Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather and other fabrics combinations

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There has been quite a trend in combining leather with other fabrics such as denim, canvas and wool. While it is certainly nothing new, there seems to be a renewed interest in combining leather in sometimes new ways as well.

It would be interesting to see what are your current thoughts on this trend, and what you would get if you wanted something in combination. Would leather be the main part? Would it be mainly used for trims?

Let's hear your thoughts :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
There has been quite a trend in combining leather with other fabrics such as denim, canvas and wool. While it is certainly nothing new, there seems to be a renewed interest in combining leather in sometimes new ways as well.

It would be interesting to see what are your current thoughts on this trend, and what you would get if you wanted something in combination. Would leather be the main part? Would it be mainly used for trims?

Let's hear your thoughts :)

Mostly, I like a leather jacket to be all leather in the shell, with a fabric lining (of whatever type). If a jacket is primarily textile, but has some leather trim, that's fine, but the half-half jackets that you see sometimes from Aero aren't really my speed. The wool/leather 2-tone Bootleggers, for example. While they look great, I just don't think they're for me. But if I was going to go for something like that, it'd have to be a super-heavy 24+oz. melton wool so that the durability was comparable to that of the leather parts.

All that said, I just put money down on a nice pair if wool/leather boots, so I'm just a walking contradiction now...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I am very interested in Wool/Leather combo jackets. Japan has produced the most interesting contemporary combo jackets. The Vintage combos are difficult to find.

Vintage Hercules

s-l1600.jpg
D.jpg

Unknown maker

DSC01788.jpg
DSC01789.jpg

Neighborhood from Japan

DSC04395.jpg
DSC04397.jpg

Another Unknown maker, probably Japan

MAH06599.MP4_20191004_164607.166.jpg
MAH06599.MP4_20191004_164756.212.jpg
MAH06599.MP4_20191004_164537.104.jpg

regius

I absolutely love combo jackets, just don’t see many non-Japanese makers around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

If I remember correctly, Diamond Dave started with wool and leather at the time he expanded into jacket. Those were some nice combo jackets.

red devil

Mostly, I like a leather jacket to be all leather in the shell, with a fabric lining (of whatever type). If a jacket is primarily textile, but has some leather trim, that's fine, but the half-half jackets that you see sometimes from Aero aren't really my speed. The wool/leather 2-tone Bootleggers, for example. While they look great, I just don't think they're for me. But if I was going to go for something like that, it'd have to be a super-heavy 24+oz. melton wool so that the durability was comparable to that of the leather parts.

All that said, I just put money down on a nice pair if wool/leather boots, so I'm just a walking contradiction now...

Yes, I find that leather trims can really enhance garments. I generally find that a full leather jacket is optimal most of the time.

I posted an Instagram link recently to a wonderful jacket that was a combo of leather and canvas. Hang on...

Which one is it? :)

I am very interested in Wool/Leather combo jackets. Japan has produced the most interesting contemporary combo jackets. The Vintage combos are difficult to find.

Vintage Hercules

View attachment 207718 View attachment 207719

Unknown maker

View attachment 207720 View attachment 207721

Neighborhood from Japan

View attachment 207722 View attachment 207723

Another Unknown maker, probably Japan

View attachment 207724 View attachment 207726 View attachment 207727

My favourite is the second one, looks very unique!

I personally don't own any combination jackets at the moment unless you count my grizzly. Currently, if I were to mix leather with something else... it would be with another leather or some type of hair panel / fur. Not sure that counts for this conversation though :)

red devil

So you were talking about this one

81036590_2637942889621436_3412884438315443005_n.jpg

BTW they have a copy of the San Matteo made in Japan from Shinki?

81365300_158074555477282_5260598178215083311_n.jpg

Edit: And it retails at $950 apparently

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
So you were talking about this one

View attachment 207805

BTW they have a copy of the San Matteo made in Japan from Shinki?

View attachment 207806

Edit: And it retails at $950 apparently
I have been following Rebel's Instagram profile for a while and really love many of their styles. Workmanship seems to be very good according to the pictures. Don't know if the leather is as good as offered by other well known makers. Their manufacturing site probably isn't in Japan - perhaps Indonesia, etc. which could explain the low jacket prices. I wonder if there is someone here who already owns a jacket from them.

barnabus

One Too Many
I love the look of some of their items, judging solely from the IG posts, obv. But I have been nervous about pursuing anything, due to the dearth of any more information on them.

I'd also love to know if anyone has bought from them anyway.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I really dig John Gluckow's reversible jackets but the price refrains me from buying one - perhaps a used one some day:
upload_2020-1-23_12-37-36.png

upload_2020-1-23_12-37-56.png

red devil

I have been following Rebel's Instagram profile for a while and really love many of their styles. Workmanship seems to be very good according to the pictures. Don't know if the leather is as good as offered by other well known makers. Their manufacturing site probably isn't in Japan - perhaps Indonesia, etc. which could explain the low jacket prices. I wonder if there is someone here who already owns a jacket from them.

They claim that the black one is made in Japan which I find interesting...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I rather have leather body panel and canvas sleeve with leather elbow and cuff, rather than the other way around ( fabrics body and leather sleeve) that seems more popular

if it has leather sleeve I'm thinking raglan or normal sleeve + leather yoke, might look cool, make sense if you ride in the hot summer too.

but leather and fabrics need totally different caring, one need detergent and the other need oiling...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB