Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a specific hat manufacturer

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...
Years ago I came across a hat in Heathrow, made in New York by Scott Hats.
The best and finest fedora I have ever had or seen.
In an eccident, which also left me injured, it was terribly crushed and I am sending it off to be cleaned and reblocked but have also been searching to buy another one or 6 of them.
Can anyone tell me where I might find a dealer?

Thanks in advance and a tip of the hat...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Scott was an earlier incarnation of Arnold Hats... whose (newer) Eighth Avenue store just closed a few months ago. (I had bought a fedora there in the late 80s when it was still called Scott Hatters. The building that earlier store was in was knocked down a few years ago to built the huge new NY Times headquarters.)

See the article below, including the link on "Arnold Hatters" in the first paragraph.

http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2009/06/arnold-hatters-old-flagship.html

And I don't think they were a manufacturer, their house brand was probably made by Biltmore or one of the other large makers.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Dr Strange is right. The Scott name was used by Arnold Hats when they had a store on 42nd st during the 1980's. The store is long gone as is Arnolds. The hat itself was made by Bollman Hats.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Thank you for the info

Thanks for the replies, I followed the info provided and I believe that the closest there is the Gangster by Bailey Hats (of Bollman).
The founder of the company, George Bailey, leading me to believe: "It's a Wonderful Life"
I think I am going to have to get a couple of the hats there, their Fedora and the Wallis having hats similar but slightly detunedto both in my everyday wear and wanting others in dark for evening wear.
Thanks again for the information

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Scott Wood said:
I think I am going to have to get a couple of the hats there
But you might be kind enough to buy them from a FL vendor (if available) as a way to repay us for the info.;)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Bailey Gangster is a wool hat. What you saw with the Scott Hats name was probably a fur felt hat.
Stay away from wool unless there are bugetary constraints.We have many hats such as the Temple from Stetson that look exactly the same but are of much better quality.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Purchasing Hats

besdor said:
The Bailey Gangster is a wool hat. What you saw with the Scott Hats name was probably a fur felt hat.
Stay away from wool unless there are bugetary constraints.We have many hats such as the Temple from Stetson that look exactly the same but are of much better quality.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
As you can see I am a neewbie to all this here, I have always just gone to the shop and found what I liked and wanted.
About purchasing from an FL vendor... I am looking at the sites linked and would do so if I buy online but I would like to find hats that are sold in the shops within driving distance.
The reason I had defaulted to Bailey was that they list a vendor in Saskatoon, the nearest city of any size, bu tam more than willing to purchase as recommended as long as the quality is there in the hat, LOL!
Now going to look at the Bencraft site :)

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Security Clearance

Seems I am unable to PM or contact anyone directly as yet so I will add to buddy list and I do show my two forms of internet contact if anyone should choose to contact me.
I guess I have been lucky with my hats(for the most-part) up to now and really require a crash course in haberdashery.
At the Bencraft Hatters site I came across two fedora-style hats that I think might fill my dress hat needs: a black Temple and a brown Windham.
Have never owned a snap-brim but brown is always more casual and the crisp edged black would go well with my tux and the navy blue pin.
I have learned more about hats in the last week than I knew before and I am loving it :eusa_clap

Thanks to you all!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Scott Wood said:
Seems I am unable to PM or contact anyone directly as yet so I will add to buddy list and I do show my two forms of internet contact if anyone should choose to contact me.
I guess I have been lucky with my hats(for the most-part) up to now and really require a crash course in haberdashery.
At the Bencraft Hatters site I came across two fedora-style hats that I think might fill my dress hat needs: a black Temple and a brown Windham.
Have never owned a snap-brim but brown is always more casual and the crisp edged black would go well with my tux and the navy blue pin.
I have learned more about hats in the last week than I knew before and I am loving it :eusa_clap

Thanks to you all!

You only need 15 posts to get PM priveledges. Make a few more posts and you are good to go. Oh, and welcome to the FL.:eusa_clap

Scott Wood

Practically Family
One more post

handlebar bart said:
You only need 15 posts to get PM priveledges. Make a few more posts and you are good to go. Oh, and welcome to the FL.:eusa_clap

Thanks for the welcome :)
Have felt a lot of that here (5x fur felt lol ) and this is one more post in my quiver, LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points