1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Let's see your mechanical watches

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Dr Roly, May 19, 2014.

1. Dr Roly

Dr Roly New in Town

To get things started; here's my Poljot International Strela. The photo didn't turn out as well as hoped, as my Photobucket app adds a lot of compression.

[​IMG]

Trenchfriend likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Isn't there a thread on watches already?

3. Dr Roly

Dr Roly New in Town

I think the other thread is for vintage watches. There are still a few modern hand-winders out there, and I thought it might be interesting to see them.

4. Left to right: '50s vintage Bulova, Poljot "Shturmanskie" chronograph, Slava 1980 Olympic watch.

[​IMG]

5. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Here are some,don't make me wear out my thumb
    [​IMG]
    Richard

handymike, William G. and javadave61 like this.
  6. Annixter

Annixter Practically Family

7. The Poljot 3133 family seems to be a favorite here at the FL.

8. Nyah

Nyah One of the Regulars

Well before I discovered the Fedora Lounge, I'd been looking to get a mechanical watch. Not out of a desire for vintage style but for utility. I don't think I ever found anything suitable.

What companies currently make mechanical watches? Are there any that stay below the jewelry (Rolex, etc) realm?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Nyah;
    Here you go perfect starter watch, Cheap, durable, automatic, The Vostok
    [​IMG]
    If you have the money go for the Poljot 3133, they have been going up in price
    Richard

Trenchfriend and Edward like this.
  10. Pretty much all the major watch manufacturers make mechanical watches. You can get them for around $100, far below higher end "jewelry" watches.

And out of curiosity, what kind of utility are you looking for in a watch?

11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Stauer do a number of quartz watches but their main market is very, very accurate reproductions. They are good, and I have no moans about their quality, oh but do they ever not leave you alone once you have made a purchase? I have blocked their texts and emails, but they still mail me by post, even though every letter gets returned: "Not known at this address." Beware.

12. gwold

gwold New in Town

Take a wander through the Watchuseek forum: http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php. Give yourself a long weekend, just to get started.

13. And for a vintage style watch Poljot made Hanhart copies like this one with the 3133 movement.

[​IMG]

14. Foxer55

Foxer55 A-List Customer

Two of my favorites.

My 50 year old Rolex GMT Master that I got in Europe oh so many years ago.

Rolex good.jpg

A more recent acquisition, a Tudor stainless and gold chronograph. I also have one of these in stainless only. This one actually needs a slightly darker band.

Tudoir Gold 2.jpg

15. viclip

viclip Practically Family

What price range are you considering?

16. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Consider a Hamilton Khaki Automatic in your search. I have two - a black military dial and a silver dial. Quality is good and they are reasonably priced on eBay. I feel they are attractive without being showy or blingy, and they have an American heritage - sort of.

17. gwold

gwold New in Town

Take a look at Mk II.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com

Boutique watchmaker, doing homages to classics, typically with a military heritage; but updated for a somewhat modern touch as well. Be aware, though, that buying new means a long wait.

18. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Rado watches from the 1950's up to the 1970's are some hard watches to beat for quality and style.

19. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Have you considered a good old vintage Timex? I got this one for free, just added a band. It keeps good enough time, since you wind it every morning. I actually get complements, and lots of people remember the old John Cameron Swayze commercials! [​IMG] [video=youtube;HVatUaplyVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVatUaplyVU[/video]

20. ChrisT

ChrisT One of the Regulars

I love your watch Stearmen. Do you know when it was made?