Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis leather site updated!

Rufus

Practically Family
Lewis Leathers, who make classic British Motorcycling Gear have updated their website..check out the new Jackets section..so much easier to use and navigate!

Lewis's is a small company,run with a lot of love and attention to detail, and make all their gear here in the UK.. it's all beautiful made, and if you have any interest in old Rocker and Biker gear and culture.. check it out!

Their shop in London is well worth a visit, Derek, the owner is a really cool guy, and they have loads of old and new gear, memorabilia and posters..It's an amazing Alladin's cave of MC history!

I'm just about to order myself a new jacket!

;-) Ruf

http://www.lewisleathers.com/store/jackets/

Edward

Bartender
So which model did you go for - think I remember you mentioning a Lightening way back? Myself, I love the look of the Twin-Track Bronx..... maybe one day! Eventually, I have my eye on a Plainsman, with which to craft a screen-accurate Dr Frank'n'Furter jacket, but that's a long ways away yet.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I bet you ordered a Bronx?

Still more than happy with my lightning.

Just the jacket to don in the warm weather when out on the old Triumph.

I was going to ride to the shop for a pair of boots but they are out of stock.

James.

sammy

New in Town
I am considering ordering either the Super Phantom or the Monza. I want a short, waist/hip length, trim-fitting jacket. I also like the double side adjusters on these models. I think the jacket will go well with my Harley Nightster and Davida helmet.

James,
Can you describe the order process a bit? What measurements did you provide? Are you able to change certain details from the stock models? What is their customer service like? Thanks!

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
The new site looks great!

I broke down and ordered another jacket this morning....a standard Super Sportsman.

They will make changes to their standard jacket models if you request them. I have a Super Sportsman that I had the zip chest pocket eliminated and the zip handwarmer pockets changed to look like the ones on the Dominator.

P1000218.jpg

P1000220.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Sammy,

When I bought my jacket I made an appointment, (the shop had not opened at the time) tried on a couple of sizes on and took it home with me.

Derick was very helpful in helping me choose a size. I have had no problem with mine so I can’t comment on the after service only to say that after meeting him it seems he has the old school thinking of going out of his way to keep the customer happy.

Let us know how you get on.

Daniel, seems like Rufus has got us spending our way out of the recession!;) I plan to ‘pop’ in the shop this week, oh dear:eek: .

Hope you are pleased with your latest Lewis.

James.

taggers

New in Town
As good a place as any...

My old motorbike Jacket, too small, gravel rash, beer rot, and generally falling to bits, is a Rivetts "Highwayman". I love it to bits, and won't part with it, but what happened to Rivetts? Google draws a blank.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Rivetts is still in business and has stores in London (Leytonstone and Chiswick), Hull, Northampton (no surprise there) and Letchworth (remarkable coincidence!) They have a corporate website (www.rivetts.co.uk) but I always get the impression that they prefer to sell face-to-face. I like that. Unfortunately they have kept up with motorcycle clothing trends, which I don't like.

Two little-known facts:-
Rivetts once took an action against Aero for the use of the name Highwayman.
Rivetts used to make leathers for Belstaff.

I hope this helps.

taggers

New in Town
Thanks H. That's fantastic, they certainly aren't making the most of the internet revolution! And I lived on Bev Rd in Hull for years and never saw them!

Anyhoo. I had a proper look at my jacket. It might be nearly dead, but it's a hell of a thing. It's spot on, long-line, lancer-fronted jacket, leather about 4mm thick! Oh, and a purple cotton lining.

Sobering thought when you realise your teenage hand me downs are now proper "vintage"

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Called in the LL shop yesterday. It’s great!

We met and talked at length with Derick and Hiro the pattern cutter. Great chaps indeed.

They are always looking at new projects including 36 pattern flying boots which D Lewis used to make.
Also they are looking at waxed cotton and indeed they already had one in the shop. Derick showed me an old Lewis wax cotton coat which they are thinking of reproducing.
He explained the problems of reproducing zips; they have to order a minimum of thousands.

Just happened to have a pair of Westway boots in my size so I bought them! And some cool LL T shirts.

It’s a great place to visit and they are happy to spend time just talking about old jackets, boots and even motorbikes. Good to meet people who are clearly passionate about their work.

Good luck to them.

So Rufus, which jacket are you going to order?

James.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Their turn around time on orders is amazing as well....

I've ordered two jackets from them and I didn't wait more than a week for either one. The jackets weren't off the rack, they were made to my measurements!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Lewis Sportsman

I'm lucky (also exercise a lot calisthenics) that I am fit build at 125 lbs. My disadvantage is that i am only 5'5" in height, barely. As a result, LL Sportsman size 38 without any modifications is perfect for me for an all around jacket because of its standard length.
Question I have is that LL has many models that are listed as longer length. I am afraid that it would not accomodate my rather short stature. Anyone with input on this? I want to see if I can get one of their more complex tailored models like the Super Monza or Europa in leather that is more accomodating to the super hot temps found here in California, White perhaps!
I just purchased a Sportsman here in California U.S.A. and boy what a jacket!! You simply don't find this kind of perfection around these days. All the best to LL.

Edward

Bartender
I think you might be looking for a different hide rather than colour chocie if heat is the issue.... I did read reports some years ago of a scientific study in which they disproved the myth that darker colours attract heat white lighter colours reflect it - don'tg recall the details, but they were very clear that any perceived effect of white being cooler than an otherwise identical garment in black were entirely psychosummatical. [huh] The drawback with a lighter hide such as lamb is, of course, that it won't protect you much in a spill.... Aero have a jacket in deer hide which they advertise as 'Summer weight', claiming it to be very light but at the same time strong. Can't comment myself, never having handled one. Beyond a certain level of heat you're probably best off looking into one of the concealed-armour denim options on the market, but insofar as leather is bearable I would be looking to minimise heat by opting for the lightest liner possible. Again, this is received wisdom rather than the result of years of personal experience, but I am given to understand that the lining actually makes more difference to the heat than the hide itself.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Interesting points Edward

Interesting points Edward, I will research further. No doubt color alone will not suffice in heat, the material must reflect infrared spectrum, these are the wavelengths of heat. Nevertheless, I was going off my experience with auto paints, and a black car will heat much faster than a white one, but interior temps will reach a similar, if not the same temp peaks over time as the greenhouse effect takes place and stores heat within an enclosed vehicle cabin. I am concerned about heat, no doubt. BMW Motorrad has a new fabric type that repels heat, even on their dark jackets. There are definitely many factors that play into how heated a jacket is. I need to verify if a white LL jacket is actually cooler for the wearer under the beating sun.
Thanks for your input and experience, this is interesting :)

BTW I emailed LL regarding the Super Monza in White standard size 38, no response, are they open on Mondays? Thanks.

Edward

Bartender
P5640blouson said:
Interesting points Edward, I will research further. No doubt color alone will not suffice in heat, the material must reflect infrared spectrum, these are the wavelengths of heat. Nevertheless, I was going off my experience with auto paints, and a black car will heat much faster than a white one, but interior temps will reach a similar, if not the same temp peaks over time as the greenhouse effect takes place and stores heat within an enclosed vehicle cabin. I am concerned about heat, no doubt. BMW Motorrad has a new fabric type that repels heat, even on their dark jackets. There are definitely many factors that play into how heated a jacket is. I need to verify if a white LL jacket is actually cooler for the wearer under the beating sun.
Thanks for your input and experience, this is interesting :)

BTW I emailed LL regarding the Super Monza in White standard size 38, no response, are they open on Mondays? Thanks.

You've got me thinking now.... I wonder what fabrics they used in the study I read about.... Somebody on here mentioned a different experiment a while back which proved that vintage spec arctic gear was as effective as the modern, synthetic stuff - i wonder whether similar comparisons have ben done between vintage motorcyce gear and modern? Of course, there is an obvious difference: while the arctic climate hasnt changed that much, bikes certainly have so the old gear and the new werent designe to solve the same problem as such....

sammy

New in Town
I will be in London in October and plan to visit LL to get fitted for a custom jacket and perhaps a pair of Westway boots. I'm debating between the Monza and the Super Phantom. Anyone own either of these models? Im leaning towards the Super Phantom b/c it would be easier to wear as a casual jacket when not riding compared to the Monza's lancer zip front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana