Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Memphis Jacket No. 723

I actually love the contrasting tape! It has a very distinct look for sure but it feels very vintage to me. Belt is cool too! I'd definitely wear this.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jacket. The brown/tan tape gives the illusion that the black has an undertone of brown, although the soft cotton tape may not last very long. Just my preliminary experience from this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
Looks nice to me but I think I still prefer the Cyclone over this one.

Imho the contrasting zipper tape looks incredibly good on LL jackets due to the fact that there aren’t the two strips of leather covering it (at least on main zipper and sleeves). I can’t see how this will make them weaker though? Clix zippers seem pretty robust to me.

Contrasting zipper tape has been particularly popular with European makers, often seen on UK and German jackets. It's been LL's trademark of a sort but many US makers did it too. I know that Buco's always been fond of the combo. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but personally, I absolutely love it, especially with brass hardware. Can't imagine I'd ever buy another custom black jacket without contrasting tape.

Old Clix zippers are tough and work incredibly well. Don't know how they compare to the ones LL is using nowadays, though but there's no sign of the cotton tape being eaten away on my 50-something years old Phantom.

Mich486

One Too Many
Looking at my jacket I believe the tape is a cotton/poly mix (nod to Trenchfriend) so quite standard on modern jackets. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry at all.

regius

Good to know! It’s just my initial experience at the store, but if long time owners say so I’ll take the words.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Good to know! It’s just my initial experience at the store, but if long time owners say so I’ll take the words.

I have had mine since 2013 and it is still going strong.
No fraying, no wear, a perfectly good zipper IMO.

SimonR

One of the Regulars
Does anyone own this in a 42" ... I'm wondering what the pit to pit is as I really like it has a good tapered waist rather than the all too common oversize opening many makers seem to turn out now

Aloysius

Usually I'm not one for necroposting, but since this is the Memphis thread, it seemed appropriate.

I was browsing Lewis's site and I noticed that the jacket is now offered in every leather option. I remember @Monitor mentioning once that it was the horsehide-only requirement that kept him from ordering, which I assume is the case for others too, so let it be known. Sheep Memphis jackets now exist!

Back in the day, they'd only do Memphis in their then-new Horsehide & @Carlos840 didn't have too high of an opinion about it & I'm glad I listened. Not because LL's horsehide is bad - It isn't! - but because I vastly prefer their veg. tanned cow & especially sheepskin. Even though the up-charge is insane. But horse is very nice, as well. Something in-between Schott's horsehide and CXL.

I tried Memphis in LL's store and loved it but I'm not sure whether it was the slim-fit variant or the regular version. Though Western would still be my primary choice right now.

Aloysius

I tried Memphis in LL's store and loved it but I'm not sure whether it was the slim-fit variant or the regular version. Though Western would still be my primary choice right now.

I quite like the Western, but it lost my interest because it’s not Lewis enough, if that makes sense. I get why someone in England in the 70s would get it, because it was a domestic option for something like that. But now we can access jackets from everywhere and so many makes have a great leather Type III.

If I wanted to go Western with Lewis, it would be either the Plainsman (which looks better to me than the nigh-identical Aero Virginian, which I think comes down to the shine in the Lewis hide that really makes the fringe pop) or balls-to-the-wall with a fringed Lightning, like that Taiwanese guy special ordered.

Schott has a really stunning fringed Perfecto, but only for women, and it seems like it’ll be discontinued because it’s on sale for half price on their site. A real shame. The western look has lost its luster with people now I guess.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I am tempted by a black sheep Memphis now….with the contrasting zip tape….will investigate further with a trip to the store asap….

newtojackets

Practically Family
Back in the day, they'd only do Memphis in their then-new Horsehide & @Carlos840 didn't have too high of an opinion about it & I'm glad I listened. Not because LL's horsehide is bad - It isn't! - but because I vastly prefer their veg. tanned cow & especially sheepskin. Even though the up-charge is insane. But horse is very nice, as well. Something in-between Schott's horsehide and CXL.

The veg. tanned cow is gorgeous, but agreed the mark up is crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points