Lonely Hearts

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by The_Edge, Mar 29, 2007.

1. The_Edge

The_Edge One of the Regulars

New golden era flick coming soon starring that dancing guy from Saturday Night Fever, that mob dude from The Sopranos, that nice fella who really wasn't the killer in Switchback and that gal from Desperado.

http://www.cstar.com/lonelyhearts/

2. happyfilmluvguy

happyfilmluvguy Call Me a Cab

it looks like it was filmed with Technicolor. Noir is back. :D

It also looks like it didn't get many fans. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441774/

It's a limited release, April 13th. :( Too bad

3. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Can it possibly be better than this?

[​IMG]

4. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

So I caught this film on DVD, and I was really surprised that it was'nt picked up by a major movie distributor...it's vastly superior to Black Dahlia and Jared Leto's and Salma Hayek's vintage wardrobe is amazing and period accurate. The scenes with Travolta and Gandolfini are a little dry though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wanna see this. Jared's got swell REAL vintage threads on in that above pic.

6. Jay

Jay Practically Family

I agree. I'd kill for a jacket like that.

7. Not bad

I thought it well-paced and Gandolfini acted Travolta off the screen even if he was using his usual riffs, the wardrobe is fantastic, but the casting of Salma? the real Martha Beck was a big bad ugly woman, not a hot patootie like that.

8. Cicero

Cicero A-List Customer

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've not seen it yet (not sure if it's out here yet) - saw the advertising for it, looks good. Salma Hayek looks fabulous on the posters, and the clothes look great.

I'm surprised actually it hasn't had more notice as they're reasonably big names in there - Travolta I'd have thought was still big news? Even if he did throw away much of the rebirthed life that Tarantino gave him by doing crap like Phenomenon.

10. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

Just saw the trailer from the link provided; looks like something I'll need to check out.

11. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

12. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Brutal movie. I thought Travolta's and Gandolfini's portrayal of the cops was well done, a mixture of emotional displacement that the savagery and sickness of the killers creates cracks in and revulsion athey're constantly confronted by in the world around them.

13. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

All set to watch this one tonight.

14. VegasMike

VegasMike One of the Regulars

added to netflix que, will check this out - thanks for the headsup on this one :)

15. scotrace

My Misses thought Alton Brown would be better.

Hate that guy.

Maybe tomorrow.

16. scotrace

I have a couple of screen grabs for you.

(Movie was a fast-forward thing. Too much scrubbing brains off the wallpaper for my taste.)

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I just saw this film and was impressed with it.
    It is a bloody, violent, movie for adults but such is the nature of noir styled crime films.

All of the actors with the exception of Travolta were perfectly cast. Travolta attempted to take the term "wooden acting" to the next level... and succeeded if that is any accomplishment.

Salma Hayek deserves mention as the insanely (key word) jealous lover/partner in crime. She defined femme fatale! Her performance was the gritty and unglamorous half to Jared Leto's outgoing, smarmy con man.

The settings, costumes, etc. were very well done. I am wondering what some of the ladies think about Dern's hairdo. It seemed out of place.

Overall a very fine little film.

18. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

I just watched this film last night. I agree with Feraud on the casting of JT. When I try to imagine who would be better cast in the role, I come up with actors from other period films (i.e. Nick Nolte in Mullohand Falls, Russell Crowe in LA Confidential, even Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition).
    I ket thinking that Salma Hayek (the best character in the film) would've been great in The Black Dahlia in the role played by Hillary Swank. Her character was a really good balance to Jare Leto's smarmy con-man with little backbone.
    I don't think the editing did justice to the backstory that should have been more developed for Travolta's character.

19. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Tonight...Tonight...(enough of West Side Story)

I'm going to see this one in my local 1924 Playhouse this evening. Can't wait!!;)

20. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Really enjoyed it.

It was a good night's viewing :eusa_clap And loved the outfits.