Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jackets with a still-reasonable used market?

blatman23

New in Town
So, a new stock Aero/bilt is circa 800-1000$ and it's made to fit your body.
Yet, I see ebayers pricing their used Aero jackets with often bad zippers and faults, for 650-750$ and THEY SELL!
Schotts have a much better used market for newcomers, but are limited to black jackets.

Where I come from - you don't save a hundred bucks off the new price only to have a used jacket with non-optimal measurements (but that's just me) That tells me the Aero used market is too hot to strike actual good deals in. Kind of like used cars in Corona times

Is there a nice unknown maker that I can keep an eye out for? I am talking the 100-250$ area with reasonable thickness, perhaps made in India/Vietnam/eastern block

Styles I like are as smooth as possible, like an Aero Sheene, or a Schott 689 that I have. (One piece front, no cross-stitches on the chest etc)

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
No suggestions , but some input. Aero typically is $1000-$1300. Most in the higher end jacket game know the measurements they want and can actually get an optimal fit going used, if at $700, for 50% the cost of new. Buying a new Schott does not guarantee a perfect fit as their proportions are what they are, take it or leave it.

hieu

A-List Customer
Size will matter a lot here. In the 34-40 range there are a lot of used jackets on Japanese marketplaces for great prices. If you're patient you could definitely find jackets from Aero, Lost Worlds, Schott, Vanson + a variety of Japanese brands for $150-300.

On western marketplaces, I find that Walter Dyer jackets often pop up for pretty good prices.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
So, a new stock Aero/bilt is circa 800-1000$ and it's made to fit your body.
Yet, I see ebayers pricing their used Aero jackets with often bad zippers and faults, for 650-750$ and THEY SELL!
Schotts have a much better used market for newcomers, but are limited to black jackets.

Where I come from - you don't save a hundred bucks off the new price only to have a used jacket with non-optimal measurements (but that's just me) That tells me the Aero used market is too hot to strike actual good deals in. Kind of like used cars in Corona times

Is there a nice unknown maker that I can keep an eye out for? I am talking the 100-250$ area with reasonable thickness, perhaps made in India/Vietnam/eastern block

Styles I like are as smooth as possible, like an Aero Sheene, or a Schott 689 that I have. (One piece front, no cross-stitches on the chest etc)

You can find nice Aeros on TFL Classifieds for very good prices sometimes. You have to be patient, check often, and pounce immediately. It is a jungle out there...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not look at 2nd hand Aero but if I do I'd like our fellow members say go to Yahoo Auction Japan or the Classified here.
Size will matter a lot here. In the 34-40 range there are a lot of used jackets on Japanese marketplaces for great prices. If you're patient you could definitely find jackets from Aero, Lost Worlds, Schott, Vanson + a variety of Japanese brands for $150-300.

On western marketplaces, I find that Walter Dyer jackets often pop up for pretty good prices.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero allows you to select sleeve and back length. They do not allow you to change or modify other measurements.
Not quite. This may be the case for first-time buyers. I could also order taper, minimal widening of the shoulder and front drop.

cbez

One Too Many
I mostly shop used Japanese and my impression is the opposite, Aero hanging down at the bottom just above fashion jackets. But the lower new price pays a big part.

AHP91

Practically Family

The lost worlds coming out of japan are mainly second rate productions. But yes, aero second hand in these sizes should be bought for around 300 bucks, and not a whole lot more than that

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Check out Japan proxies: fromjapan, buyee, zenmarket.

My purchases from there so far:
150eu Vanson Model B
180eu Vanson Model E
30eu Schott 740N Peacoat

I've seen a lot of Aero jackets in the 250-350eu range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner