Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lonely Hearts

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Can it possibly be better than this?

honeymoon.gif

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
So I caught this film on DVD, and I was really surprised that it was'nt picked up by a major movie distributor...it's vastly superior to Black Dahlia and Jared Leto's and Salma Hayek's vintage wardrobe is amazing and period accurate. The scenes with Travolta and Gandolfini are a little dry though.
LonelyHearts2.jpg

LonelyHearts3.jpg

LonelyHearts.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I've not seen it yet (not sure if it's out here yet) - saw the advertising for it, looks good. Salma Hayek looks fabulous on the posters, and the clothes look great.

I'm surprised actually it hasn't had more notice as they're reasonably big names in there - Travolta I'd have thought was still big news? Even if he did throw away much of the rebirthed life that Tarantino gave him by doing crap like Phenomenon.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brutal movie. I thought Travolta's and Gandolfini's portrayal of the cops was well done, a mixture of emotional displacement that the savagery and sickness of the killers creates cracks in and revulsion athey're constantly confronted by in the world around them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
resortes805 said:
Cicero,

Did you collect these screen grabs yourself? If so, can you post some pics of Jared Leto's two-toned loafer jackets he wears towards the end of the film?

-resortes

I have a couple of screen grabs for you.

(Movie was a fast-forward thing. Too much scrubbing brains off the wallpaper for my taste.)

Feraud

Bartender
I just saw this film and was impressed with it.
It is a bloody, violent, movie for adults but such is the nature of noir styled crime films.

All of the actors with the exception of Travolta were perfectly cast. Travolta attempted to take the term "wooden acting" to the next level... and succeeded if that is any accomplishment.

Salma Hayek deserves mention as the insanely (key word) jealous lover/partner in crime. She defined femme fatale! Her performance was the gritty and unglamorous half to Jared Leto's outgoing, smarmy con man.

The settings, costumes, etc. were very well done. I am wondering what some of the ladies think about Dern's hairdo. It seemed out of place.

Overall a very fine little film.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I just watched this film last night. I agree with Feraud on the casting of JT. When I try to imagine who would be better cast in the role, I come up with actors from other period films (i.e. Nick Nolte in Mullohand Falls, Russell Crowe in LA Confidential, even Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition).
I ket thinking that Salma Hayek (the best character in the film) would've been great in The Black Dahlia in the role played by Hillary Swank. Her character was a really good balance to Jare Leto's smarmy con-man with little backbone.
I don't think the editing did justice to the backstory that should have been more developed for Travolta's character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points