Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leatherique on FQHH - experience?

bobjones

A-List Customer
Based upon Aero's website, I purchased a container of Leatherique Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean. I have a 5 year old FQHH brown Stockman, and a 4 year old FQHH Highwayman. Since they are starting to show a bit of wear, I thought it might be time to re-invigorate them.

A few questions for the forum:

1) has anyone used them before, and what has been their experience? Were the results positive?
2) did they affect the color/look of the jacket?
3) at what point of jacket ownership/condition should they be used, and how frequently each year?
4) how were they applied (by hand, cloth, etc.) and what was the step-by-step process used to apply each to the jacket (I recall the manufacturer's site stating the rejuvenator is to be used first, then the cleaner).
5) are both really needed, or would the rejuvenator be sufficient? (the maker's web site does not mention using the cleaner for jackets).
6) the maker's website indicated that for heavier jackets, multiple coatings might be needed; for FQHH, should more than one application of the rejuvenator be used?
7) how long should the jacket be hung up to dry before other clothing items can touch it without them being affected by the chemical agent?

Thanks for any helpful info.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I have been using the Leatherique products for several years. I began using it for my car's leather seats approx. every six months. It works well on FQHH without being a greasy product like some others.
1) has anyone used them before, and what has been their experience? Were the results positive? Yes, it works well
2) did they affect the color/look of the jacket? Does not darken the leather like Pecards will
3) at what point of jacket ownership/condition should they be used, and how frequently each year? Usually after a year or so, but I have used it right away on used jackets
4) how were they applied (by hand, cloth, etc.) and what was the step-by-step process used to apply each to the jacket (I recall the manufacturer's site stating the rejuvenator is to be used first, then the cleanerI use a rag to apply it. It's too thin to apply with just your hand
5) are both really needed, or would the rejuvenator be sufficient? (the maker's web site does not mention using the cleaner for jackets).If the jacket is clean, you can just use the rejuvinator
6) the maker's website indicated that for heavier jackets, multiple coatings might be needed; for FQHH, should more than one application of the rejuvenator be used?I've never had to apply multiple coats. Do a light coat at first to see how it goes
7) how long should the jacket be hung up to dry before other clothing items can touch it without them being affected by the chemical agent?Overnight should be good with a light coat. I also will buff off the jacket with a clean rag before wear

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I also have used Leatherique. I have used it on all sorts of leather, goatskin, horsehide, and cowhide. Car seats and jackets. The cleaner not only cleans, but also adds to the rejuvination process IMO. Doesn't affect the color after drying. Can be applied by hand, but it is watery (meaning not pasty), so the jacket must be laid flat beforehand. Just hang until it soaks in or dry which takes only 1-3 days.

D

Deleted member 16736

I used it on my FQHH Highwayman and it stripped off the patina.

In my view...luxury car owners would rather keep their leather interior looking new...or as near new as possible. Their idea of 'charactor' is whether to achieve a low luster or glossier appearance. Patina is what they hope to prevent.
HD

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
We've added a new section to the Aero website, about wear and care for your Aero jacket. As it says on it, under the section "Treating Horsehide Leather"...

"Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035."

Full details on our recommendations here - http://aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
..."Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035."
I love this attitude! ;) "Our jackets need no treatment, Sir!" Thank you for the sound advise, Holly! :D

It was always my understanding,since purchasing my first Aero FQHH jacket,that this hide is 'treated' at the tannery with waxes and fats that not only 'preserve' it for many years...but also allows it to obtain and keep developing a beautiful patina since this process needs no 'rejuvenation' for many years.
When receiving a new heavy FQHH Aero jacket..the finish is even waxy to the touch. Why add more lotion to the potion. Overkill that only hides what Aero's FQHH is known to achieve....Great Charactor. The more it's worn..and worn...the more antiqued,and burnished it becomes. Even with a shirt and tie..it can offer a distinguished contrast.
Go beat the Aero HH jacket with a baseball bat(to relieve rejuvenating tensions)...neatly press a crease in a pair of khakis..tie a knot in a plaid wool tie...slip on the rugged Aero then find the nearest pub to relax. You'll feel better in the morning....:cool::D ;)
HD

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, Holly's advice went well with my own - limited - experience with Aeroleather. Before I got my first jacket from them I was insecure about what to expect. Would it be something so stiff and hard that it would be impossible to wear comfortably for the first few months? Would it need "special treatment"? None of this! It's a bit tough, right, but after a day or so it starts breaking in a bit and now, after a mere 2 weeks, it's so comfortable and nice, a jacket to live in.
And I love this "wear, don't care"-attitude from Aero. That's how my jacket should be. No need to baby it, no need to be concerned, it can stand whatever I can. Period.

D

Deleted member 16736

Surely he means the surface of the jacket was restored, thus removing the patina?

Correct. The surface of the jacket was restored by removing the patina. Not exactly what I had hoped for.

What do you guys think about not hanging up a leather jacket but simply throwing it, neatly folded, over the back of a chair? I find constantly taking in and out of the closet not only is time-consuming and bothersome, but also tends to scuff up the seam on the back of the sleeves. Easier -- and maybe better for your jacket -- is simply to throw it over a chair, which also tends to keep it pliable. Of course in the off-season, one can hang it up. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good Morning Joel;

I would be concerned about the leather taking a set by neatly folding it up and putting it over a chair.

What I do is throw it on the floor of the closet along with it's stablemates. Once in a while, especially during the off season, I'll go into that walk in closet and kick that pile of leather jackets around to remind them who the boss is!

No, I don't live in a state of disarray............I'm actually extremely neat and tidy!

mattp

One of the Regulars
Agreed, I throw mine on a chair or sofa, but skip the folding part so it doesn't develop creases where it was neatly folded. If the floor's clean that will also do!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Well, Holly's advice went well with my own - limited - experience with Aeroleather. Before I got my first jacket from them I was insecure about what to expect. Would it be something so stiff and hard that it would be impossible to wear comfortably for the first few months? Would it need "special treatment"? None of this! It's a bit tough, right, but after a day or so it starts breaking in a bit and now, after a mere 2 weeks, it's so comfortable and nice, a jacket to live in.
And I love this "wear, don't care"-attitude from Aero. That's how my jacket should be. No need to baby it, no need to be concerned, it can stand whatever I can. Period.

Spot on :)

Happy to help, if anyone ever has any questions which I've not noticed, feel free to PM me, or drop me an email!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points