Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lileks does the 30s!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Many of you may be familiar with James Lileks' passion for 20th century culture and his rare ability to comment on it in a way that's at once loving, irreverent, and hip (as well as frequently hilarious).

Well, there's good news tonight. Lileks has just added a new area to his extensive website that's dedicated exclusively to the 30s. It's about time.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Great extension! Love the 1934 Sears catalog (and the comments).
"Yes, Old Man Depression had certainly sucked the life and brio out of society, hadn't it?" - said in response to a color page of brilliant shades and patterns.

I've been telling people this for years. No one listens, of course; it's all just an unpleasant economics lesson to most of us.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And what, exactly, was Buckskein?
4282755663_9a291bb7c1.jpg

And why does Lileks insist on calling it Buckstein?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Buck Skein

(aka Buckskein) was a sueded cotton fabric, probably similar to moleskin.
It was sometimes (but not always) double-layered, with DuPont waterproofing process applied between the layers.
Buck Skein and "Buck Skein Joe," the eponymous sportsman, were tradenames of Lustberg, Nast & Co., 212 Fifth Ave., New York. (Hmm, maybe that's where "Buckstein" snuck in.)
4285762528_d4e9dd747b_o.png
Popular Science, Nov., 1935.
4285048437_4dd031a314.jpg
Japanese vintage vendor, present day. Listed as "Buckskein Moleskin." Ah, so I was right.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a shoe horse, but I'd buy a few those pairs even though my feet are more bony than "fleshy."

As for the kitchens... :eek: Imagine illuminating 1970s colors with blinding Colorado sunshine coming through a glass block wall. I'd do a lot of eating out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk