Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your Casseroles!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
The casserole really came into its own during the Depression...you could make just a little bit of meat s t r e t c h a really long way, and cook a full nutritionally balanced meal in one pot and save on fuel. Anyone have some on the shelf? Feel free to show the original servingware itself, as well as anything you've cooked in one!

Here are two to get started; I bought these to serve period-correct food at a vintage Skeet shoot I ran a few years ago. The first is a used aluminum model, I'd guess from the '30s by style; the second is a NOS stainless steel Speedy-clean model by Everedy, it was introduced in the '30s, I think, and was still available in the 60s. Or so I'm told...

http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF1725

http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF1724

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Must say when I saw the title of this thread one was expecting photographs of steaming Lancashire "Hot Pots" with huge tender chunks of beef, cooked in dripping with lashings of unctuous gravy! served with creamy smashed potato, or Lamb shanks "au navarin" served with tiny herbed roast potatoes, and white asparagus. mmm

Oh well! all the better to see the actual "casserole dish" here are a couple I use, they are silver plate and the dish is "Pyrex" and lifts out so you can use them in one of those new fangled Microwave machines, or in ordinary oven, on a very low heat for hours!I have used just the container with out the lid as a centrepiece to hold flowers at a more formal dinner party, It looked rather lovely, you can also fill it with crushed ice and sit a little dish of caviar in the centre

3410726896_9dcebccafe.jpg

3409910455_5f6d332dab.jpg

3410742098_2999744475.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"Must say when I saw the title of this thread one was expecting photographs of steaming Lancashire "Hot Pots" with huge tender chunks of beef, cooked in dripping with lashings of unctuous gravy! served with creamy smashed potato, or Lamb shanks "au navarin" served with tiny herbed roast potatoes, and white asparagus. mmm

Binkie, old boy! "mmmm" is right. Feel free to send some pictures when you make it....and, if it weren't such a long walk over to your digs, I'd be standing at the door with a knife and fork at the ready.;)

Thanks for sharing such lovely--and rather more upscale!--casseroles.

"Skeet"

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I don't have any fancy dishes to make em in, but mom mom makes a mean Potato-Sausage-Cheese Casserole. My dad calls it a heart attack in a bowl.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Has the ring of history (and infarctions) about it....

J.J. Gittes said:
I don't have any fancy dishes to make em in, but mom mom makes a mean Potato-Sausage-Cheese Casserole. My dad calls it a heart attack in a bowl.

Well, J.J.--those ingredients sound mighty like Depression food to me! You might ask your mom if it was one of her mother's recipes that SHE grew up with, or where she got it?

Sounds good...thanks!

"Skeet"
(and if it turns out it is old enough to be "period" you might ask her for the recipe and oral history and post it here, if you like....) SMcD

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well, J.J.--those ingredients sound mighty like Depression food to me! You might ask your mom if it was one of her mother's recipes that SHE grew up with, or where she got it?

Sounds good...thanks!

"Skeet"
(and if it turns out it is old enough to be "period" you might ask her for the recipe and oral history and post it here, if you like....) SMcD[/QUOTE]

My mom said that her grandma used to make it for her mom! I guess it can be considered period, My Grandma was born around the depression. Problem is, that there isn't any measuring with it, you put enough till it looks right!
The basics are,
1 lb. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
A bag or so of russet potatoes peeled and sliced depending on the size of the dish
Half an Onion-diced
Half Cup Of Milk
4 packages of Jimmy dean sausage links
You keep layering potatoes, onions, and cheese until you fill the pan, then you pour the milk over it. When your done with that, you get the onions and put them on rows on top. Bake it on 350 for 45 minutes to an hour I think, don't quote me on this yet.. You can also make some buttermilk biscuits to go with it too. Best part is, the leftovers taste better than the night before!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I often prepare my Gran's family cassoulet recipe but were I to share it I would certainly go to Hell. I will say this: It takes a whole (24 hour) day.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
J.J. Gittes said:
My mom said that her grandma used to make it for her mom! I guess it can be considered period...
The basics are,
1 lb. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
A bag or so of russet potatoes peeled and sliced depending on the size of the dish
Half an Onion-diced
Half Cup Of Milk
4 packages of Jimmy dean sausage links
You keep layering potatoes, onions, and cheese until you fill the pan, then you pour the milk over it. When your done with that, you get the onions and put them on rows on top. Bake it on 350 for 45 minutes to an hour I think, don't quote me on this yet.. You can also make some buttermilk biscuits to go with it too. Best part is, the leftovers taste better than the night before!

Dear JJ,
Thanks so much! Looks good--what part of the country is this from, BTW? I thought I'd poke through my Depression cookbooks and find a similar recipe, but was somewhat surprised to find none with sausage--not that I think that in any way means your great-grandmother's dish isn't period-proper. The real issue in so many recipes before you could just go to the store and get whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted it, was...what was available.

Here's the closest I found:
Potatoes with Cheese
6 medium potatoes
1 tspn salt; pepper to taste
2 Tbspn flour
1/2 cup grated cheese
4 Tbspn butter
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 1/2 cup milk

Pare potatoes and cut in very thin slices. Cook 5 minutes and drain. Place about a quarter of the potatoes in a baking dish; sprinkle about a quarter of the salt, flour, cheese, butter and pepper and continue for 3 or more layers. Mix yolks with milk and pour over. Bake at 350F until potatoes are tender and custard is set (about an hour)

Thanks again!
"Skeet"

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Well, my grandmother is Scottish and Mexican, her father Mexican, mother Scottish. Isn't a Mexican dish so I'd guess Scottish. Your recipe is pretty close, sounds like the same thing, but with a egg custard on top with flour in between. Next time she makes it, I'll take a picture!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points