Leather Police Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by BigHairyFinn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I second that. These jackets are a steal at $99.

I got one of their older Chicago models a couple of years back in a clearance sale when they were transitioning to different cowhide. It was $199 when I bought it... which unfortunately then dropped to $99 just a couple of months later. D'oh!

But even at $200 (plus $25 more to factory-shorten the sleeves) I think it's a damn nice jacket. It's really heavy, very tough, quite warm, very practical (FIVE interior pockets) and is the only only of my leathers that's good for full-blown winter conditions. And it will outlive me.

TaylorChicago2.jpg

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

That's exactly the model I have, I believe. A nice vibe to it, just a touch of 'bomber' style, but enough to also make it different when I fancy something other than a flyboy look. The silver buttons give it just a touch of that 'uniform' style that speaks to my inner, teenage punk rocker that used to wear military dress jackets with bondage trousers back in the day.

3. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I just posted a early Cal Leather jacket. This one look very similar. No label. Late 30s zipper, appears to be Goatskin

DSC03058.JPG
    DSC03060.JPG DSC03061.JPG DSC03063.JPG DSC03064.JPG DSC03067.JPG DSC03069.JPG DSC03071.JPG DSC03082.JPG DSC03084.JPG

4. TheGuitarFairy

TheGuitarFairy Practically Family

This Fidelity has been lingering on my local CL for literally 1.5 years ... getting cheaper and cheaper to boot. Finally caved and rescued it a few days ago. A 40 (i'm a 42) so fits nice and just a little trim.
    IMG_8918.jpg
    IMG_8920.jpg

5. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Fidelity steerhide gets no love, but other brands with similar leather do. Plus, Fidelity jackets seem to fit very well and generally are a bit longer than other jackets from the era. Nice score.

Jin431, photo2u and TheGuitarFairy like this.
  6. Leather Walker

Leather Walker One of the Regulars

I can't get enough of these kind of pics!
    [​IMG]

Canuck Panda, Jin431, photo2u and 4 others like this.
  7. TLW '90

TLW '90 One of the Regulars

Aren't Taylor's jackets made in India or Pakistan now though ?
    That's why I thought my TLW Illinois municipal was a great deal at $250, NOS Unissued from 1990, made in the USA, and less than the current imports.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...tate-patrol-leather-jacket-like-new?a=2237343

They're listed as " like new " because patches were removed, but they're definitely unissued.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  8. TLW '90

That link is not taking you directly to the product, but if you search " leather police jacket " it will pop up.
    Still available, $239.
    Theres also a very nice looking German police surplus for $149 , but you'd have to figure out what to do about the POLIZEI printed across the back.
    looks like a pretty nice German made jacket for the money if you know a way to remove the text or if you think that's cool and just wanna leave it.

9. lina

lina Practically Family

Nice. Back when CA police used Moto Guzzis, which always seemed a little strange to me, but cool.

10. lina

lina Practically Family

I remember when the Sportsmans guide was a mail order catalog called Sovietski, basically selling off the leftover surplus from the Soviet block states. Lots of interesting and weird and very cheap stuff back then.

11. TLW '90

Apparently if you want some really interesting stuff I'm told you gotta check out Varusteleka in Finland.
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en

Cornelius and lina like this.
  12. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

13. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

4d37d19d6984c02653ac3d49f04577f8.jpg

Monitor likes this.
  14. Monitor

Monitor

Whose police is that? Seems like they've adopted Beretta M12 very early on. . .

15. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    Uncle Google says Carabinieri.

Monitor likes this.
  16. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

Strong second here on Varusteleka - great shop, I get all my winter merino base layers from them, along with other odds & ends.

17. TLW '90

I'm definitely gonna have to have a look at their merino base layer stuff.

18. TLW '90

I'm definitely gonna have to have a look at their merino base layer stuff.