Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longer jackets in HH; Aero Teamster etc.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Question for you guys with HH Aero Teamsters, 1920 Work Coat's, and similar styles with a length that cover your butts. I was considering one, but imagining it I'm wondering if may hate wearing a jacket in firm HH where the hem gets sat on, or bunched up in back while I sit in a bucket type seat like in my car, etc. You guys find that an annoyance?

I'm thinking a floppier jacket in something like goat or thin cowhide might not be as big a nuisance, but I'm wondering if firm horsehide is just better left to shorter jackets.

I think Vicenza might be the way to go. Lighter hides make for more
flexible longer jackets IMHO. Shinki is used by Himel Bros. & Freewheelers for their longer coats and they look great!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I own a Aero Teamster in heavy FQHH, heavier than any other FQHH jacket I have handled ever, the real thick stuff and I never had any problems with it when driving or sitting on the train to work. It's only 27" long but I never had any problems in my 30" long JL Car Coat in 3.5 oz bison either.

zebedee

One Too Many
I have a stockman in black fqhh. Asked for lighter hide and no internal pockets. Pretty much my favourite jacket now- gradually fading to brown.

Extra length is no problem. Better than my cafe racer which I always suspect is too short...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a LHB and drive a Mustang GT with bucket seats. No problem at all. You just sort of grab the bottom hem on both sides, pull it forward a bit, and forget about it.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of longer jackets .. the Aero VDR ( Veste De Rallye), Alexander/SB Levant, Aero LHB and Schott 740N in leather being favourites of mine for many years.

I've owned a few including :

Aero VDR x 5 ( 42's and 44's) in FQHH and Steer ... seriously tough jackets and almost unbreakable .. possibly my favourite Aero of all !
Aero Cheyenne in FQHH ..... just as tough if not tougher than the VDR
Aero Stockman in steerhide ... didn't keep it long armholes were a bit weird almost too high so dug into my armpit .. back on ebay within a day
Aero LHB ( Long Halfbelt) x 2 MWFQHH and Steerhide ... superb jacket .... best balance of both worlds in MWFQHH ... the one I turn to in winter and my 3rd longest serving jacket
Aero Barnstormers x 3 ( 2 FQHH and one Steerhide ... steerhide is MUCH more pliable after a little wear)
Schott 740N ( steerhide) x 4 ( just bought another one ) .... much more maleable and just as durable but about 1/2 the weight of the VDR ... my longest serving jacket :)
Alexanders Long Rider .... like a long long halfbelt ... a great jacket ( but REALLY heavy in Heavy Steer with a blanket lining)
Alexanders Levant x 2 ( like the Aero Stockman ... narrower and less boxy than the VDR) .. still a keeper ( for now)
Lost Worlds Bedford .... 44" was too big (long in arms and body ... unfortunately ebay didn't have a 42" :) )
A few Sam Walker "VDR's"
A few Sam Walker Barnstormers

I actually find that the extra length is much better when sitting in the car as I sit almost ON it and it doesn't bunch up at all .... I find shorter jackets are a bigger issue than the longer ones. When sitting on normal seats e.g. train and tube it's not an issue at all. The only caution I'd give is that I'd always go lighter in hide rather than heavy ... it will drape better and be MUCH more comfortable to wear ..... it also won't weigh as much ( these jackets can be seriously heavy .. one of my VDR's weighed in at almost 8Kg ISTR .. yes I did empty the pockets :) )

HTH

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Barnstormer in FQHH which is arguably the "heavy artillery" when it comes to leather coats/jackets and I have never once found it uncomfortable, annoying or cumbersome when driving in it. It's also worth remembering that these styles (like the Barnstormer) were developed as aviation and motoring coats in the immediate post WWI years so specifically for use whilst sitting down in an open cockpit or motorcar. The length was to keep the elements off your kidneys, rump and lower torso.

Don't be afraid, if you want a longer length jacket/coat and even in a heavy hide go for it. I reckon that there might even be a few of us here who just happen to think they're more practical and dare I say, cooler than the shorter styles :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had a Teamster in FQHH and now have a long Hercules in Vicenza. As Plumbline said, you end up siting on the tail of the jacket so its often less of a problem than some of the shorter jackets. No real noticeable difference in weight when wearing between the 2 imo.

Here you go:
image.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Teamster is the only FQHH that I own; all my others are either goat or MWHH. I have never had any issue with wearing my Teamster, including sitting on it. I am 6'2" and the back length is 28.5" but could easily have gone with 30"-31". No funky creases or folds. Hopefully wdw will respond as he owns a couple of Teamsters and a couple of Stockmans. Cyber Lip, I noted you live in Seattle where, as I recall, you can have six months of cold, rainy weather. FQHH is relatively water resistant, and my Teamster is also warm with the moleskin body shell lining.

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, like others have said, the longer they are the less they bunch as you sit more on them. I've not had any issues with creases or folds.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm one who way prefers the look of longer jackets but from personal experience I would not get hide heavier than 2.5oz. I've been contemplating a 2.2oz horsehide Hercules without cargo pockets. While I have the funds, I can't justify wasting dollars on a jacket I don't need.

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The weight is something that you should probably consider. The difference in weight between my mariner and 30sHB, both fqhh, is substantial. The mariner is double breasted though.

wdw

One Too Many
I've never had an issue with weight, but I get 38/40. At the time of storse, I weighed all my FQHH jackets and they ranged from about 2kg for a short HB to only 2.7kg or so for both Stockmans.

I gather steer is heavier, but how Plumbline ended up with an 8kg VDR is beyond me. That should've been in a museum. That, I'd love to see (and try on).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Some people don't mind the weight it's true. Wish I was one of them. I had a lovely 3oz half-belt for a couple of years, only wore it about 20 times. Hated the feel of the thing and it was never cold enough.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Do you ever sit on them wrong here and there though and get a big funky crease or fold?

I think you have a wrong idea of just how sturdy that FQHH is. Folds or creases because you sit on it? I folded mine back and forth, sitting on it while watching TV. Even days of that procedure left it no more than a bit less stiff. No folds, no creases.

Plumbline

One Too Many
That VDR truely was the mohemoth of jackets ... brown FQHH I tried to break it in over about 4 years ... It felt great originally, REALLY heavy, became quite tiring to wear after a really short time and in cold weather stiffened up horribly so much so that I could hardly bend my arms. It did soften a bit but in the end I moved it on as it was just too unweildy. It should be noted that in the late 90's I had an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin ( I had a Dutton Phaeton Kit Car at the time) which weighed just about the same and was equally as uncomfortable ... for comparison the closest heavy jacket I currently have is my Aero (42") ANJ-4 4.6Kg ( almost the same weight as my shearling lined LHB in MWHH at 4.5Kg).

There was a time under the old management that "heavy" thick hide became something of a feature ( and I'm not talking about the Storse debacle) in fact in many respects the heavier the hide the better with 4.5-5oz hides not being uncommon ... horses for courses I guess ( or perhaps I've just become weak and soft with age :) )

Reactions: wdw

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
That VDR truely was the mohemoth of jackets ... brown FQHH I tried to break it in over about 4 years ... It felt great originally, REALLY heavy, became quite tiring to wear after a really short time and in cold weather stiffened up horribly so much so that I could hardly bend my arms. It did soften a bit but in the end I moved it on as it was just too unweildy. It should be noted that in the late 90's I had an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin ( I had a Dutton Phaeton Kit Car at the time) which weighed just about the same and was equally as uncomfortable ... for comparison the closest heavy jacket I currently have is my Aero (42") ANJ-4 4.6Kg ( almost the same weight as my shearling lined LHB in MWHH at 4.5Kg).

There was a time under the old management that "heavy" thick hide became something of a feature ( and I'm not talking about the Storse debacle) in fact in many respects the heavier the hide the better with 4.5-5oz hides not being uncommon ... horses for courses I guess ( or perhaps I've just become weak and soft with age :) )

I love heavy jackets, my next one will be an Aero in the 4 oz cordovan steer and I'll ask for the heavier the better. I cannot decide whether to go for a slightly overlong Highwayman (26" desired) or a Veste de Rallye. After reading your comments here, I'm fairly sure which one you would recommend to me. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider