Looking for an everyday "Adventure" Straw

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mingoslim, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mingoslim

mingoslim Practically Family

I need the help of our brotherhood . . .

I am looking for an everyday straw . . . Something that would look good in your "typical" adventure film. Think a straw Indian Jones . . . Lost Worlds . . . The Dark Continent . . . :)

The best I ever had was twenty years ago:

1994 - abila 1.jpg

abila 7.jpg

My most recent is a Pendelton Straw . . . not bad, but getting a bit "aged". So I need to find a new one . . .
    Any thoughts?

2. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

Check Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth. They have an Indy Milan. I think RBH has one of them.

3. Landman

Landman One Too Many

4. DougC

DougC Practically Family

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  5. fedoralover

fedoralover Call Me a Cab

I've seen the sun bodies and agree. The only drawback is they are heavier. But if that doesn't bother you that would be the way to go. Mike at Northwest hats was selling them and he will shape it for you and put on a ribbon of your choice. I'm not sure what his price is but give him a call and see if he has any left.

Fedoralover

6. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I've always liked the look of the Peters Bros Indy Milan. The website is going through some changes, but this is the hat they offer:

[​IMG]

I'll be in Ft Worth in a week or so - hoping to have time to swing by the store and look around.

7. Landman

Landman One Too Many

That is a nice looking Milan, David.

Doug, that is the Sunbody hat I usually buy. I have several that I have shaped differently.

8. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Plus one on the Sunbodys
    Order the Guatemalan, Order 1/2 size large.
    They are cheap, durable, packable, and they ship rather well, Big Brown Truck, rather than "We Smashed it"
    Go open crown and crease it to your preference
    Nice bow on Peter's Brothers
    Richard

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  9. mingoslim

The Peter Bros looks good . . . So does the Sunbodys. And at that price, I have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the great ideas . . . anyone else have any thoughts?

10. Geldoc

Geldoc One of the Regulars

I've got one of the Peters Bros Indy Milans, and second what David said. In the past, at least, these were made in multiple colors, including brown, tan and grey.

11. RJR

RJR

The PB Indy Milan looks really nice.

12. mingoslim

Contacted Mike at Northwest hats, and seeing about a Sunbody . . . will let you all know how it comes out.

13. Sunbody's shape easily. They are heavy for straw hats. Without vents, they don't breathe well.
    I've used large brimmed ones for outdoor work = good shade.

14. DougC

DougC Practically Family

True--but you can use physics (the evaporation effect) by putting cold water in the hat to wet the straw and you will be plenty cool. I did that when I went to a SASS shoot in a 100 plus degrees; worked great! You can also have Sunbody put vents in the side of the crown.

15. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

If you do buy the Sunbody, you need to soak the hat and wear it dry once a month in the summer. You'll be VERY happy if you get the vent holes also. I wear mine quite a bit, but I do like the shape of that PB Milan.

Later

Dm101 likes this.
  16. runningbare

runningbare New in Town

I really like my sunbody hats,but they are hot as hell here in Florida.I bought a outback trading vented hat called the river guide with mesh..It is much cooler and holds up well.If you have a Cabelas visa you can get it free after enough points are saved.

17. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I've been thinking of getting one for ages.

On their old site was a black milan that I really liked. Never got to order it and I satisfied my black milan lust with a VS Dualist instead.

18. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

No one has mentioned Akubra polystraws - not sure if you want to go that route. Yes, they're plastic, but nicely vented and nearly indestructible. The Capricorn, Rink and Country Club have classic fedora dimensions. The Capricorn and Rink are exactly the same except for the available colors - the Country Club has a wider brim. I had a Sunbody for a while, man it was heavy and didn't breathe a bit, though I sure liked the way it looked.

Here's an Akubra Rink with a custom ribbon added - I think the color is cream:
    [​IMG]

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm a fan of those Akubras. I've come to prefer polystraw over the real thing... less fragile and can take the rain. Tempted by a Sunbody for variation though. The PB Indy is the best looker of them all... how does it hold up to rain and such? If as durable as the Capricorn, I'd consider a couple...

20. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

What you need is a Stratton service straw, imo they are swell hats (felt too) and will take lots of abuse.
    Look for vintage, and they are always pretty inexpensive. [huh]

Here are six for thirty two bucks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014