Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laundry

clevispin

One of the Regulars
I've always wondered how a suit might have been cleaned back in the day before the proliferation of dry cleaning (maybe after the early 50s?). I can't imagine a suit being just spot-cleaned for years on end. If indeed there is an alternative to Sanfordizing, does anybody here practice it?

m

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
John in Covina said:
I believe they would spot clean, brush, sponge the suit, then press it.

There is a lead on this in the Movie "The Shootist" with John Wayne.

In which they talk about the "new dry-process cleaning" with naptha. It was set in... 1901? The year of Victoria's death.

geo

Brushing, Airing, Steaming.

After wearing the suit for a day, brushing and airing (near an open window). Never wear two days in a row. Steaming to remove bad creases. Regular creases dissapear after a while if the suit is hanged, due to the properties of the wool. For steaming, let the shower run for a while with very hot water, until the bathroom looks like a sauna (with door closed). Then stop the shower and hang the suit in the steam-filled bathroom for an hour. The worst creases will dissapear as if by magic, provided that the suit fabric is wool.

Dry cleaning can destroy your suit, especially if it's fused. The hot temperature can melt the glue used to fuse the suit, and the suit will forever be bent out of shape.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Last year I went to a theatrical supply wholesaler and purchased a small model professional garment steamer made by Jiffy, it was about $200. Haven't been to a dry cleaner since.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Last August, I bought a Fabric Freshener from Whirlpool. You put one or two garments in it, fill the cup with water, zip it shut, push a button, and it steam cleans your clothes. I've used it almost daily since I got it.

I just went to the Whirlpool site and I'm intrigued by this product. I use a steamer often, but this seems much less labor intensive. Have you been pleased with it for the money and how well does it work on cotton shirts? Thanks.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Last August, I bought a Fabric Freshener from Whirlpool. You put one or two garments in it, fill the cup with water, zip it shut, push a button, and it steam cleans your clothes. I've used it almost daily since I got it.

That seems like an incredible device! Dry cleaning is the only part about suits I don't like. It doesn't say on the site, however, if it eliminates the need to spot-clean. If it does, I'm going to start saving now.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Whirlpool Fabric Freshener

Yes, I've been very pleased with the machine. My clothes come out smooth and clean smelling. (The steam is supposed to break down the molecules that cause odors.) It comes with two clip-on weights that you attach to the garment to help get the wrinkles out. For linen, it helps to sprinkle the fabric with water. I've hardly had the iron out since I got the machine.

One reason I got this machine was to make my cotton shirts last longer. (They wear out from washing and drying, not wearing.) Usually, I just wear them to the office and they don't really need to go in the washer every time I wear them, they just need freshening up.

Sorry, but you still have to spot clean any stains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points