Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket categories

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With consideration of the recent thread "What are the most popular jackets"
I do believe the OP intended to find out what contemporary leather jackets we are buying from jacket makers currently still actively making jackets.
I think some of us vintage guys kind of highjacked this tread counting our vintage jackets, not the intent of the OP. I know I'm guilty as charged

I would like to start a new jacket count where we list the number of jackets we own in each of the following categories. An exact number is not necessary for you guys with many jackets, an estimate will work for the purpose of getting the tallies

How many jackets do you own in the following jacket categories?

1.Vintage 30s -early 60s
2.Moderner vintage mid 60s – 80s
3.Pre worn real deals here 90s – mid-2000s
4.Recent pre-worn mid-2000s – 2020
5.Recently and back on the market less than two years old
6.Purchased new from stock or made to order based stock model
7.Made to order custom pattern in fit or design

I will give the survey a few days than do a tally

Last edited:
1. 16
2. 2
3. 3
4. 7
5. 2
6. 3
7. 0

Ive sold a few jackets in the past week and added the aviator D pocket by Kurland.

BTW- how is that brown Sportclad D pocket treating you? I don’t recall seeing pics.

Ideally category 1 will grow and category 6 will zero out. I won’t reengage category 7. I’m after a small but significant and wearable category 1. Maybe 10-12 pieces at the most, all restored and fully functional. Quantity has never been a driving force no matter what I collect but I do want pieces that are rare and important from a historical/design stand point. I will not collect jackets I can’t wear.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
1. 0 (although a couple of my Cals are right on that cusp of early/mid 60s. Sold my one that was for sure from the 50s)
2. 8
3. 1
4. 3
5. 6
6. 3
7. 2

I put my Aero B3 under #5 since I bought it lightly used from TFLer who had only used a few times. But since it's an authentic pattern, should it be #1?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
1.Vintage 30s -early 60s
estimated 80-90

Perhaps we should have a category for jackets that don't fit. Buying jackets that don't fit is True Collecting at it's insane best!

1.Vintage 30s -early 60s
estimated 80-90

Perhaps we should have a category for jackets that don't fit. Buying jackets that don't fit is True Collecting at it's insane best!

I have a couple that don’t fit. But they have to zip up at least. That way I can delude myself into a future fit. Lol.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would need to do a full recap, but mostly 7 or 8. With two-three 6, and a couple of 5 or 4 - not sure.

Agent Black

New in Town
OK then,
1=0
2=6
3=18 EIGHTEEN!?!
4=0
5=0
6=0
7=3, albeit Ebay wins that had been tailored for other people.

Cat 3 also includes an Ebay win blue TT Leathers cross zip in what feels like sheepskin, with old school "A" (Aero zip??) branded metal zips, that feels like it must have been mid 70's but the seller remembered buying it new from TT in 1996. NOS I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB