Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a shearling jacket for winter, any advice for B3,B6,D1 or other?

carl_c

Familiar Face
The lowest winter temperature in my place is around 20F, it can sometimes get 10F but very rare. I konw B3 is the warmest, and B6 is a lightweight version of B3, but I don't know much about D1. To me, I can only tell D1 from B6 by the zipped pockets.

I've heard that B3 is too bulky and cumbersome for everyday wearing. One dude told me that it took him 2 mins and efforts to put on his backpack with B3 on. So for those who owns these jackets, I want some advices.

BTW, I want to give one of these British leather companies a try, AERO seems a good choice, because I've heard EASTMAN been too hard core doing retro, they intentionally make the leather looks as bad as those during the war.

I live in Indiana. Much of our winter a B3 is sweltering unless out trudging in deep snow and a strong winter wind. A D-1 and B-6 are the same length shorter shearling. The B-6 is just a little more trim and stylish. It seems both would suit your temps. I really enjoy wearing my Aero B-6. I've had it for years...

afb32.JPG

carl_c

Familiar Face
I live in Indiana. Much of our winter a B3 is sweltering unless out trudging in deep snow and a strong winter wind. A D-1 and B-6 are the same length shorter shearling. The B-6 is just a little more trim and stylish. It seems both would suit your temps. I really enjoy wearing my Aero B-6. I've had it for years...

View attachment 138809

That looks good on you, I didn't know AERO has insignia options, I didn't find that on their website. Do you know how much does AERO charge you for customized sleeve/body length and insignia?

carl_c
Are you talking about the name tag? They used to carry them. This is a size 40 purchased off of their sale page that fits long. I have long arms and torso and usually require a custom fit but didn't in this case.
This was purchased years ago. Just email Aero with your questions. Look on Aero Military at the bottom of that page on their site. Click on insignia. Name tags are mentioned at the bottom.
HD

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I swapped my Aero ANJ-4 for one of their D-1s because the former was just way too warm for the Scottish climate. It looked fantastic but I was lucky if I got to wear it for two or three months of the year, though it meant I could go out with just a light top under and not feel a damn thing! But in the short time I had it last winter, the D-1's shorter fleece meant I got a lot more use out of it.

Last edited:

carl_c

Familiar Face
carl_c
Are you talking about the name tag? They used to carry them. This is a size 40 purchased off of their sale page that fits long. I have long arms and torso and usually require a custom fit but didn't in this case.
This was purchased years ago. Just email Aero with your questions. Look on Aero Military at the bottom of that page on their site. Click on insignia. Name tags are mentioned at the bottom.
HD
Thanks for the info

carl_c

Familiar Face
carl_c
HD
BTW, I have no ideal about the weather Indiana, but that's not far from Mizzouri, I used to lived in Missouri, it's cold there in winter.

carl_c

Familiar Face
I swapped my Aero ANJ-4 for one of their D-1s because the former was just way too warm for the Scottish climate. It looked fantastic but I was lucky if I got to wear it for two or three months of the year, though it meant I could go out with just a light top under and not feel a damn thing! But in the short time I had it last winter, the D-1's shorter fleece meant I got a lot more use out of it.
How do you like the D1, I like some of the details of B6 better, but I do like the zipped pocket on D1, I will feel more confident of not losing my phone and wallet with it.

BTW, I have no ideal about the weather Indiana, but that's not far from Mizzouri, I used to lived in Missouri, it's cold there in winter.

A lot like the weather that you described in your post. Down to 20F ( sometimes dipping into the teens ). We've had very little snow the last few years...but used to get 4-6" or more.

powersci

One of the Regulars
I own all of those jackets from Aero. Just got my new redskin B-6 in, too!

For reference, I live in Chicago. The B-3 is definitely a heavy jacket and it doesn't get worn on a regular basis. It did get used quite a few times last winter when we had some bitterly cold days. I also don't mind wearing it while walking the dog. The D-1 ended up being my go to jacket. I like the boxy fit and zippered pockets. My new B-6 will probably become my new regular wear jacket once winter is well underway.

As for Aero D-1 vs. B-6, the thickness of the shearling is the same. The rest is the cut (B6 is trimmer) and the style.

If you need help ordering, definitely reach out to Carrie @ Thurston Brothers. If you commit to ordering with her she can get you a fit jacket and walk you through the process so your jacket is perfect. I've ordered 4 jackets through her and have been very happy!

carl_c

Familiar Face
I own all of those jackets from Aero. Just got my new redskin B-6 in, too!

For reference, I live in Chicago. The B-3 is definitely a heavy jacket and it doesn't get worn on a regular basis. It did get used quite a few times last winter when we had some bitterly cold days. I also don't mind wearing it while walking the dog. The D-1 ended up being my go to jacket. I like the boxy fit and zippered pockets. My new B-6 will probably become my new regular wear jacket once winter is well underway.

As for Aero D-1 vs. B-6, the thickness of the shearling is the same. The rest is the cut (B6 is trimmer) and the style.

If you need help ordering, definitely reach out to Carrie @ Thurston Brothers. If you commit to ordering with her she can get you a fit jacket and walk you through the process so your jacket is perfect. I've ordered 4 jackets through her and have been very happy!

I konw how it feels walking in Chicago, especially by the lake, if D1 or B6 is sufficient, and B3 is too cumbersome, I think I would choose from one of these. And about this Thurston Brothers, I do see it's mentioned quite a lot, is it a proxy of AERO in the US? Will I get a better price from them than from AERO directly?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
But, powersci says he owns all 3. My $.02 is that it is unlikely that any one of the three will cover all your bases. There are times when a B3 will be too heavy and there are times when a B6/D1 wont be heavy enough. In a perfect world the answer is both. Understanding that it may not be possible you need to decide which temp range you want to prepare for. I suppose the benefit of the 6/1 is that you can layer underneath. I live in Chicago as well. Temps range from -10 to 95 f during the year. I like the Anj-4. I wear it Dec/Jan/Feb, then it waits.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I solve the problem by having a B3 made with the B6 shearling.
So it’s not to bothersome to wear and I can wear it even in the south of France.

fc99daed72800c06f328d34a94076d35.png

SpeedRcrX, that is a great looking jacket!!! Nice and Toasty Warm looking for those chilly chilly days in France! I am located in Tennessee and we get cold weather every once in awhile but not enough for sheepskin. Looks like a perfect fit!!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
How do you like the D1, I like some of the details of B6 better, but I do like the zipped pocket on D1, I will feel more confident of not losing my phone and wallet with it.

I actually got an off-the-peg one that was made without the zips. The pockets are pretty deep, so stuff won't fall out easily, and I don't miss the scrape of freezing cold zip my hands first thing on a chilly morning.

powersci

One of the Regulars
And about this Thurston Brothers, I do see it's mentioned quite a lot, is it a proxy of AERO in the US? Will I get a better price from them than from AERO directly?

I ordered direct from Aero once with an off the rack jacket. I forgot about customs. Also, when the jacket didn't fit right, I had to pay a hefty sum to do the return shipment.

With Thurston Bros you can make the down payment and start with a fit jacket so you know exactly what you'll be getting. When one in-stock jacket didn't work from Thurston, Carrie helped me figure out which measurements I could change and what Aero would allow. It was so much easier doing that with her than coordinating with Aero in a 6-hour time difference. Plus, when I order a custom Aero through Thurston, they handle all the paperwork, shipping, and customs. They build that into the price. If it's something they have in-stock, you might get a small deal (e.g. $50 off) than ordering direct through Aero when you include shipping/customs.

But, powersci says he owns all 3. My $.02 is that it is unlikely that any one of the three will cover all your bases. There are times when a B3 will be too heavy and there are times when a B6/D1 wont be heavy enough.

Bfd70 is right; none of these will handle all weather. Again, I find the D1 and B6 to be more versatile that the B3. Those lighter weight shearlings can be worn with just a t-shirt under them without getting cold. On the other hand, I once shoveled snow wearing my B3 and a t-shirt. Within about 10 minutes I was sweating, had the B-3 unzipped and was ready to take it off! That should also speak to the (in)flexibility of the B3. Yes, they can be cumbersome due to their bulk, but I can shovel wearing one.

Here are some pics of the my B3, old D1, my new D1, and my old B6. I still need to get pics of my new B6, but I gotta do it without my husband knowing I bought yet another Aero jacket. I've become very partial to redskin.

Aero B-3 Size 40
(ref: I have a 37" chest and this 40 fits like a dream)
04IN2Snl.png

LHjk9pwl.png

Aero D-1 Size 40 (sold it)
G0P9HDYl.jpg

Aero D-1 Size 38 (custom measurements)
gnr0aE3l.png

Aero B-6 Size 38 (sold it)
2LJGqYWl.jpg

Aero Redskin B-6 (size 40)
cGyIrK4l.jpg

Last edited:

powersci

One of the Regulars
I solve the problem by having a B3 made with the B6 shearling.
So it’s not to bothersome to wear and I can wear it even in the south of France.

Nice jacket! It's great that you can wear a B-3 in the south of France. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
^ i like the look of all of them. Remember i live close and am About the same size. Pm me if anything is headed for the chopping block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ