1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Lileks does the 30s!

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Fletch, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Many of you may be familiar with James Lileks' passion for 20th century culture and his rare ability to comment on it in a way that's at once loving, irreverent, and hip (as well as frequently hilarious).

Well, there's good news tonight. Lileks has just added a new area to his extensive website that's dedicated exclusively to the 30s. It's about time.

2. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Thanks for the heads up. Lileks is great!

3. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

"Yes, Old Man Depression had certainly sucked the life and brio out of society, hadn't it?" - said in response to a color page of brilliant shades and patterns.

I've been telling people this for years. No one listens, of course; it's all just an unpleasant economics lesson to most of us.

4. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

And what, exactly, was Buckskein?
    [​IMG]
    And why does Lileks insist on calling it Buckstein?

5. Miss 1929

Miss 1929 My Mail is Forwarded Here

That was a solid hour of my life lost to chuckles...

6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

As it happens, the shoes I'm wearing right now are pretty much exactly the same as the sensible Goodyear Welts he scoffs at. And they're *very* comfortable. So there, smart guy.

7. matrioshka

matrioshka One of the Regulars

The "Forgotten Hooch" section is a hoot.

M

8. Atterbury Dodd

Atterbury Dodd One Too Many

Short and fat lol

[​IMG]

9. Avalon

Avalon A-List Customer

Lileks is brilliant! I loved his "Gallery of Regrettable Food" so much I have it in hard copy. lol

10. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Buck Skein

(aka Buckskein) was a sueded cotton fabric, probably similar to moleskin.
    It was sometimes (but not always) double-layered, with DuPont waterproofing process applied between the layers.
    Buck Skein and "Buck Skein Joe," the eponymous sportsman, were tradenames of Lustberg, Nast & Co., 212 Fifth Ave., New York. (Hmm, maybe that's where "Buckstein" snuck in.)
    [​IMG] Popular Science, Nov., 1935.
    [​IMG]Japanese vintage vendor, present day. Listed as "Buckskein Moleskin." Ah, so I was right.

11. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I'm not a shoe horse, but I'd buy a few those pairs even though my feet are more bony than "fleshy."

As for the kitchens... :eek: Imagine illuminating 1970s colors with blinding Colorado sunshine coming through a glass block wall. I'd do a lot of eating out.

12. anon`

anon` One Too Many

Oh, reading this at work was not a good idea!