Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a lightweight chambry shirt

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
As the title says I'm looking for a lightweight chambray shirt. I'm wanting something along the lines of a light blue, long sleeve, button up workshirt. I had one years ago that was made by LL Bean. It was light enough I could wear it in the summer with the sleeves rolled up and good for the rest of the year with a shirt layered underneath.
Does anyone know where I can find a good quality workshirt? I'm trying to get that regular old joe worker look.
Thanks all....

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I guess I left off an important request....no button down collar and preferabilly patch pockets with not flaps. But that Bean one might do in a pinch. Any other places I might look?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I like the look of this one but without the $200 price!
buyNow02h.jpg

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Have any of you heard of this company?
http://www.postoveralls.com/

Looks like they are only available in Japan.....I hate finding just the right piece of traditional American clothing only to find it is available in Japan or Europe only!

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Post Overalls are far more expensive than any of the other Japanese repros. They seem really nice and might be worth the cost, but I don't see how they could possibly be better than the buzz rickson shirt and they cost about twice as much. I have the BR one as well as a few vintage ones. WWII impressions has really nice looking ones under the navy uniforms. They are cheaper than the Buzz Rickson and you don't have to deal with the crappy customer service at HPA.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
almost forgot the most galling part. I think that the Post Overalls stuff is either partly or wholely manufactured in the United STates. I spent a while a few months back trying to figure out where, but found nothing.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
The Post Overall merch is made in NEW JERSEY. It is indeed better than the Buzz/Sugar Cane workwear. Some of the stuff is just unbelievable.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Mudinyereye, what exactly makes them so much better than the Buzz Rickson/Sugar Cane/Warehouse Co. or other Japanese repros to justify the prices. I thought it was just the premium paid in Japan for stuff made in the USA.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I know it sounds crazy.
You'd have to hold the garments in your hands to see the diference. I dig Toyo products very much, and have a bunch of Sugar Cane and Rickson's stuff that I wear often, but they are mass-produced by a HUGE corporation and sometimes skimp on the quality of materials or construction (and their skimped materials/construction are still VERY good, don't get me wrong). Maybe this has to do with Toyo now manufacturing alot of their goods in China and Korea. Certain other smaller companies produce a more consistantly exquisite product than Toyo (the great Warehouse comes immediately to mind, Real McCoy's Japan is another) and handle quality control with a bullwhip. Post Overalls is one of these companies. Their stuff is nuts. They use shell and glass cat's eye buttons, their fabrics are custom loomed and dyed in tiny batches, the weird little stitching details are remarkable (just the crazy geometric way they sew their labels on is mind-boggling, tiny bartacks on gusset slits, etc.)
I used to to think Toyo was the be-all-end-all, now I now different.

penfencer

Familiar Face
I have an old, beat up Oshgosh chambray shirt. It's perfect. I've been searching all over for a new one- or two.

Good chambray shirts were all over the place ten years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points