Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Letterman's shave

Canadave

One Too Many
Anyone see what the barber used to shave Letterman Monday night? After being sheared with electric clippers, the barber used a device that I'd never seen before. It looked like a plastic handle for a double-edged razor blade that is used at a similar angle to a straight razor. Is this a new-fangled version?

David

Jay

Practically Family
Canadave said:
Anyone see what the barber used to shave Letterman Monday night? After being sheared with electric clippers, the barber used a device that I'd never seen before. It looked like a plastic handle for a double-edged razor blade that is used at a similar angle to a straight razor. Is this a new-fangled version?

David
I'd assume so. Maybe so they don't have to waste time sharpening a blade? I don't think I'd want to use one, though.

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, looked like a straight-razor handle with an attachment in place of the blade that holds normal double-edged blades.

Didn't I read someplace that it is illegal in some states for barbers to re-use razor blades (normal straight razors). They have to use a new blade for each customer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
They didn't use the hot towels before the shave :eek: because Dave hurried them to begin,"because we gotta get right through it, we got a big show." :eusa_doh: Not good to rush a barber through a shave, I'll bet he didn't tell his heart surgeon to hurry.

BTW, is it me or is Dave losing the Funny?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Canadave said:

David

It looks like some version of the Durham Duplex razor. I have one, but the blades are a little longer. The one the guy used on Letterman seems to take regular DE blades.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
I agree with panamag8or. It looks like a Durham Duplex, but with normal sized DE blades. I tried a quick google search, but couldn't find anything currently marketed that fits that description.

No face prep, (assumed) hot goo from a can.... :eek: shakeshead Not for me.

I spend at least five minutes on face preparation and creating real lather before even touching my face with my straight razor. I don't want to even think about going through what was done to Letterman. <scary>

Bob

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
poetman said:
34 dollars per a shave!!!!! That's absurd. Barbers do it for under 15 all the time!
Art of Shaving charges $35 and Truefitt & Hill charges $55. :eek:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Canadave said:
Difference between NYC and almost anywhere else, I'm afraid.

The expense of NYC gets overstated quite often. One can spend hundreds on a meal here, yes, and those are the restaurants you hear about. But there are hundreds, even thousands, of affordable restaurants, too. And at that, NYC is hardly the only expensive city in North America.

You can pay a lot for a shave in NYC, but you needn't necessarily do so. Why go to a hoitsy-toitsy chain when the neighborhood barber will do?

There's a barber shop in my neighborhood (Chelsea) that charges just ten bucks for a shave. There's another -- the one I patronize for my haircuts -- that charges an inexplicable forty dollars. That old singsong "Shave and a haircut -- two bits (or was it four bits?)" would be "Shave and a haircut -- seventy dollars, plus tip" at this joint.

I'll keep going there for the $30 haircuts, but you can bet I'll never take a shave there.

Speaking of which, I like to collect old turns of phrases that have largely fallen out of use now, but which one will occasionally encounter in an old movie or novel: "Take a shave" and "raise a mustache" are two of my favorites.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
If anything more was needed to kill off the barbershop shave, this sorry attempt may have been the last nail in the coffin.

"As long as a professional is doing it..." Give me a break! :mad:

Canadave

One Too Many
skyvue said:
...Speaking of which, I like to collect old turns of phrases that have largely fallen out of use now, but which one will occasionally encounter in an old movie or novel: "Take a shave" and "raise a mustache" are two of my favorites.

:) Let's hear a few more. Actually, may be a bit off-topic here...why don't you start a thread? You may learn some more.

David

If you do start a new thread, reference it in this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto