Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather quality on new Highwayman

Chris_B

New in Town
Hello,

recently I received my new custom Aero Highwayman with a one-piece back.
I really like the jacket and admire the workmanship on this garment.

But one thing keeps me thinking: the quality on the back panel differs from the front.
While the leather used on the front is smooth and shining, the back rather seems to be rough and coarse.

Did anyone have similar experiences?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris
It's still kind of hard to tell...but it does look a little rough..or dry looking. Perhaps some leather conditioner would help or maybe even solve any problem. You could send the photo to Amanda(email) and ask her for advice,though. I bet Aero would have a remedy!
HD

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see a few pics of you wearing it, front and back, it would be easier to see what is going on.
I have been considering black fqhh in the belief that it did not show any mismatching of grain. I guess all the fqhh shows some of it.

Chris_B

New in Town
Chris
It's still kind of hard to tell...but it does look a little rough..or dry looking. Perhaps some leather conditioner would help or maybe even solve any problem. You could send the photo to Amanda(email) and ask her for advice,though. I bet Aero would have a remedy!
HD

Indeed the leather is quite rough and dry on the back. Amanda says, this is normal though :-/
What kind of conditioner would you recommend?

Anyway I would expect, that a new jacket does not need any kind of treatment!

Hi Chris
Well..it could,indeed,be quite normal. It's hard for me to tell by the photo. You are quite right..a new jacket doesn't normally need any conditioner. The only time that I've used any conditioner on one of my Aeros was after it was five years old + and became somewhat dry around the collar crease or bend. Then I rubbed in a small amount. Usually a new Aero jacket arrives with a waxy feel to the HH due to the tanning of Aero's unique HH. I used Aero's conditioner that was sent along with my jacket when new( I think it is actually their brand of 'Lexol"). I would contact Aero again and ask them to send a small bottle of their conditioner to you...or you could look for something similar in your area at a leather or shoe shop. All you are wanting to do is recondition a certain area. Many use Pecards conditioner for older vintage leather jackets which I think is available on line..but..I would try Aero first. That way you would be going with what they recommend..and if it didn't work..at least you'd be working with Aero to solve it rather than applying something that they could disagree with.
HD

Chris_B

New in Town
Thank you very much guys for your input. I think I will contact Amanda again to send me some of their leather care.
In the next days I will also post some pics of me wearing the jacket...

@SwimCap: Did the Pecards help in smoothening the leather?

Deckburner

New in Town
yes it did. But after Hoosier Daddy's post, I am curious to try Aero's conditioner, which I was unaware of before now. But I would love to see more close ups of other's FQHH jackets to compare my leather with. Mine is about 6 months old now. And I have no other experience with this leather.

Last edited:
My FQHH Highwayman. This is an older antiqued brown model....

100_0411.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff