Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket for body type

Moodles

New in Town
I found this place on google recently and it seems full of great advice.

I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread, but I'm interested in a slim fit jacket from Aero. Either a cafe racer/Sheene or a Premier Highwayman for the slim fit. Am I right in that the fit is basically the same except the Sheene is a little tighter around the front waist? If anyone has any profile pics of both, that would be good. Are there many differences apart from that? I

I live in the UK, and I'm quite lean and about 5 foot 9 inches tall. I don't want a Cafe Racer with the band collar and prefer the Sheene/HWM collar, but I notice that's on Thurston, not Aero's website.

Thanks for the advice!

I just picked up a Board Racer Sheene, and it's my favorite style of theirs. Straighter in the body, slim sleeves, and drop front (2"). I also like that it lacks side panels- something that adds to boxiness unless it's a half-belt style.
Good luck with your search! It might be worth a trip to Scotland or a stockist to try on some models.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome. I hate to make this more complicated but no, they aren't similar fits at all. The Sheene has much wider shoulders for the same "size" jacket which then really narrows down in the waist. The premier highwayman is just slimmer throughout.

From my experience the Board Racer, Pemier Half Belt and I'm guessing the Premier highwayman are all much more similar in that they have quite narrow shoulders.

You can always get a Board Racer based Sheene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moodles

New in Town
I just picked up a Board Racer Sheene, and it's my favorite style of theirs. Straighter in the body, slim sleeves, and drop front (2"). I also like that it lacks side panels- something that adds to boxiness unless it's a half-belt style.
Good luck with your search! It might be worth a trip to Scotland or a stockist to try on some models.

It's boxy? I thought it's an extremely slim fit style?

Moodles

New in Town
Welcome. I hate to make this more complicated but no, they aren't similar fits at all. The Sheene has much wider shoulders for the same "size" jacket which then really narrows down in the waist. The premier highwayman is just slimmer throughout.

From my experience the Board Racer, Pemier Half Belt and I'm guessing the Premier highwayman are all much more similar in that they have quite narrow shoulders.

You can always get a Board Racer based Sheene

So basically the Sheene/Cafe Racer has more of a V-shape whereas the PHWM/others less so? Does it matter what body type I have to determine which would look best?

Argh so complicated...

Sorry for any confusion. My BR Sheene does NOT have side panels...I feel this makes it a slim-minimal style. Yes, the CR and regular Sheene have a pretty strong V going on AFAIK.

ProteinNerd

Yes the Sheene is much more V shaped.

You are in the UK. Can you take a weekend trip to Aero and see them directly? You can try on a heap of styles and sizes and talk to them about the best fit for you and any time wears they can make.

Moodles

New in Town
Sorry for any confusion. My BR Sheene does NOT have side panels...I feel this makes it a slim-minimal style. Yes, the CR and regular Sheene have a pretty strong V going on AFAIK.

I see. Thanks.

So I have quite a muscular build, but maybe not a V-shape: My measurements are as follows: My height is 176cm (about 5 feet 9 inches) tall. My waist around jeans is 88cm (about 36.5 inches). My chest is 96cm (38 inches) neutral and 102cm (40 inches) expanded. Perhaps the PHWM or Broad Racer would be best for my body type, then? Or maybe Aero could tailor the Cafe Racer perfectly even though I'm not so V-shape..

I just don't want the profile shot to look weird or like I've got more junk in the truck that I actually do, if that makes sense.

Nothing beats trying a few on.
Can you get to a stockist?

I have a similar chest size. What is a comfortable shoulder width for you?

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

Not sure if this helps or not but I'm 5'11
41.5 inch chest
32 inch waist

I went a 38 Sheene but had an extra 0.5inches added to each side panel in the waist. Its still pretty darn trim in the waist and I cant go eating too many donuts. Good in the chest and shoulders for me though.

I'm not sure the sheene is the best fit for someone with a 38-40 chest and 36 inch waist.

Moodles

New in Town
Not sure if this helps or not but I'm 5'11
41.5 inch chest
32 inch waist

I went a 38 Sheene but had an extra 0.5inches added to each side panel in the waist. Its still pretty darn trim in the waist and I cant go eating too many donuts. Good in the chest and shoulders for me though.

I'm not sure the sheene is the best fit for someone with a 38-40 chest and 36 inch waist.

You seem to have a much better ratio for the Sheene.

I think the Cafe Racer is not best for me based on my ratio

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Premiere Bootlegger is also something you might want to consider - slim-fitting but very cool (I also own one...). The BR is also a great slim-fitting jacket, it's got very high sleeve heads (armholes), so if you can, you might want to take a trip to Gala to try on a few designs before choosing one.
Looking at your measurements, I would maybe sway towards the Premiere Highwayman or STF Bootlegger, as they will flatter your frame better.

Last edited:
I like @Sloan1874 's suggestion (and not just b/c I'm a cross zip nut). The BL is a bit more forgiving in the waist area as it's a halfbelt, the beauty of which is you can dial in the taper and waist fit to your preference. If that style doesn't suit you I think a straight up CR with the dress collar of your choice might be your best bet. I've always been scared of the premier patterns as I'm built like an adolescent, albino gorilla. But on the guys that can pull them off...they look amazing.
If you can somehow find a way to try these styles on, you will save yourself a world of hurt and frustration. Best of luck and welcome aboard!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I sized up on my SFT Bootlegger, but it's closer to a 36.5" fit, rather than the 38" it's tagged, with the additional slim sleeves etc.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To add to the confusion, I am 6'2" with somewhat broad shoulders, 43" chest and 38" waist. A size 42 1930's half belt which also includes the Mulligan and Maxwell is a perfect fit for me with an inch or two extra in the sleeves to accomodate my long arms. A size 42 Sheene with 2" added to the circumference of the waist (1" added to each side panel) fits more or less the same as a 1930's half belt. A size 42 Premier Highwayman of a friend fit OK in the abdominal area but was very tight and restrictive in the chest and shoulders. Maybe a size 44 in that style might work for me but who knows? Since you live in the UK, your best bet would be to plan a trip to Galashiels to try on stuff so all the guesswork is removed.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
A "Board Racer Sheene" is properly what they call the "Seven".

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I share Fanch's confusion on fit and don't understand the shoulder width of some of these. A size 42 premier and a board racer have tiny, 18 inch shoulders. I have a 41 inch chest and 32 inch waist so I am not a heavy guy but I need wider shoulders for a good fit.

You have to go by measurements and ignore the tag. Remember when we were sizing down 1 or 2 to get a good fit with the Highwayman jackets? In most Aeros, I would size down to a 36, but in Premiere cuts I size up 1. My "seven" is a size 40 with 21" pit-to-pit and 18" shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ