Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liners in Panamas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh

Deported
I have queried Master Hatter Milton Johnson of Montecristi Custom Hats about liners.

They provide a protection to the hat from your hair, the rough inside snagging your hair, condensates collect on the liner not the inside of the hat body, etc. Try a hat by Milton and see the top of the line.

Bye the bye.. I was informed that some guys from this forum contacted Milton to find out who I am. What, a bunch of tough guys guna come beat me up for not seeing it your way? Get a life. We are talking hats here.

See ya

Sergei

Gone Home
Well I guess you showed all of us up. I'm speechless. I finally realized I am a ....

Back to the topic of liners... I bought an Akubra Snowy River from hatsdirect. The beautiful hat came without a liner. I sent an email over to Ron at Hatsdirect, asking why hats like a Snowy River would ship without a liner. His response was, hey mate, it's get bloody hot down here and the cattle drovers need protection from the sun and a bloody liner acts like sauna on your head. Well, I didn't argue with him. I later had Baron Hats of California put one on for me. I can certainly agree that my Snowy River burns very hot while in the sun, thus rendering it almost unwearable. I would say that putting in a liner (except for a mesh) in a straw hat, so that the qualities of good breeze is denied, well .... but I am just a ...., what do I know.

-Sergei

jrh

Deported
A mesh liner of much looser weave then the hat body is used in a Panama. Not nylon or silk. That would be stupid.

I have two Akubra's in the Heritage line. One the Snowy River style. Both came lined. Does Akubra make-up hats differently for the US market? Or is it only the Heritage line (see davidmorgan.com)

Hear Surgei happy to see ya got the notion of a mesh liner. Glad ya edited it after my rebuttle (check out the posting dates and edit dates).

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Direct quote from Mr. Johnson

Which is it, a good loyal customer, or is someone lying?

"So keep me informed if you like but I still don't know what the hell you are talking about nor do I know who JRH is"

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Dubious, no.

I thought he should know, as a gentleman, that there are buyers of his hats on here who might get sick of a vulgar and petty man attacking other sellers of Montecristi hats. He might lose sales being associated with such...ask him.

jrh

Deported
Avoid thinking

Hey, don't bother Milton he is finishing up my new hat and has no time for this nonsense. I'll be sure to post pictures, lining and all.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I would love to see pictures. That's why we're all here, to share a love of the Golden Era, and our hats.

I just hope that when you do get your hat, you are still able to post.

Cheers

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK

I have stood by and I am .....

Why are you so new to this forum and so hostile? This should be about making friends, not making enemies.

I don't care about vendors...or what anyone thinks about suppliers, blah blah blah.....

Whenever I have been new to a web site, discussion group, or coctail party, new work location...etc.

I kept my two ears open and my one mouth shut.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by jrh
makin' it personal Mr Z.

He's asking you to not be so hostile towards everybody else. As you said in another thread today, there is still free speech in this country. However, your right to free speech is not protected here. If you use foul, abusive language, and are just a malcontent in general, you will eventually be censored by the Men that run the forum.

All of us that post here take pride in the fact that this is a place we can come and talk about our hobbies, without abusive language, or problems from folks that seek to treat others badly. You have the opportunity to become a valued member of the forum, but you have to change both your demanor and behavior.

Cheers

jrh

Deported
Free speech ... you take it away? Wow!! That's the view of Mr. Z . It's that tone Mr. Z ...holly then thou.

Hostile...that's your perspective. I state my opinion and get attacked and rebut.

This forum is this forum. It ain't nothin' more then that without open discussion and respect for others views.

Hey this started with Panama Bob who uses this forum as free advertising and bashing other hatters. When he is questioned he shows his nasty side...emails me and calls third parties to find out who I am.

Hey, the boys comin' to get me yet? Give me a clue. Do they wear brown shirts?

What next burning books and witches.

Tomorrow when I try to log back on we will see what this forum's integrity is about.

Mr Z keep cool... its only hats.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Number one, I question pricing in comparison to how the weavers live. I've never bashed anyone on their hats.

Number two, I haven't called anyone. Email does the trick, I have a paper trail, and it doesn't cost as much.

Number three, why haven't the big dogs of the Montecristi trade come to their own defense regarding ultimate pricing...while Montecristi gets water every 4 days. I've personally been to one place where two Americans who make their living with Ecuadorians have put in potable water systems...and soon will be another.

Number four, I've never called myself a hatter...these guys know that. I tell them our blocking is not up to the other guys...they know that.

Number five, I've tried slowly to gain trust and show the product. Those that have them know that the quality goes right along with the pricing....for which we are quite happy with our profit margins, which, BTW, could be a whole lot more.

Number six, I don't think you know very much about Montecristi other than what you know about the hats you have and what you are told by the guys who sell them.

Number seven, I do not use this forum as free advertising. I wanted another avenue to make connections, find a hatblocker in the US (and the few I have talked to can't believe the prices they've been paying for their hats over the years), and possibly increase business through fair trade.

Number eight, I believe that with all the hype of these dying off weavers the best way to keep the hats going is to keep the weavers weaving...not making it incredibly hard for the everyday man to own a real Montecristi.

Number nine, I wanted Milton Johnson to know that he could possibly lose sales here. Someone who seems to know him well spouting off about liners, hat grades, etc. with an intent to smash and run off at the mouth while infuriating others in a relatively calm place where people feed off of each other.

No more for you.

Enjoy the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto