air Force got a team out there immediately to get every piece of strippable gear out of the aircraft. Any signs of engine, electronics, etc?

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Fascinating Mr. Finch. I live in the same area (New Bern) and am familiar with Oak Grove, but had never heard this story. Amazing the things that you don't know about your own back yard!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I would assume the Air Force got a team out there immediately to get every piece of strippable gear out of the aircraft. Any signs of engine, electronics, etc?

The Navy did just that. They took the engine, guns and everything of value soon after the plane crashed. And even though the wreck is very difficult to locate and very difficult to get to...over the years our locals have nevertheless managed to leave their mark. There are bullet holes here and there on the plane...evidence of hunters who have stumbled onto the old girl, and almost every part of her that would be a good souvenir is missing.

Edward

Bartender
What is a Mr No-Shoulders? Local bogeyman? Interesting story. Was there a reason why they couldn't load it onto a truck? Too big?

Magnus Pym

New in Town
Fascinating story, thank you!

I've always had a soft spot for the F-11A, one of the best looking fighters ever alongside the Saab Draken - jets of that era had something special about them

AeroEng

New in Town
I live in Eastern NC and it sure would be great to visit this old airplane. Every time I see the one that Cherry Point reworked and the city of New Bern put in the park, it makes me think of it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Great story - I've sent the link to everyone I know. It's a bit scary regarding those snakes; I'm from southern Ontario and I can hump around the wilderness as much as I like and not worry about critters!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Another jet in the woods tale
http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBP3cmHiie8

http://lostinjersey.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/jet-in-the-woods-identified/

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/lockheed-t2v-1-seastar-wreckage/view/?service=1

According to the West Milford Messenger, in 1962, two pilots flying a training mission out of Brooklyn’s Floyd Bennett Field had a flame out and crashed into “a “’heavily wooded swamp’ reportedly infested with poisonous snakes”
http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=4021

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ