Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm planning to drop in there fairly soon (promised myself a good new hat as a treat), so I'll be happy to report back if that's of any help.

Although I can't help but wonder if you might do better talking to someone like Art or Fedora Steve, given where you are. I have to say that the irritation involved in transatlantic shipping is the only reason I'm not.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Lock for sale

I have a Lock that I bought at Brooks Brothers in New York in the early 70's that I'm looking to sell. If you're interested, PM me with an e-mail address. I'll forward some great photos.

Just so you don't waste your time, it's a 7-1/4.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
So what's the story with those smoking hats? I seem to remember seeing them in some old movies, but what is the origin of those anyway?

smokingcap.jpg

They look like a short fez.

matei

One Too Many
Me wife would turf me outta da house if I showed up with one of these on me head.

That being said, I think they're pretty neat, but I imagine you'd need the whole getup (smoking jacket, slippers, old lounge, assorted and sundry smoking paraphenelia) to make it work. I don't have any of the above, nor do I smoke. I wouldn't mind having the rest sans the smoking habit though.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Geo asked:

geo said:
Could anyone comment on the quality of Lock's hats? There's only one model that has the right look, in my opinion, and that's the "Chelsea". Has anyone examined these hats from up close? Are they worth the 160 pounds that they're asking?
Lock do a good hat. One 'claim to fame' in certain hat circles is that there is some doubt as to whether the original Indiana Jones fedora was provided by Lock (a Chelsea like the one shown in your link) or Herbert Johnson (a Poet).

Are they worth £160? By mail order? That's a matter of opinion. You need to understand the way UK gentlemen's outfitters work to judge that. You pay for the priviledge of being allowed in the shop, for the expensive decor when you're in there, the accents of the 'assistants' (all of which makes up 'exclusive service') and most of all you pay for the after sales service. I recently had my hatter clean and reblock a fedora bought in 1980. The cost? Zilch. Gratis. They seemed almost insulted that I had suggested they may charge me. And they'll do that again and again.

You won't benefit from any of that. The 'added value' is not in the hat you will get. So, is it worth it? You judge.

matei

One Too Many
I went into Locke & Co. a few months back to get a hat box... one for shipping. The manager was very nice and said that he'd give me one for a fiver. Not too bad, as the cardboard was so strong that it was a step away from being a wooden crate!

Every time I've gone in they've been helpful - but I haven't purchased anything save for a box from them. I'm not really into low-crowned hats, and they seem to have lots.

It is a nice looking shop though.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Locke and Co is the world's oldest hat store . They are very proffesional and curtious. I was very impressed.
As for the quality , they don't make any hats in England anymore , so to buy one there is foolish . You are overpaying for a label . Their hats are made for them by Tonak and they carry Borsalino hats as well . The only hats still mae in England might be the bowlers and top hats but that's all.
Still ,all and all a very nice place with alot of history . :cool2:

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
Lock do a good hat. One 'claim to fame' in certain hat circles is that there is some doubt as to whether the original Indiana Jones fedora was provided by Lock (a Chelsea like the one shown in your link) or Herbert Johnson (a Poet).

I've heard that story as well; in fact I heard the hat attributed to Lock before Herbert Johnson.

Alan Eardley said:
Are they worth ?Ǭ£160? By mail order? That's a matter of opinion. You need to understand the way UK gentlemen's outfitters work to judge that. You pay for the priviledge of being allowed in the shop, for the expensive decor when you're in there, the accents of the 'assistants' (all of which makes up 'exclusive service') and most of all you pay for the after sales service. I recently had my hatter clean and reblock a fedora bought in 1980. The cost? Zilch. Gratis. They seemed almost insulted that I had suggested they may charge me. And they'll do that again and again.

There's also (if memory serves) the advantage of having them take a complete measurement of the size and shape of your head, and storing it on file so that every hat they subsequently supply is shaped to fit precisely as it should, even if they're FedExing it to you in the back end of Bolivia. With the greatest respect to the reputable hatters here (who are of a similar breed), it's almost certain that when the hat requires maintenance someone like Lock's will still be there to do it, and be proud to see that their hat has survived whatever you've thrown at it. It is no different from visiting a bespoke tailor or cobbler: I'm about to happily pay ?Ǭ£160 for all of that, but probably wouldn't for a standardised hat by mail order.

Out of interest Alan, who do you go to?

geo

As for the quality , they don't make any hats in England anymore , so to buy one there is foolish . You are overpaying for a label . Their hats are made for them by Tonak and they carry Borsalino hats as well . The only hats still mae in England might be the bowlers and top hats but that's all.

I am positively shocked! I thought that the back room of the shop was full of old hat blocks where they block the felt. Are you sure they don't buy the felt elsewhere and block it on the premises? I know they sell Borsalino hats too, but who's Tonak?

I'm concerned so much about the price because on top of the 160 pounds and shipping, I have to pay 37% tax on the value of the hat. It's not a typo, it really is 37%.

The story I read was that Harrison Ford went to Lock and bought a "Chelsea" fedora for his own use, not to wear in a movie.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Chelsea fedora

geo said:
The story I read was that Harrison Ford went to Lock and bought a "Chelsea" fedora for his own use, not to wear in a movie.

That's what I heard, but the doubt (in some people's minds) is caused by a feeling that HF wore his own hat in at least some scenes in ROTLA.

As if it matters...

geo

Yes, the "Antelope" looks good too. Besides green, it also comes in brown, navy, black and grey. What's velour, anyway? Is it brushed felt? There are many velour hats offered at Lock too.

matei

One Too Many
Ah... okay - that makes more sense.

I was picturing a hat made out of that naff material that you find in '70s and '80s car interiors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto