Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers jacket

John Warr

Familiar Face
We just had this land on our work bench. The owner has had it since the early 1970s (he took it in exchange for a top-end rebuild on a Norton Dominator). It is in fabulous condition. The zip is a 2-way Clix (and looks original) but the pocket zips are all 5 ball Lightnings. The sleeve linings have gone at the cuffs and the snap back elastics have failed (as they do). There used to be a good site for dating & identifying Lewis kit but I am damned if I can find it. Anyone either know the one I mean or care to put a style & date on it for me ? I assume from the hardware mix that it may be very late 1960s. If the link is flaky, cut & paste into your browser.

Odds%20&%20Sods.htm

John Warr

Familiar Face
Thanks
Your Bronx jacket dates to the very late 1960s/early 1970s. The label with Aviakit in black and the Clix main zip indicate this date. You might find this link helpful.

https://www.lewisleathers.com/About-Our-Jackets.html

Thanks Andy, the date is as I thought - just as the Lightning supply dried up. Strange that the Clix zip is two-way. The jacket is simply not long enough to need that feature. I am convinced that I once found a web page with good pictures of vintage jackets - probably belonging to a collector. But find it, look as I may, I can not. :-(
When did the sleeve pocket appear ? Any idea ?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Probably the most desirable(these days) of old Lewis leathers jackets in my opinion. Not too fussy or with to many zips. i had one for riding, never wore it un done as the hanging belt looks sloppy. The replica's made at Lewis these days do not have the big metal quick release buckle. My mate Nigel of Hi Star sells good originals on his site.

robrinay

One Too Many
Lewis Leathers are very approachable and will answer your questions if you email them from their main site or message them from their Facebook site. They identified a couple of jackets I picked up, including one missing its labels and also sent me pics from their archived sales brochures.

Edward

Bartender
When did the sleeve pocket appear ? Any idea ?

According to information on the Lewis site, 1962.

Probably the most desirable(these days) of old Lewis leathers jackets in my opinion. Not too fussy or with to many zips. i had one for riding, never wore it un done as the hanging belt looks sloppy. The replica's made at Lewis these days do not have the big metal quick release buckle. My mate Nigel of Hi Star sells good originals on his site.

Have you seen any of Nigel's own repop jackets on his website? I know nothing more about them, but they do look nice.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
I recently acquired a 60's Bronx jacket that's missing the buckle. I contacted Nigel at Hi Star and he doesn't have any. Lewis Leathers will sell me a current one. Anyone?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Have you seen any of Nigel's own repop jackets on his website? I know nothing more about them, but they do look nice.
Another friend had one, not quite as good as the originals but a very good copy for the price. Not checked his site for a while but they look ok and are what they are , basic motorbike jackets in a 60s style. I would have one but don't want one but only because I am not really into that look now.

I recently acquired a 60's Bronx jacket that's missing the buckle. I contacted Nigel at Hi Star and he doesn't have any. Lewis Leathers will sell me a current one. Anyone?
Leather covered type. Derrick told me he needed an order for around 10,000 to get them at a reasonable price and that was not really feasible. You really need a picture of what he has. I can't remember on what they look like, a simple pull through I believe but you can't see it anyway once the jacket is done up.
Cheers, J.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Check the stock at Abbey Leather or a similar Saddlery stockist it's almost certIn someone still makes that type of fastener.
http://abbeyengland.com/Store/CategoryID/351/catpageindex/2/Level/a/ProductID/68576
The 3 bar fastener that comes up on the link is not the original style attached to the old Bronx jacket. It is quite an elaborate and substantial piece of plated nickel.
Not the greatest picture of a buckle but here is my old jacket(Lewis Bronx). Look at the buckle at the waist belt, all the metal parts are part of the buckle as a single item(I maybe wrong but thats my memory for you)
I cannot find any more pics on the net, maybe if Andrew has the same buckle(he has a twin track jacket) he could post a picture of this part.

P1230017.jpg

Beware of imitations. There are a lot of knackered old Lewis's that have sacrificed their metal wear and patches to be sewn onto poorer quality items on the dreaded *Bay, particularly the 'Lewis Leathers' patch. This old jacket cost me £4, has the red sailcloth lining and grey tape ball zips. A good quality jacket no longer available at your local boot sale(where I bought this) unless you get there really early and hassle the vendors.
J

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a few more pictures of my twin track Bronx no. 440. The jacket was premiered at the Brighton Bike show in the autumn of 1965 and was on sale from 1966. This jacket was made before the patent was approved and has “patent applied for” stamped on the label, making it very rare. It is in superb condition and is totally original. The main zip is a Lightning. It has seven pockets, including an inside wallet pocket and a coin pocket on the sleeve. I particularly like the coin/key pocket on the left sleeve. The leather is full of grain. It is tagged a 42, but fits bigger.

Last edited:

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's the jacket in question. This is my first experience with Lewis Leathers, you see on this side of the pond it's pretty much Schott in this realm and I was SHOT out a long time ago (couldn't resist the pun). So I didn't know what I was looking for until I saw the bottom picture on the web. Andrew, where on earth am I going to find that buckle!
13b110cd6bdf1b13aed198d46d819c60.jpg
040f2dcf4bb18ba72134db7e4310ea8d.jpg
921b7f44c4b24e7741aa2c5c345dab58.jpg
83cfeadd5530e291fb260ed700fcfaa9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here is mine from my 1965 Twin track Bronx.

Thanks for posting that, no one usually posts pics of the details. I think the leather was all worn off my quick release slider. The part on Andrews jacket at the right of the pic is the part Lewis cannot get reasonably priced, it is either stainless or nickel.
My jacket went years ago as it was around a 50" and looked ridiculous on me.
I do believe with chats with various sellers of these that in Japan and the far east, where the majority appear to end up, big sizes are not as pricy as the medium sizes as Japanese are of a smaller stature than European, but helmets can be the opposite.

If anyone comes across a source of those buckles (even at a not-so-reasonable price) I think I would have half a dozen.
Nice and easy to undo but I still think the buckles looked sloppy when left undone and hanging.

mitchell jarvis

New in Town
The 3 bar fastener that comes up on the link is not the original style attached to the old Bronx jacket. It is quite an elaborate and substantial piece of plated nickel.
Not the greatest picture of a buckle but here is my old jacket(Lewis Bronx). Look at the buckle at the waist belt, all the metal parts are part of the buckle as a single item(I maybe wrong but thats my memory for you)
I cannot find any more pics on the net, maybe if Andrew has the same buckle(he has a twin track jacket) he could post a picture of this part.

P1230017.jpg

Beware of imitations. There are a lot of knackered old Lewis's that have sacrificed their metal wear and patches to be sewn onto poorer quality items on the dreaded *Bay, particularly the 'Lewis Leathers' patch. This old jacket cost me £4, has the red sailcloth lining and grey tape ball zips. A good quality jacket no longer available at your local boot sale(where I bought this) unless you get there really early and hassle the vendors.
J
Does anyone know what leather the original Lewis leathers were made from? The current ones are terrible!

Edward

Bartender
Originals were sheepskin (from mature sheep, not lamb) and, I think, they also did cowhide. Currently they seem to be offering the sheepskin or a somewhat chunkier horsehide. Orignials always were lightish jackets, though: at least pre 1970ish, in my experience having handled a lot of originals, a hefty British bike leather jacket was unusual. I remember when I first handled Lewises, both vintage and new, I was surprised at how light they were compared to the bike leathers I was used to. It's not the most armour-like stuff, though plenty of original Lewises have survived so it doesn't seem all that fragile either. Like a lot of companies their QC seems to have had rather liberal tolerances during much of the 70s, but otherwise, pretty consistent. If you're looking for something that wears like Horween FQHH, a Lewis probaly isn't going to be for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points