Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary "Cinema Glamour Shop" To Close

Vanessa

One Too Many
Hey - not sure if anyone has mentioned this in a previous post, but here's an article from the latest CGW newsletter:

"In 1930, during the during the depression, Mary Pickford opened the doors to the Screen Star Thridt Shop for the purpose of providing financial support to the Motion Picture & Television Fund and allowing the 'bit players' the oppurtunity to purchase the expensive, glamorous clothing donated by the stars. The shop was re-opened as the Cinema Glamour Shop in 1968 when it came under the management of the Screen Smart Set, the Motion Picture & Television Fund's auxiliary support group.

Unfortunately, the Shop must close its doors Friday, October 28, 2005.

All items in the shop are reduced 50% until the closing. There are so many treasuresl you should take advantage of this sale. There are designer and vintage clothing, accessories, shoes, furniture, housewares, books and collectibles.

The Cinema Glamour Shop is located at 343 North La Brea Avennue, Los Angeles, CA 90036. The hours are 10-4, Monday thru Friday."

Now that you West Coasters know about it, I'm going to go & cry in the corner 'cause I live way over here in Chicago. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'll see if I can! Unfortunately, I work Mon-Fri, so if I want to go I guess I'll have to take a day off. Queenie, if you scout it out will you let us know if it's worthwhile?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Are you kidding? And let you gals buy up all the good stuff? ;)

Of course I'll report back. I'm planning to go tomorrow. Lauren, if you do decide to come up, let me know and maybe we can make a day of it?

~ Queenie

Dahlia

Familiar Face
I had never heard of this store either but it sounds wonderful. It's a shame that it will be closing. If I have the opportunity to head north to LA I'll definitely stop by.

MissQueenie, have you been able to go yet?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Apparently, in the first glow of excitement, I temporarily lost my ability to read.

10am-4pm, M-F is pretty much when I'm at work. I might work an extra hour or two tomorrow and cut out early on Wednesday, to get a look. No wonder it's such a well-kept secret! You have to play hookey in order to shop there! ;)

I'll do my best, hopefully I'll get over there during the week!

~ Queenie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24