Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Advice on a Flat Cap

Kreyzhorse

New in Town
Good morning all,

I've been lurking around here for a while and I'm looking for some advice so I figured this would be a good place to start.

I'm looking to buy a wool borsalino ivy cap (bald + winter = cold skull) or something similiar and was looking for brand suggestions and a reputable on-line retailer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

londonboy

Familiar Face
A Scottish maker such as Johnstons may be cheaper. They do mail order, but Johnstons itself has no website catalog. You can still google for their e-mail or call.

K

kpreed

I have a Newsboy cap ($12.95) by Jaxon (Herringbone 8/4) bought at the village hat shop that I wear most days and llke a lot. I find they do the job well and are not high in price.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hat People.com

I can recommend them personally. They have several styles of newsboy cap, in several fabrics, most $30-40, with an elastic inside the sweatband which can be pulled out and pinned to a custom fit with a baby safety pin.

This is their grey wool "full cut" cap ($40). The stock model has a button on top, which I removed.
2119168492_c664503147.jpg
2118392205_6de3280d3c.jpg

Unusually, it has no snap on the bill. It sits forward easily but can also be pulled back for that Russian peasant look.
2119168664_6959fb60e2_o.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depending on what you're going for, you might try J Crew, which currently has some flat caps on clearance (and some not). A number of the clearance ones are patch tweed, which I like but might not be everyone's cup of tea. A friend picked these two up for me, one in blues, one in grays (bad pic; there's an earthtones I want to track down, too):

capsng7.jpg

Caleb Bogart

New in Town
This hat is a bit newer than most on this site, but I think it keep the same spirit. The picture attached somewhere here (I am not good with technology) is me wearing my most prized possession. An old Levi denim flat cap. My mother got it from a friend at school when she was a little girl in the early 1970s and gave it to my grandfather. He wore it to the factory for years before I came along and started playing with it. I never gave it back. I was raised by my grandparents, and when I was packing up to move out into the great unknown land that is the adult world, I asked grampa where "the hat" was...I think he wanted to keep it for himself, but I wasn't having it. I wore that thing to school, to the playground, on vacations, and to bed most nights. Some kids have teddy bears, I had and old, worn out, sweat stained cap of questionable origins.
I have never seen another Levi blue jean flat cap exactly like it. Levi normally documents there products well, but I have found nothing on it. Anybody else, know where I could find a duplicate? The poor thing is about to fall apart now, and would like to find another, that I can wear every day, and not worry about it disintegrating on my head.

Attachments

• 1972490_486147911512053_6390785871285591832_n.jpg
    1972490_486147911512053_6390785871285591832_n.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 142

Edward

Bartender
I had something very similar made by Cordova Caps a couple of years ago in denim. I also have fine caps from Barry Simonds, who I'm sure could produce something lovely too. Thirties-style European caps, nice and wide, with a one-piece top, as distinct from the more US-style eight-panel type. Highly recommend them both - I think they both deal through Etsy. You'll find examples of both their work on a lot of the cap threads round here. Both wonderful to deal with.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Levi's did make this cap. I have seen them on eBay off and on. They where not big sellers but I have seen a few of they the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you know anyone who's good with a sewing machine? Absent that, there are some very talented custom cap makers around here. This is an easy one!!

Caleb Bogart

New in Town
As luck would have it, I have found no less than 4 of these buggers online now...I swear, I have looked high and low for years, and now they all get posted all at once! Is it just me, or is that a bit creepy?

RJR

As luck would have it, I have found no less than 4 of these buggers online now...I swear, I have looked high and low for years, and now they all get posted all at once! Is it just me, or is that a bit creepy?
Yeh,I often have the same experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112