Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in the past

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What style - A pocket square and an ascot!

untitled.jpg

I would just love to see his house.

Last edited:

William Stratford

A-List Customer
He has some rather nice things, but.....

....isnt this just as much being an exclusivist conspicuous consumer as anyone today with several Porsches/Ferraris, Armani suits etc? Does that fact that it is vintage make it different? :confused:

th_Smiley-hiding-behind-couch.gif

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Good article. He seems to be a man of fairly ordinary means who chooses to live in an interesting way . . . sort of an artist in his own right, over and above his music, much unlike the stereotypical guy with two Porsches, methinks

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I didn't read the article all that carefully, but as I recall there was no mention of children. Also, I got the impression that he lived in a cheap flat in Brooklyn (I have to admit that I don't really know all that much about Brooklyn). So he has a certain amount of income to spend on toys, although perhaps not necessarily all that much. IIRC, his daily driver is a 66 Plymouth Fury, which lacks only a turret-mounted gun on the roof and has very little else going for it (I remember when these were new!). It's not like he has a Packard, a Pierce Arrow, and a Speed-Six Bentley, and lives in a grand Art Deco place in NYC. My guess is that many of the older people who post here could easily afford his collection of vintage items, rather than only the very rich among us. But it's just a guess, of course. By the way, Mr. Stratford and Ms. Maine, I enjoy your contributions to the forum very much.
Best regards -- Angus

Edward

Bartender
....isnt this just as much being an exclusivist conspicuous consumer as anyone today with several Porsches/Ferraris, Armani suits etc? Does that fact that it is vintage make it different? :confused:

Arguably.. but with taste. If I had the money, I'd live the same way - who wouldn't? Man has things he likes, and can afford them. Within reason, I say good for him.

There's a working dance-band musician in the modern era who can afford seven vintage cars? That's the most astounding part of the story.

lol Agreed! I've known a lot of musicians really struggle over the years.

I didn't read the article all that carefully, but as I recall there was no mention of children. Also, I got the impression that he lived in a cheap flat in Brooklyn (I have to admit that I don't really know all that much about Brooklyn).

Could be - I hear kids cost thousands to run - on an annual basis.

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Arguably.. but with taste. If I had the money, I'd live the same way - who wouldn't? Man has things he likes, and can afford them. Within reason, I say good for him.

Taste yes, but it irks me a little when this is presented as the "vintage" life, because all that it seems is consumerism just with "old stuff". [huh] So, basically just like the modern world, which I think is missing the point (unless people are only playing "dress up"). :confused:

As for whether I would live the same, I can honestly say no I do not think that I would - his behaviour sounds like that of a lottery winner overloaded with the potential to buy... Would I like to drive a vintage car and bedeck my house in vintage style? Certainly, but not as some kind of status symbol reminiscent of the behaviour that was more to do with the losing of old ways as keeping them. To me it isnt about buying expensive old things, its about owning and looking after old things that speak of older ways, whilst he reminds me of the "bright young thing" upperclass generation who frittered their parents wealth in (sorry to use the phrase again) conspicuous consumption.

It would have been nice to see instead an article about someone who loves the totality of older ways, rather than someone playing dressup in their grandfathers clothes. :eek: :)

Last edited:

William Stratford

A-List Customer
I didn't read the article all that carefully, but as I recall there was no mention of children. Also, I got the impression that he lived in a cheap flat in Brooklyn (I have to admit that I don't really know all that much about Brooklyn). So he has a certain amount of income to spend on toys, although perhaps not necessarily all that much. IIRC, his daily driver is a 66 Plymouth Fury, which lacks only a turret-mounted gun on the roof and has very little else going for it (I remember when these were new!). It's not like he has a Packard, a Pierce Arrow, and a Speed-Six Bentley, and lives in a grand Art Deco place in NYC. My guess is that many of the older people who post here could easily afford his collection of vintage items, rather than only the very rich among us. But it's just a guess, of course. By the way, Mr. Stratford and Ms. Maine, I enjoy your contributions to the forum very much.
Best regards -- Angus

That is generous of you to say, thankyou :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
He has some rather nice things, but.....

I think the difference is that his vehicles and clothes are not fresh off the assembly line, but are quite old.

He's more of a conserver than a consumer in my book

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112