Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Monkeys info

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I read the various threads on here about Leather Monkeys UK and there isnt anything too worrying in there but having recently purchased a jacket from them i need to return im a little worried about the lack of returns address or info and any contact details. Anyone got any recent experience of dealing with them?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've looked at the website, but never bought anything. They seemed to have very expensive prices on vintage jackets, and their new stuff didn't appeal to me.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Hi, looks like there is a link to a returns page and a full address on their Terms page - in the main menu.
Also a phone number on Google when I searched?

no experience first hand but I really like this jacket that looks an awful lot like another British jacket. What the hide like?
IMG_1459.PNG

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Well it's definitely not CXL or anything anywhere near it. But I don't think it looks much lighter than vic or some of the other cruiser weights.
Maybe, but my taste has been "ruined" by Aero, Thedi, Vanson, Lost Worlds, Cal Leather, Langlitz... If I'm going to spend money on yet another jacket I don't strictly speaking **need**, I might as well get the best... [emoji28]

Yeah I just looked at their IG. Hides do look awfully thin. Would be nice if the OP could post some photos of his. I don't think there's ever been one posted here...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Maybe, but my taste has been "ruined" by Aero, Thedi, Vanson, Lost Worlds, Cal Leather, Langlitz... If I'm going to spend money on yet another jacket I don't strictly speaking **need**, I might as well get the best... [emoji28]

Some of us - the minority, probably - prefer the thinner hides. I have no use for anything over 2.5oz. This option does pique my interest. I like the look of the leather here. Of the list you mention only some Aeros and Thedis would appeal to me, the other makers, not at all. Just saying... :D

I'd be curious to see one in the flesh. The dominator look alike is cool. Be nice to see one outside of IG or the site. Let's not forget that these are also 1/2 and in some cases 1/3 the price of the brands Guppy mentioned.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Some of us - the minority, probably - prefer the thinner hides. I have no use for anything over 2.5oz. This option does pique my interest. I like the look of the leather here. Of the list you mention only some Aeros and Thedis would appeal to me, the other makers, not at all. Just saying... :D
I have some thinner jackets, too, but for me thin is middle weight for most people. I love 3-5oz, but I'll wear some 2.5oz sometimes.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Hi, OP here, in answer to the question on the hide, its described as cowhide but its not a heavy cowhide as per say Lewis Leathers, I had a Lewis Leathers sheep hide Corsair and its similar in weight and feel to that but as this is supposed to be cowhide im guessing its not full grain. Its literally half the weight of a similar sized full grain cowhide super monza I own.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think 1 cxl jacket is enough for me. I like the feel when it's on, but prefer the shinki weight for California. If I lived in a colder climate things would be different.
I have no idea how people in California can cope with heavy leather in that climate. You'd be sweating bullets within minutes of putting it on!

Hi, OP here, in answer to the question on the hide, its described as cowhide but its not a heavy cowhide as per say Lewis Leathers, I had a Lewis Leathers sheep hide Corsair and its similar in weight and feel to that but as this is supposed to be cowhide im guessing its not full grain. Its literally half the weight of a similar sized full grain cowhide super monza I own.
Thank you. 'Nuff said!

Jejupe

Practically Family
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend of mine about my leather jacket collection . He said: "I don't know much about leather jackets, but I know that best quality leather is the softest one!". I think this idea might be very common with "normal" people. So if you want to sell lots of middle priced (from our view point) leather jackets you'd be better of making them soft and light.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend of mine about my leather jacket collection . He said: "I don't know much about leather jackets, but I know that best quality leather is the softest one!". I think this idea might be very common with "normal" people. So if you want to sell lots of middle priced (from our view point) leather jackets you'd be better of making them soft and light.

This may be partly true but it does have an air of condescension about it. I don't know any normal people or care for mass market taste, myself. I can report that I am the only male I know in my immediate circle with any leathers these days.

But as a buyer and seller of leathers over 30 plus years I know what I like. I also know that most of the period leathers I have seen are 2.5oz and lighter. So it isn't such a terrible preference, surely?

Last edited:

Jejupe

Practically Family
This may be partly true but it does have an air of condescension about it. I don't know any normal people or care for mass market taste, myself. I can report that I am the only male I know in my immediate circle with any leathers these days.

But as a buyer and seller of leathers over 30 plus years I know what I like. I also know that most of the period leathers I have seen are 2.5oz and lighter. So it isn't such a terrible preference, surely?

No condescension from me. My favorite hide is goat.

My point is that most consumers (I think) expect expensive high quality clothes to be nice and comfortable from the start.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch