Looking for inspiration for a bespoke bike jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Nick in London, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Nick in London

Nick in London New in Town

I'm having a jacket made by BKS https://www.bksleather.co.uk/. It will be functional safety gear with an airbag in the lining but I have a fairly free hand in how it will look. I've decided on a lancer front and I'm leaning towards a plain, modern design in white leather with perforations. It won't be a Perfecto clone, I've already got one of those. Colours, adornments, pockets, hardware, laser engraving...the choices are endless. I've been looking for pics of interesting bike jackets for ideas. Below is a selection. I'd be grateful for any other inspiring examples!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nick in London

Some more....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nick in London

4. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

I bought a petrol blue BKS jacket that was seriously thick and heavy. I quickly gifted it bc it did not fit but came away knowing BKS makes some serious and top-level riding gear.

5. Nick in London

He (Mr BKS, aka Brian) prioritises safety and longevity. His gear takes a lot of breaking in but it stays looking perfect forever, unlike the Italian alternatives, which are comfortable right away and look a bit tired after one season. He introduced new standards to the British market. He made me a 2 piece suit 30 years ago but I can't get into it any more. Maybe it will fit when I'm a shrunken old man. I crashed it once and he resurfaced the damaged area somehow. It still looks fantastic. It got a lot of appreciation from women whenever I wore it to France....well worth the expense. There's nothing quite like having made to measure leather from a proper tailor...it's like a second skin.

JMax likes this.
  6. red devil

red devil One Too Many

They do, I have a riding suit from them.

@Nick in London keep in mind that the tech air system is bulky, and will affect the appearance and feel of the jacket

sweetfights likes this.
  7. Nick in London

Do you have a jacket with Tech Air?

8. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Yeah

9. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

10. Nick in London

It is Roland Sands! I don't know which one. I also like the other one...I think it might be Tom Ford.

11. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I wouldn't go over the top with design options. Rather keep it classic and play with colors instead. Black with stripes and stuff always looks good, see Easy Rider jacket. Or go for a two tone jacket. Look at vintage Bates for color combination inspiration. @ton312 owns the coolest CR ever, which is a blue/white Bates.

ton312 likes this.
  12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Don't play with matches; don't mix your drinks, never start a land war in Asia and never take leather jacket advice from fashion designers.

sweetfights, Jejupe, navetsea and 4 others like this.
  13. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

This thread makes me feel like i clicked something wrong and ended up on the styleforum...
    What is happening, i am scared!

sweetfights, navetsea, Guppy and 2 others like this.
  14. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Oh you mean this little beauty. It is fantastic. Killed my need for any other CR.
    7CD3A8E7-7B43-461E-9E65-520568F45C9F.jpeg 32831AC8-4CB0-4588-A56A-0F0D0AA8DFC9.jpeg

15. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

It does look a bit tight on you... I think it would fit me just right!

Jejupe and ton312 like this.
  16. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

That idea is worth a Schott;)

Carlos840 likes this.
  17. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

AbbaDatDeHat and ton312 like this.
  18. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

I have doodled several jacket models I wanted to custom order for myself but later decided to change the model before I went with snap buttons , some are lancer front zips, you can use it if you want for personal use
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the one I finally went with
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  19. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's exactly that. The particular surfacing on the oxblood - as well as the zipper being set in what is traditionally the female side, but for a man's jacket - are the real giveaways.

I blow hot and cold on cafe racers as well as 'race replica' jackets, but that one just has something special.... it's almost like what a varsity jacket wants to be when it grows up.

ton312 likes this.