locations of good hat stores?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by raw shark, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Jel

Jel New in Town

Ooh! That was fast. Awesome! Will look this up, cheers!

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Well, Akron is a once in a lifetime experience.

If you're lucky.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3. Jel

Jel New in Town

[emoji28]

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Isn't the automobile tire museum there? Granted not the RocknRoll Hall of Fame but its something

Jel likes this.
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Appears to have closed in 2009.

But they do have Mr. Hero. Mmmmm...Roman Burgers!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

belfastboy and Jel like this.
  6. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

If you're near Columbus, do stop in at the (Paul A. Johnson) Pencil Sharpener Museum.

7. Jel

Jel New in Town

Can anyone please advice what's the price range in Paul's Hat Works? Anything higher than 500usd my 3 kids will kill me.

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

felt hats are $600 plus I believe. But they may have different options than the last time I checked, they recently produced a batch of lightweight beaver felts for another local retailer and they weren't quite so much.

Jel likes this.
  9. You lost me on the “no vintage for me since I have a fairly small head....” 56 to 57 is 7 to 7 1/8 US and those are very common sizes often available at incredible prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Jel

Jel New in Town

Have you seen them use hemp like stetson stratoliner hemp?

11. Jel

Jel New in Town

I always thought my head was small. I guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the heads up

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  12. A smaller head/hat size is a blessing in the vintage market. Spend a couple hours on ebay and you’ll be a happy man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Jel

Jel New in Town

Thanks again!

14. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

No.

15. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

Indeed , 99% of the vintage hats that I come across are way smaller than my 59 to 61 (even a 62) cm hat size. The WHO estimates the average size to be 55cm for women and 57 for men.

I have in fact wondered if (along with the average height) the average head size has grown over the years.
    There are records of these things.

I live in the country where the tallest (on average 182cm ) people in the world live and I am (or at least used to be) 183cm, not very tall by the national standard, still, only 20% of the Dutch population is taller than 180cm.

So it is not unlikely that I find hats sized properly but most are too small and just a few are too big. A few days ago I bought a Brixton Fedora Gain in sage color which was 62 sm but was way bigger than my other hat which reads size 62 and couldn’t be sized down without looking a bit ridiculous.

Most vintage hats are 55 to 57 cm.

I have recently bought a 57cm hat to try to stretch it to my size. I did it ( to the cost of head and sweatband).

Anyway, in the Netherlands, I did say before, we have the Vintage Hatter in Amsterdam (also new hats, mostly, my guess, are from previous years collections ) https://vintagehatter.com, otherwise another shop which I recommend for new hats is Jos van Dijk in Utrecht http://josvandijck.nl https://www.hoedenonline.nl. They helped me to work on a couple of hats and there aren’t too many shops which have the will to do anything serious (aside steaming and stretching) to hats these days!

Jel, steur and Rmccamey like this.
  16. Pellie

Pellie Practically Family

In the netherlands are also 'de Hoedenmaker' http://dehoedenmaker.nl/ en 'Schaduwloper' (Sylvester Maria) instagram profile: https://instagram.com/schaduwloper?igshid=g0w1gt0aq0cy

steur and milandro like this.
  17. milandro

Yes, thanks for the link, I’ve read about Dirk-Jan Kortschot & Marcel de Leeuw

They seem to run a very upmarket shop (expensive ?) seen the location ( the canals' belt of Amsterdam where rent must cost a fortune) and of course they are not only interested in gentlemen’s hats but quite a bit in Ladies hats too ( since they shared the ambition of being able to fashion a hat for Queen Maxima). I had considered them when the time came to cut the brim of a hat of mine. I called them and left a message on their answering machine but I seem to remember that I got no reply so I went to look further.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2164524-een-hoed-maken-voor-maxima-dat-is-de-ultieme-droom.html

steur, Pellie and Jel like this.
  18. steur

steur

I had Dirk-Jan Kortschot work on a few hats of mine when they were still located in Arnhem. Very nice fellow and enjoyable to work with. He is the hatmaker and his partner is more the marketing man. The location in Amsterdam is also a bed and breakfast, indeed on a stunning location. Their market is more one-off hats for theatre productions, fashion pieces and the like and they are not cheap, but the work is very good. I didn't use them again because of price and because they were already having trouble sourcing good ribbon.

Pellie, milandro and Jel like this.
  19. milandro

I think Mr. Kortschot also teaches hatmaking.

Most modern hatmakers only target the market of nieuw, bespoke, very expensive hats. Very few would be into renovation and alterations of old hats and if someone sells “ vintage hats” they general have a very limited understanding of the techniques .

Pellie, steur and Jel like this.