Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LEVI'S EXPERTS PLEASE

dr greg

One Too Many
OK
I got this today, . it has the BIG E label on the pocket, but the inner label on the yoke is gone. It has no fruitpockets and the denim seems fairly stiff and there is some wear on the insides of the "buttons' that make me think it might be the real thing, it could of course be of recent offshore manufacture, but all the Chinese Levi stuff I've seen has the material very pliable and with a worn-in feel...any data to be gained from the pocket design etc and /or the colour? I can't find any red or green line because it's all flat-felled seams, the size of the stitaching left from the yoke label makes me think it's made in Australia.
ejack001mc1.jpg

ejack002nm1.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
It's a 557XX pattern, made from 1962 until the longer jacket with pockets was introduced. You can usually tell where it was made by the numbers stamped on the button rivets (not always reliable). To distinguish the year of manufacture requires a label (or at least the 'track' of where the label used to be) and an examination of the buttons. I can't tell enough from your photos to say what year it is or whether it is genuine or a repro. If it's a repro it's likely to be an official LVC issue as LSC tend to 'sue the ass off' anyone who contravenes their trade mark.

Here's a website that explains the dating system: http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/chart1.htm

I hope this helps.

Alan

dr greg

One Too Many
tricky date

thanks 4 that,
there are no numbers on the rear of the button rivets but they have a rectangular indent that is sufficiently irregular in placement for me to assume that it was hand fed into whatever machine punch was used, which may or may not be an indicator of age, depending on the apparent oxidisation thereof.
It's lookin about 68 to me goin by the guidelines of that site, but even puttin that aside my instincts are that it just smells old and ah doan mean that in an olfactory sense if ya know what I mean, but without that label.; who'll ever know...maybe it's a keeper even tho it's just a bit on the large side, the last time I passed on a full set of these things I calculate I could have made a coupla grand so I might hang on this time just for the sake of it.

cherrypicker

New in Town
Its definitely a 557 third model jacket.To confirm,just check the re-enforcement stitching on the corners of the pockets,underneath the flaps.It is yellow on third models.There are various other tell-tale signs but that is the most obvious.The square on the back of the button is right too.If it was a repro there would be three numbers (555 us) or letter and numbers (j** japan).The earlier 507 jackets sometimes have a square on them too.

cherrypicker

New in Town
dr greg said:
It has indeed got the yellow reinforcement stitch, so it's the real thing, I dunno what it's worth tho, they seem to fluctuate wildly on OFAS, might be a keeper, although that means I gotta find the jeans to match......
I would say the value is 60-100% more than a later capital e jacket of a similar grade.As it is not the earlier 2 colour stitching,Iwould estimate it nearer the 60% end.I would suggest hanging on to it.They are only getting rarer,and if it's not eating anything......

dr greg

One Too Many
hanging around

It's more a case of something eating it! I've got a lot of clothes in wardrobes and mould is a big problem here in summer, especially now with all the floods we are having, my wife is pulling her hair out "not more jackets...aaaahhh!" etc, but hey, I only paid $A15 for it, so it stays I reckon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy