leather jacket treatment question

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by scottyrocks, Jan 13, 2022.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but here goes.

I've read about a bunch of things that can be applied to leather jackets to treat and condition them. But recently I came across an article (online) that said that WD-40, among its tons of other uses, is good for this purpose.

Many of you leatherwear guys here know more than almost anyone about dead animal garments. Is WD-40 even an acceptable treatment for leather?

2. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

No don’t believe it!
    The cheapest conditioner you can safely use and then only if the jacket needs it which is seldom is a light application of Vaseline. There are numerous threads about when to condition how to condition and which is the best product - look them up but never ever use WD40. If you Google WD40 ingredients the list of chemicals will persuade you I’m sure.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    ton312, Chevalier and Canuck Panda like this.
  3. photo2u

photo2u Practically Family

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Chevalier likes this.
  4. marker2037

marker2037 Practically Family

Why would you feel the need to gamble with putting WD-40 onto your leather? There are plenty of leather conditioners out there that are literally designed and tested for leather use. WD-40, although great among it's many uses (cleaning off sticker goo is one of the best in case you didn't know), would not be something I would ever reach for for this purpose.

Besides, while it is a smell I like when using it, I would NOT want my leather products to smell of it.

tmitchell59, Peacoat, ES335 and 3 others like this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor

Cheapest leather conditioner is like $3, while WD-40 is $20 or so, so please don't use WD-40 on your leather jacket, thank you.
    I mean, you can apply it to your leather jacket just as you can apply ketchup but that doesn't mean you should.

ton312, handymike, TREEMAN and 3 others like this.
  6. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Applying WD-40 sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Literally try any product intended for use on leather before trying that.

ES335, Chevalier and Guppy like this.
  7. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

You can also coat the entire jacket in duct tape, which will add a protective layer and help to prevent scrapes and scratches from ruining the top coat.

8. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

Noooo. While WD-40 contains petroleum jelly which is considered good for leather, it also contains a bunch of organic solvents which may damage the topcoat.

9. ES335

ES335 One of the Regulars

Why on gawd's green earth would anyone apply a petroleum product to fine leather? Including vasoline. Gasp... NO!

10. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

I have to correct my earlier post. I just saw an old jacket label that said it is safe to clean leather with Stoddard's solvent. Well, WD-40 is pretty much Stoddard's solvent plus some paraffin waxes. So, if you apply WD-40 to your jacket, the solvent should penetrate the leather (depending on the topcoat), and pull the paraffin wax into the leather with it. The solvent then evaporates, leaving paraffin waxes in the leather, where they belong. And paraffin waxes are a major component of Pecard's and other commercial "leather dressings". So, in principle, it could work. But there are still some risks - the WD-40 waxes could "bloom" to the surface after some time leaving unsightly white residue, etc, just because they were not formulated specifically for leather, but to displace water on metal surfaces. Therefore I'd rather use proven products such as Pecard's or similar.

born113 likes this.
  11. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

A wipe down with a cloth and mild soap is fine. Then, Obenauf's, Pecard's or Renapur. Don't WD-40 it.

El Marro, morrison2951 and ES335 like this.
  12. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

Maybe use it on a rusted zipper? :confused:
    I switched from Pecard to Vaseline.

Al 916 and tmitchell59 like this.
  13. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

IMG_9497.jpg
    I just spent my Friday night with a jar of Vaseline...

El Marro, Jin431, Al 916 and 4 others like this.
  14. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

What about some clear shoe polish (which I also already have)? It's made for leather shoes.

15. Monitor

Monitor

That's okay. It's the same stuff as any leather conditioner.

scottyrocks likes this.
  16. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

Just say no to WD-40. It gets rid of moisture and dissolves dirt and grease and I use it to clean bicycle chains and grimy or rusty car parts and WD-40 is not even great at that. Personally I hate the stuff and try not to even use it on a bicycle or car unless I have nothing else around. Don't put that shit on a jacket.

People generally seem to think a leather jacket needs conditioning when 9 times out of 10 it does not but yours might so post a pic if you can.

@scottyrocks, is your jacket really old and dry or a newer jacket?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM
    Monitor and marker2037 like this.
  17. marker2037

marker2037 Practically Family

Polish, but not wax. I'd like to see what product you have though.

18. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

It's not a real high quality leather. I would never post it here. Not brand new but certainly not old, but a little stiff. I just want to soften it up a bit.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022 at 7:37 AM
  19. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

20220116_022847.jpg

The Kiwi Mink Oil (lower left) says silicone. Is this okay?

Which is better, shoe polish or mink oil, are they both okay?

20. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

I find wd40 helps getting my jacket on & off quickly though, but then again my aero halfbelt is lined in moleskin & is quite grabby.