Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Librarians?

TheLibrarian

New in Town
I notice there seem to be an awful lot of folks around here who work in libraries, or around libraries, or have something to do with libraries, and it got me wondering...

How many of us are there in the Lounge?

I'm the director of a public library, by the way. Although I used to be a preservation archivist until something went horribly wrong.

Argee

One of the Regulars
Well, I have a Masters in Information Science. So I'm either a Librarian or Archivist depending on the project I'm working on.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Even though I am a computer systems manager, I have a degree in Applied History, and volunteer at county historical society in the library and archives. We help patrons with research (usually genealogical or school projects on local history) and will do research on request.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Librarians are hot. "that's right....I said it!"
Librarian.jpg

slc

Familiar Face
I'm an engineer at work, but at home I maintain a 3200-volume library. We are a home-school family that loves to read. Most of our collection are classic works of fiction, vintage books from 1900-1960s, reprints of titles from 18th-19th centuries, biographies, and history books. I don't think I'll ever buy a Kindle: there's nothing like holding a real paper volume in your hands.

Hercule

Practically Family

To briefly elaborate: Have an earned PhD (and believe you me it was EARNED!) in my field and am working as a college librarian - read: consolation carreer. Actually its an ideal situation, I publish more than the faculty, occasionally get some sabbatical replacement teaching, and don't have all the committee and advising baggage that faculty have. Can be a bit aggravating at times as the students tend to treat librarians like crap, afterall, what do I know?

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I notice there seem to be an awful lot of folks around here who work in libraries, or around libraries, or have something to do with libraries, and it got me wondering...

I keep a running bar tab at my local library; including several books
late fined that I borrowed for research after I had donated them....:eek:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. Only one female so far. (I care because I've considered a career in archive work - may try fr one yet - and because I like poking people's gender stereotypes now and then.)

Are there really so few females in the profession who are into vintage style? Could it be that male librarians are just more likely to be stylish individuals than female ones? Why? Is librarianship perhaps gender-transgressive for both sexes?

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Are there really so few females in the profession who are into vintage style?

I certainly haven't seen many at the various conferences I've been to lately. I'm not sure that dressing up to any degree is popular among female librarians-- my coworkers tend to wear khakis, knit pullovers, and Dansko clogs. Given that most of the conferences I attend are geared toward the tech crowd, the dress code there is even less dressy. I pretty regularly get comments at work for being "dressed up", eve if I'm only wearing "collegiate" (plaid skirt, blouse, cardigan, saddle shoes).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The question is whether their dress is mostly practical, or mostly from some self-image that goes with the profession and its quiet, self-effacing, even repressive ethos.

Let's go from vintage style to just style, and contrast women LIS professionals with women academics in general, whose style is not overwhelmingly dull.

Last edited:

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Academic, and I do some ERM/Ref/tech/grant writing. Small faculty, so we aren't too heavily specialized. 9 librarians, 14 staff, 4000 students.

There have been many librarians as members of the Lounge over the years, but like anything, their interests ebb and flow, and there are many who aren't really active now.

TheLibrarian

New in Town
The question is whether their dress is mostly practical, or mostly from some self-image that goes with the profession and its quiet, self-effacing, even repressive ethos.

Let's go from vintage style to just style, and contrast women LIS professionals with women academics in general, whose style is not overwhelmingly dull.

I represent my library system to the public. As such, I have to balance style (as in self-expression) with not alienating the government officials or the public who fund us. A lot of suits, mostly skirts, and nothing too flashy or short. That said, I don't think I can be classified as "overwhelmingly dull" (and if Nathan has a differing opinion I don't want to hear it :p ).

As for vintage at conferences - do you have any idea how much luggage I would need if I were bringing vintage clothing and accessories? When I travel for classic car tours I carry at least one hat box and sometimes two or three in addition to my luggage. The checked baggage fees for those would be astronomical! And besides, it's really hard to see what the presenter is going on about or make your way through the exhibits in a proper hat...

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Oy! Over here!
A female librarian-who'd have thunk it:)

On the one hand, I don't work around the public, and jeans are considered perfectly acceptable. And my budget is grateful. BUT. I work in a warehouse, and closed toed shoes are a requirement. That and an ability to watch out for forklifts. I can do vintage hair, hat, and makeup- but doing the clothes would be to take my life in my hands. That and I spend a small part of each day shoving 30-50lb. totes around. Dusty, dirty totes. My clothes don't deserve that!

I work for a major book distributor. If your library outsources its cataloging, it might be to us. Aside from day-to-day stuff (new books- meoww!) I'm currently working on our policy in regard to the 300 field in MARC cataloging. Precisely what kinds of materials deserve a subfield "e", and should there be a 500 note because of it? This was preceded by an hour long "discussion" as to whether sepia illustrations should be considered "color". While the conversation became heated, no duels were threatened, but it was a close thing. No, sepia is not color, and I was COMPLETELY supported in this by both LCRI, AACR2, and Maxwell. What RDA will eventually say is not yet under consideration. :)

I have given consideration to going with a full-on "Rosie the Riveter" look. Still wondering if that would REALLY get me talked about. Simply wearing lipstick makes me fashion worthy in the warehouse!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana