Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather long car coat 1900-1910s – pre WW1 - Horsehide? – 42-44

Kunja

Practically Family
For sale is a very rare and unusual jacket, a long leather car coat from the early days of the open cockpit automobile. It dates to the turn of the century or a little after. I acquired this one 10 or 15 years ago from an eBay seller in Perth Australia. He claimed to have bought it from the estate of the daughter (or granddaughter?) of the man who originally owned it, and that the original owner had served with the Australian Expeditionary Forces in WW1. The seller was shown a photo taken before the war of the young man wearing the coat astride an early motorcycle. So that's the “provenance” that I have for this one.

I believe this is horsehide. No maker’s marks, this one was likely a bespoke piece made especially for the owner. This jacket does show some wear, as can be expected, and even a small spot of red paint on one sleeve from a painting project ages ago, but it is perfectly wearable and I have worn it many times over the years. Its in amazing shape for a jacket that is well over 100 years old!

This coat has some of the greatest leather grain I have ever seen! Double breasted button front, as this was made long before the zipper was invented. The tan cotton liner is coming away from the collar a bit but is still solid overall, and the storm cuffs are still in pretty good shape. The included belt is not original but does match almost perfectly. I’ve always liked the sort of high waisted location of the belt on this as well as the classic rounded shoulders.

This fits like a 42-44. Measurements are
Chest: 22
Shoulders across back: 19-20
Length from collar seam to bottom: 43
Sleeves: 25-26

I’m looking for $750 plus shipping, PP/FF on this special coat. As always gentlemen, thanks for looking and questions welcomed.

horsehide-long-coat-1900-4.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-1.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-6.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-8.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-back-1.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-3.jpg
horsehide-long-coat-1900-5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB