Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquid Latex Spill!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I spilt a small amount of liquid latex onto a black cotton skirt. I threw it straight into the washing machine but it didn't come out. It's right in the weave of the cotton rather than sitting on the surface. Anybody got any tips on how I might be able to get it out?

Hestia

Familiar Face
Freeze it?

Perhaps try putting the skirt in the freezer- this works with wax, you freeze it and then it is easier to pick out of the fibers when it is very cold and brittle. It sort of just crumbles out, which might work with the latex too. Worth a shot.

Eyemo

Practically Family
My Brother (he was making a mask for a school project) spilled two gallons of the stuff in his bedroom...ran down the walls into the living room...That stuff took a while to get out too!!:eusa_doh: lol :eek:fftopic:

in fact we had to re-decorate

Bugsy

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
I spilt a small amount of liquid latex onto a black cotton skirt. I threw it straight into the washing machine but it didn't come out. It's right in the weave of the cotton rather than sitting on the surface. Anybody got any tips on how I might be able to get it out?

I've worked with liquid latex a lot, and I'm afraid your skirt is going to have the scar for a long time. :eusa_doh: There might have been a chance when it was damp to hit the spot with ammonia. I believe water sets the stuff. I'm assuming the latex you were using was pretty much the same formular I use. FYI, it's murder if you get in your hair or eyebrows.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I've never worked with liquid latex, but I know a little bit about the nature of some materials. You could try baby oil. Mineral oils and petroleum products break down many rubbers, this is why it is a no-no to use with one of the most common uses of latex.. ;)
I make no promises, but it might be worth a shot.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You could try the old fail safe of trying to iron it out like you would if you had spilt candle wax. Cut a brown paper bag to the correct size place one piece under the spill one on the top and iron away.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I don't know about latex but I used to work with silicone. I still have some old work jeans and shirts with rubbery spots and it has been about 3 years. I think once it gets in between the fibers and sets, it's there for good.

Edward

Bartender
Hestia said:
Perhaps try putting the skirt in the freezer- this works with wax, you freeze it and then it is easier to pick out of the fibers when it is very cold and brittle. It sort of just crumbles out, which might work with the latex too. Worth a shot.

I'd give this a shot. I've had great results doing this or even - for more minor spots - rubbing an ice cube on clothes that have gotten chewing gum stuck to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112