Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets & business casual environment

jr30

Familiar Face
Maybe a stupid question - because whatever you like is allowed.

However, I would like to know which model of leather jacket can be combined with suit trousers and a shirt with collar and fits into a business casual environment (not formal but still serious)? Are there any rules and if so, what would you suggest?

I particularly like the Aero jackets. For example, could a slightly longer jacket like the Teamster fit, or would you choose a completely different model. Or is a leather jacket basically a 'no-go'.

Thank you!

Best regards
Roman

jchance

One of the Regulars
I’ve seen leather jackets (G1 or A2) worn in law firm environment, on business casual fridays. Granted, it was in California and Colorado where the dress code is more casual than the typical NYC standard. The leather jackets were worn with jeans, not suit trousers.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it would work perfectly well within business casual, however I hate business casual and wish it did not exist. It is the ugliest possible middle ground. So bringing in a leather jacket with a wool or knit tie, etc, would actually make it a much more interesting look.

jr30

Familiar Face
I think it would work perfectly well within business casual, however I hate business casual and wish it did not exist. It is the ugliest possible middle ground. So bringing in a leather jacket with a wool or knit tie, etc, would actually make it a much more interesting look.

That's a really good argument.
Today I go "business casual" with chinos, a plain shirt usually white or blue and no tie. Plus black or brown Chelsea boots in winter. In very few cases I wear a suit jacket. But the look is boring because 70% of men walk like that today.
The combination mentioned is indeed interesting.
Roman

jr30

Familiar Face
Half-belts are pretty conservative and would work well for business casual. I think it's interesting that if you look at the old Sears catalogs, however, you'll see plenty of illustrations of aviator and crosszip motorcycle jackets being worn with button down shirt and tie.

Yes, that's right. I always have an image of an aviator jacket in my mind... with that tie, funny.
In my area, ties completely disappeared 6-7 years ago. But you still see men in suits, sporadically.

A Half-belt could actually work well. I have a 'natural' colored one. But it's become too small for me because I've gained weight over these Corona years and the Half-belt isn't forgiving. I would rather choose a dark brown, black or cordovan model for this purpose.

1705617831520.jpeg

Gentlemen, thank you for your inputs!

I will normally wear my Aero Chips (deleted side laces) to work. I also have worn my Trojan and J23 LWs. I think pretty much anything without side laces, studs, etc., will work.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I would go with a sports jacket- straight zip or cross zip honestly. A straight zip would stand out less.

There are many examples of guys back in the day wearing leather sports jackets with ties and the 1930s-50s (far superior) equivalent of business casual.
Screenshot_20240101_140403_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231114_135804_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231113_154734_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231019_071303_Instagram.jpg

You don't need the tie, but I do think it's a good look.

I wear somewhat similar looks quite often to work.
DSC03634.jpg
DSC02766 (1).jpg
DSC03171.jpg
DSC08676.jpg

You obviously do not have to go as full force on the vintage look as me. I'm just trying to give examples of what I do. I wear all this stuff to work minus the fedoras pretty often.

Nacho

Practically Family
@Rabbit has amazing style. Dude got a keen eye for proportions and colour match. I don't even dress vintage, but he convinces me to try it out through his pictures. Excellent photography skills too. Clear with a good depth of field. I've indeed taken inspirations from him.

jr30

Familiar Face
I see there are some pretty good approaches here. I personally wouldn't dress completely 'vintage' because it's too flashy for me. I even wonder whether leather jackets sometimes go with my outfit because they are rarely seen around me. Maybe I just don't have the 'courage' to dare something. ;)

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I’ve seen leather jackets (G1 or A2) worn in law firm environment, on business casual fridays. Granted, it was in California and Colorado where the dress code is more casual than the typical NYC standard. The leather jackets were worn with jeans, not suit trousers.

Another vote for flight jackets.

Military (dress) uniforms and business suits share similarities as concerns the symbolism of order, uniformity, morals etc. To combine a business (casual) look with a proper(albeit outdated) piece of military uniform is a nice nod to that similarities, IMO.

Personally, I don’t do “business casual” at the office. I will wear Chinos/Corduroys with sport shirts/wool jumper on retreats, offsites etc. but stick to suit (and tie) at the office.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I don’t do “business casual” at the office. I will wear Chinos/Corduroys with sport shirts/wool jumper on retreats, offsites etc. but stick to suit (and tie) at the office.

I was the same way. It just felt wrong to me. It's also inherently unflattering, I think. A coat and tie immediately pull things together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner