Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Trucker Jacket in Buffalo Leather

Radz108

One of the Regulars
According to my wife this is my early Father's Day Gift :p
I always liked the style of the Denim Truckers Jacket and loved the design of the Aero Type 3. Because of this, I was excited to see that Levi's came out with their iconic truckers jacket in Buffalo Leather. I know how robust and grainy Buffalo Leather can be so I was very interested in the jacket.

Recently, Levi's had a "30% off the entire store sale". So I bit the bullet and bought the jacket with a decent discount (original price was $400 cdn. I got it for $290 with taxes).

Basically, the Jacket is cut like a Levi's trucker jacket in denim and fits pretty true to size. I got the Small which measures 24in from the bottom of the collar to the hem, P2P 20.5in , arm length 25in, Shoulder width 17.75in and bottom hem width 17.75in. It has similar measurements to my Aero Ridley D Pocket just a little bit snugger fit than the Aero. I can wear a thin hoodie under it comfortably though.

The stitching is very clean, straight and uniform. The Lining is a thin sateen/polyester lining with no insulation. The leather seems to be of very good quality with a soft hand and distinct buffalo hide characteristic grain. It seems full grain in quality (there seems to be no correction in the leather and the grain characteristics are very random and not artificially uniform as seen in corrected leather.). The leather feels about mid weight (2-2.5oz). For the price I got it for, I think it is a very good deal.

Now to the pics...
_DSC7775.jpg
_DSC7780.jpg
_DSC7784.jpg
_DSC7788.jpg
_DSC7792.jpg
_DSC7797.jpg

Here are some close ups of the leather and grain...

_DSC7807.jpg
_DSC7808.jpg
_DSC7809.jpg
_DSC7811.jpg

Cheers :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It is a bit longer than standard but you wear it well. Buffalo is a great leather - I have a russet A-2 made from it - it's 30 years old, still in tip-top condition and the graining is amazing.

Hard to justify dropping a grand on a Type-3 when you see something like this. . .

I think it's absolutely perfect.
Levi's must've seriously upped their game, in both material and pattern. Well, their truckers have always been well made but the pattern was often a victim of a trend in fashion and it's been a long since I've seen one with a leather this nice. It's a really amazing, beautiful jacket. It doesn't seem too long at all. Proportions are perfect.

Mich486

One Too Many
I had the same in brown. The leather looks good in the pictures but man it felt flimsy to the touch (and I am not a heavy leather fanatic). But you wear it well and for the price probably impossible to do any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hh121

Banned
It's good looking for the price you paid, a little long in both sleeves and body. Of course there is no comparison to 1k jean jacket, unless you are crazy.
But somehow you made the jacket looks good.

Powerband

Practically Family
Looks great on you—a classic too! May I ask how tall you are?

Powerband

Practically Family
I’m 5’7” and 148lbs

Thanks! Well, I don’t live in Canada but I went on Levi’s website and it offered first-time buyers a 20% discount, which brought the jacket from $398 USD to $314. Good enough for me of a price since I’ve been slobbering every time I open the TFL “Leather Trucker Jacket” thread. Can’t wait to get it in three days (free delivery from Levi’s).

Thanks for brining this to our attention and especially for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
I had the same in brown. The leather looks good in the pictures but man it felt flimsy to the touch (and I am not a heavy leather fanatic). But you wear it well and for the price probably impossible to do any better.

I agree it is not as robust as CXL or even Vicenza in terms of thickness, but this version has some decent heft to it and is easier to wear right out of the box. The leather measures a bit over 1mm in thickness on the exposed edges. I feel CXL HH in about 3oz, Vicenza is about 2.5 to 3 oz, and this Buffalo is about 2oz. Interestingly, LEVI’s quietly made 2 versions of this for 2017-2018 season. The first version was with front buttons not snaps. The version I got is a later one with button snaps. I find the snaps easier to use than buttons. Also, I was able to compare the leather of version 1 with buttons and version 2 with snaps. Interestingly, from the samples I inspected, the version 2 jackets were noticeably made with thicker leather and had more heft compared to the version 1 jackets. From the 4 to 5 size small jackets at my local LEVI’s store, this particular jacket had the thickest leather feel to it. In addition, this jacket made the version 1 jackets feel flimsy and almost shirt like in terms of leather thickness.

Being as “anally retentive” as I am with leather jackets, I tried on several at the store and reviewed at least 7 to 8 samples before I finally picked this one. I bet the salesperson loved me:p

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Well, I don’t live in Canada but I went on Levi’s website and it offered first-time buyers a 20% discount, which brought the jacket from $398 USD to $314. Good enough for me of a price since I’ve been slobbering every time I open the TFL “Leather Trucker Jacket” thread. Can’t wait to get it in three days (free delivery from Levi’s).

Thanks for brining this to our attention and especially for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

If you can, make sure you get the version 2 with front snaps not buttons. The snaps version is their newer model and seems to have thicker leather compared to the version with buttons imo.

Powerband

Practically Family
If you can, make sure you get the version 2 with front snaps not buttons. The snaps version is their newer model and seems to have thicker leather compared to the version with buttons imo.

The pictures on their website show snaps, so I assume this is V2.

technovox

One Too Many
I bought one of these a few years back... the leather felt unusually thin for what one would expect from buffalo. And after doing some research, if I recall correctly, the hide is made from the water buffalo in India...not the plains buffalo one might imagine when one thinks of thick buffalo hide. (The jacket was also made India.) It would have been interesting to know if the India buffalo hides are veg tanned or chrome tanned. But ultimately, I ended up taking it back.... it just didn't feel or fit quite right on me. But it looks great on you! And at a good price point! Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points